Some Thoughts on The Blog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog

Wow...

Well, I just finished reading what had posted since I went to bed Friday night and I am sorry to see things degenerated a bit here.

Some thoughts:

Again, I think getting caught up on what is or is not "bullying" is kinda pointless. Bullying, again, merely means "to treat abusively." It's an almost outrageously vague word so of course we're all going to draw different lines as to when something "becomes" "bullying". The larger point should be that whether or not it is "bullying", certain behaviour is just mean and uncalled for here.  

I will disagree with Lily that the percentage of posters who actually engage in mean spirited comments and therefore are somewhat hypocritical in criticizing others is actually as high as suggested, although if you're only talking about regulars or elite posters, or whatever you want to call them, then perhaps. 

That being said, we're human and sometimes, you're in a bad mood and someone/something rubs you the wrong way and you say something you shouldn't. That's one thing. But calculated and repeated instances are something else entirely and that's where the self-policing comes in. Sometimes it's works, I believe it was Porkchop who gave some examples where it did, but sometimes those engaging in such behavior are embraced rather than shunned, and they're encouraged in their behavior and that is a problem and I believe it does happen.

P.S. Go Pats!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DryHumor. Show DryHumor's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : Have you ever posted here under another name, DryHumor? And the majority of us have called out or reported the "mean" sockpuppets for that sort of behavior.
    Posted by Lily-

No Lily I have not posted under another name.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

To be fair, you did spell "führer" incorrectly.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Sometimes the in-jokes are funny.  Sometimes they are exclusionary.     
    Posted by wizen

I suppose the difference is whether you get them or not?

To a certain extent, any conversation that is off topic is exclusionary of anyone who is offended/bored by it.  Any time someone posts in another language, any time people A,B,C have an interesting conversation when people X,Y,Z are in a meeting and can't participate, any comment that is directed specifically at someone...  all of these things can be 'exclusionary.'  When Sally & CHC discuss tabouleh, or when Dread and I make plans to build a Red Sox fan robot - we are excluding a ton of people.  90% of the blog doesn't care or want to read it. 

The only thing that makes an in joke different from Jazzy engaging two or three people in a discussion about basketball is that people's feelings are hurt.  I would argue unreasonably so.   There are enough conversations going on simultaneously around here that I don't think we could possibly have any kind of requirement that everyone make sure every comment they make is 100% comprehensible and relevant to every single person.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCorvin. Show MrCorvin's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : If they were truly that good, you would have eaten the whole package. Point proven.  Lily wins. (Of course tonight I find a 7-11)
    Posted by Lily-

Only reason I did not eat the whole package was because I was sharing it with the girlfriend (of course this weekend I wound up buying a package for myself).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Calling someone Hitler rarely adds anything cunstructive to the conversation. I can only assume that civil discourse was not your intent, Creepy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

Everyone should know by now that I only exclude Belgians and Norwegians. Especially those dirty Weegies, totally scandinasty.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

constructive. Oopsy.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

Easy there, Mussolini.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Exactly, Lily. In fact, calling anyone a Nazi or any semblance of the term, who is not actually a Nazi, is rather lazy as an argument.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Well  now, Fascist would be different.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

What if the person feels they are being bullied?  Doesn't that excuse behaving like a jerk?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

(smokes some Pol pot)

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

One of my favorite Right Said Fred songs includes the line; 'Half the world blows, and the other half sucks.'

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaptainfriday. Show kaptainfriday's posts

No way to ketchup on this thread.

So, as happens all the time, I'm gonna chime in on a subject that's probably been beaten to death.

daveh.

I didn't see anything in The Rooster Assault that was particularly mean or insulting. The Rooster was taking pot shots at whoever happened to be on the blog. daveh happened to be there, and his whiny overblown victim act made him an easy target.

I really like daveh. I wasn't sure if he was putting us on with the whole Sol Rosenberg thing. I thought it was brilliant if he was. Apparently he really is super sensitive to teasing and joking at his expense.

Well, then why would he want to hang out on this blog?

The truth is that daveh was treated with exceptional consideration for his "condition", but he refused to acknowledge that consideration and continued to play the "I'm daveh, your not supposed to pick on me card"

Daveh wasn't run off the blog by anyone but himself.

And by the way, I also, was not The Rooster.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StormyMonsoon. Show StormyMonsoon's posts

I work during the day.  I use my work computer to come here.  I feel uncomfortable doing so regularly because of the comment content.  This is a community that I thought would be fun to be a part of. But I find that I worry about accessing it during my work day.  So I usually pop in in the morning, say a little something and that's mostly it.  I suppose I should be working anyway...

So I'd be for more modding so that I can actually pop in here during the day and not worry about being fired because of the comment content.  It's not work-friendly.  So I can't really log on and participate once it moves to OT.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaptainfriday. Show kaptainfriday's posts

HI, LILY!!

Sections
Shortcuts