Some Thoughts on The Blog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog

Hey Joco, you must remember the day SSBM got fired for his three-way here on the forums.  Care to tell steddie how graphic that shower scene was?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

Sounds like the third cousin of bullying twice removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I don't really want to get sucked up into this debate on "bullying." The word only means "to treat abusively" in which case almost anything intentionally cruel would be bullying. 

I've had a hard time with the concept because I think it's overdiagnosed so to speak, including with children. I was picked on as a child and didn't really have any friends in elementary and middle school. In high school, I made a couple friends and we had ketchup pelted at us at lunch. My response was to turn my noses up at them, and on one occasion get in the face of one of these "bullies" who I happened to have class with. My parents did an excellent job teaching me to be independent and to have self confidence no matter what anybody else said...I think it's a lesson more kids haven't really learned...

Anyway...I've gotten off on a tangent. My point is, that whether or not it was "bullying", the rooster's behavior crossed the line, and I don't think that it should be looked upon as "entertaining" just because it came in a cutesy package. It wasn't funny, it wasn't necessary, it was just pecking and mean to be pecking and mean, and I don't think pecking and mean for no reason should be casually accepted here. That's just my opinion.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

I want to chime in, but I can't sink up. I can't even log in from my laptop and try there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

McRob, please think of the children.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Hey butterflyz, I didn't think the rooster's behavior was funny or entertaining.  But I didn't find the incident horrifying, either.  Yes, I think it is fair to say the rooster was mean.  But I don't think that means DaveH should be the poster-child-martyr of bullying, either.  Because that wasn't bullying.  I like what sally said - it was heckling.  And I'm pretty sure there's a difference.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

I HAD A FRIEND COMMIT SUICIDE ON ONE OF MY FORUMS! IT IS NOT ALWAYS WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES! ONE OF THE FEW NIGHTS I WAS NOT ON, GAME 1 OF THE 2007 WORLD SERIES, IS WHEN SHE DID IT. I WAS NOT THERE TO HELP AS I HAD BEEN BEFORE. I WILL ALWAYS FEEL SOME GUILT OVER IT EVEN IF REALISTICALLY IT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED EVENTUALLY ANYWAY. SHE WAS A VICTIM OF REAL LIFE AND CYBER BULLYING (OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT)!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

CHC, I'll take your word for it that you defended him and called it "bullying" at the time.  It's just a little difficult for me to believe as it seems like a  pretty conveniently-placed platform for your stance against a certain group of posters that you do not like.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

Hello! Is this thing on?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

Well, I would lean towards agreeing with that McRob, but again the problem is the meaning of the word "bully" is so expansive and vague I can see how CHC can end up on the other side of the divide. But yeah, I'd say it was more mean-spirited heckling than full scale bullying...but that's as much of an arbitrary line as any other. I think rather than debate the semantics it's more useful to acknowledge that mean-spirited heckling whether or not it rises to the level of "bullying" (wherever that may be) is still not something that should be shrugged off just because it's packaged as theoretically "funny" or "entertaining" or said by the "right" poster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I wasn't here for this but I heard about incidents where there was personal information posted - like, where people lived, what their full names were - to me, THAT is bullying with social consequence.

Pecking at someone using rooster noises?  It's juvenile. 

Although, maybe I'm being hypocritical because I know that when I use a See n' Say, I want to punch it right in the face.  Of course I know the cow says "MOOOOOOOOOO".

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

Or maybe JC, after dealing with the crap of real life, the last thing you want to deal with is some anonymous azz on the internet who has nothing better to do than pick at you when you're trying to divert yourself on a blog. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I can't believe I'm going to extend the rooster discussion onto a 3rd page, but HERE GOES

Butterflyz, I see what you're saying about the "cutesy package".  Does that kind of count as irony?  Like, that "Pumped Up Kicks" song -- it's got a nice little melody but it's about kids shooting up a school....?  I digress.  

A cute lil' rooster just minding his own business, he can't possible be bad!  Then he starts pecking at people, and we write it off because it's a rooster and it looks cute?  I think this is what you're saying, right?

If so, no, not in my opinion.  The rooster was written off because it's so absurd that how can you possibly take it seriously?  It's not like someone with a rooster name and avatar barreled in here and said "YOU ARE ALL FAT LOSERS AND YOU WILL NEVER OWN A BLU-RAY PLAYER HAHAHA OH AND DAVEH GETS IT ON WITH PYGMY GOATS.  HERE'S HIS ADDRESS, GO TELL HIM"

Subjective, maybe, but there's got to be some sensibility, and maybe less sensitivity.  Otherwise we're just raising a nation of (another word for 'cats') that the rest of the world will continue to laugh at.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    [QUOTE]Oh my god we have this same conversation every few months.  I'd love to know how it's productive.  It isn't!  We all just like to touch ourselves. 
    Posted by McBostonrob[/QUOTE]

Thanks for telling us what you do to yourself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Just in case you were all wondering I do own a blu-ray, but never use it.  What a waste.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I see your point Porkchop, but is that really all it takes then? If I create some sock puppet and make it "out there" enough, I have free rein to say whatever I please to whoever I please? I rather not see that regularly taking place on the blog, and if were to come to that, I would indeed bounce.

I'm not overly sensitive, and I'm notoriously hard to offend; I prefer to debate to the death than walk away, and I agree there's an oversensitiveness that is prevalent in society generally, but I still think the rooster schtick or whatever it was crossed the line. Being mean for the sake of being mean, no matter how it's presented, is not cool.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Butterflyz, I want to believe what you're saying, but with all due respect you contradict yourself when you say you're "not overly sensitive" and "notoriously hard to offend" while detailing how you were offended by a rooster character on an online blog saying "cockadoodledoo" at someone over and over.

I'll concede and say that perhaps I'm just projecting myself into that situation and I think that if it were me I'd either ignore or engage with something I felt was witty or sarcastic - I wouldn't run away leaving a trail of blog tears and pissypants (Geoff?  are you there?) behind me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I was not personally offended by the rooster, Porkchop, he didn't say anything to me. I found it obnoxious and mean, and something I rather not see on this blog, but I was not offended myself. I'm merely trying to explain in different language why posters like DryHumor and CHC and I'm sure many others also find it objectionable.

Sections
Shortcuts