Some Thoughts on The Blog

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog

And also, I agree, that had it been directed at me, depending on how much free time I had, I'd either engage sarcastically or rationally (depending on the post) or ignore as I have in past. I don't see the need for the dramatic blog exits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

I'm being swayed.  I've been thinking that if i said the things to daveh that the rooster said . . .
    But the way it actually went down, it WAS a sockpuppet.  A nameless, faceless entity created presumably for the purpose of pecking anonymously, never having to answer for it's actions.  In that case, I guess I'd call the rooster a bully. 
    But I would also call daveh a nancyboy for the way he reacted. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

To your other point, no, I don't personally think people have free reign to say whatever they want even as a sockpuppet.  It was said elsewhere that the community here is generally self-policing.  Dozens of times a mean poster has popped up and been banished soundly by the populace - see: hottubguy, vitzy.  Those guys were mean and trollish.

Maybe your threshhold for mean is just lower than mine.  I don't know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

" A nameless, faceless entity created presumably for the purpose of pecking anonymously, never having to answer for it's actions.  In that case, I guess I'd call the rooster a bully.  " 

I mean, this is probably only my opinion but by this definition, you could say this of anyone who signs up here for the purpose of "telling it like it is" and never having to be accountable in the real world for what he/she says.  It's kind of a broad definition.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Perhaps the blog - and all of b.com's content - should be moderated before posts go up, like at the NYT.

There must be some middle ground between the three-way talk and the treacly schmoopyisms.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

Well to quote something my dad said often:

It's been real. It's been fun. But it hasn't been real fun.

:)

J/K I think this has been a good conversation, but it's bed time for me.

Good night everyone!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I can't call Sally, Rob or Kappy "schmoopy"?

This place sucks.

Bye bye butterfree.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    [QUOTE]Perhaps the blog - and all of b.com's content - should be moderated before posts go up, like at the NYT. There must be some middle ground between the three-way talk and the treacly schmoopyisms.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

Yes, and then LL would be as interesting as your confidential chat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DryHumor. Show DryHumor's posts

[QUOTE]I'm being swayed.  I've been thinking that if i said the things to daveh that the rooster said . . . But the way it actually went down, it WAS a sockpuppet.  A nameless, faceless entity created presumably for the purpose of pecking anonymously, never having to answer for it's actions.  In that case, I guess I'd call the rooster a bully.  But I would also call daveh a nancyboy for the way he reacted. 
    Posted by McBostonrob[/QUOTE]
    I was actually done commenting on this until your post Mcrob. First of all there was a person behind the sockpuppet and from my perspective it seemed to be a regular poster to me. The rooster wasn't pecking anonymously at different people. It was directed at one guy.  and whether you liked him or not he shouldn't have had to deal with that. I find your "nancyboy" comment to be inappropriate as none of us have any idea what might have been going on in his life. Are you that insensitive that you can't take a step back and think that maybe the whole rooster thing was enough to push someone over the edge? If so my congratulations on having such a wonderful life.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

davehadoodledoo?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

[QUOTE]"  A nameless, faceless entity created presumably for the purpose of pecking anonymously, never having to answer for it's actions.  In that case, I guess I'd call the rooster a bully.  "  I mean, this is probably only my opinion but by this definition, you could say this of anyone who signs up here for the purpose of "telling it like it is" and never having to be accountable in the real world for what he/she says.  It's kind of a broad definition.  
    Posted by Porkchop-[/QUOTE]

I agree.  And that's who I was, here, for a while.  Then I met some people and my perspective changed.  I don't know that one is better than the other, but I know it's different.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I getcha.

It works a number of different ways, right?  Meeting people could take the bite out of your comments because you have faces and personalities to put with names, or the bite in your comments could lose its value since people know the personality behind the name.... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

[QUOTE]I find your "nancyboy" comment to be inappropriate as none of us have any idea what might have been going on in his life. Are you that insensitive that you can't take a step back and think that maybe the whole rooster thing was enough to push someone over the edge?
    Posted by DryHumor[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not that insensitive; I'm that pragmatic.  If something that happens in a blog is enough to push somebody over the edge, then I have to figure that a bird pooping on him or him getting cut off in traffic would also be enough to push him over the edge.  Which is to say that he was on his way over the edge anyway.
    My speculation is that DaveH didn't go over any edge; he just decided that he'd had enough of the blog.  It may be a mutual loss, but life goes on. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

[QUOTE]Roosters say Cockadoodledoo to me all the time.  I'm not offended by it.
    Posted by JohnCocktosten[/QUOTE]

Well this thread has me thinking -- next year at Topsfield Fair I'm gonna go to that barn and give them roosters a piece of my mind, goshdarnit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DryHumor. Show DryHumor's posts

Well on that parting note my online poker game just finished so I am also off to sleep. Goodnight everyone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

When a bird p00ps on you, it's good luck, isn't it?  Sounds like crappy luck to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

Test from 3G sans Wi-Fi!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

Finally! Of course you are all gone now!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

Didn't see the rooster. Just thought it was an Alice In Chains reference. I do not believe it is cool to make a fake profile to attack someone. Although I was flattered by my personal troll during the Stanley Cup playoffs. I posted a little over an hour ago Time Warp Time that there can be very real consequences. I had a friend commit suicide and those of us who weren't there to help prevent it now live with the burden of her death. We also had to talk to her twin sister, who got into her account to see what had gone on. The family was devastated.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Trigger, remember that point where you start to get ranty?  You're getting close to it.

Not trying to be rude to you;  your points are as valid as anyone's, but since you asked just the other day.... well, there it is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

I know, that is why I kept it brief in details about real life stuff. Just examples without getting into specifics. It's hard to get a point across witbout the examples. I think this perspective is valid, even if a bit doomsday sounding in relation to here. Some times people don't realize all the sides and this is a legitimate side to cyber bullying. I wouldn't call it ranty though. Hell, look at some of the other posts tonight.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I'm not trying to stifle you - you mentioned a few days ago that when you start to get ranty and delve too deeply into the "oversharing" department that you wish someone would let you know.  I was trying to do that there, hell maybe we could even consider it an olive branch of sorts.

I'm not saying you're oversharing up there, but it's close, or at least heading in that direction.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

On another note, it is a bit flippant to say that someone already on the edge removes any responsibility you might have in pushing them over it. Sure, they might get their by some other means, but some people, myself included, use an online community like this to engage in somewhat meaningful social interaction. Coming into a place and having people pick on you is not fun. I know! I have witnessed here and elsewhere people immediately pick on others without provocation and sometimes behind the cloak of a fake identity. And don't lecture me on all these profiles being fake. There are real people behind them, so to make another profile for the sole purpose of attacking others is cowardly. How do any of us know specifics about another's situation? I may or may not be suffering from depression. My doctor thinks so, but it is mild if so and it's not like there is a blood test. Since I was a kid I have contemplated suicide. It runs in the family in fact. But I have always been a logical thinker. Combine that with not believing in an afterlife and I can rationalize it is pointless as I'd rather suffer through pain, mental, emotional, and physical, rather than not exist. But someone else in a similar place may not be able to do this. Maybe seeking some attention or advice or simple social interaction helps keep them from passing that point of no return. Between the aforementioned girl, a couple of relatives, and a good college friend I have experienced it firsthand 4 times. The two younger ones were related to bullying, the college friend more so from his father whom he could never satisfy. I am not saying everyone should just be nice and lose their personas, but it just bugs me when people act like they have no responsibility for their actions, including words. Think before you act and think before you post. Know your audience too. If you don't, maybe you shouldn't be as careless with you words.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Whoa, post hopscotch.

Sections
Shortcuts