Some Thoughts on The Blog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog

Maybe some of the "piling on" in MPs case was misinterpreted.  I was genuinely giving him advice, as were others.  I saw most of that get lumped in with some of the not so helpful stuff that was said in his direction.

But, if you're gonna proclaim yourself as the Fastest Gun in Town, you'd better be prepared for some lead flying your way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

>>> Yes. This is exactly what I attempted to do yesterday afternoon. I don't see a thing wrong with saying "watch it pal" here or IRL.

============================

Nothing wrong with it at all, and it was "effective" in that it forced me to declare my statement an "absurdity" rather than leave it out there for people to wonder whether or not McRob seriously said something blatantly racist. I think it would have been more obvious that I was just being a goof if you knew my latest nom de plume, but I also assume that you may have still pressed the "too far" switch based on the subject matter alone, which is understandable.

I thought it was very decent of you to handle it in the way that you did, somebody else probably hit the abuse button.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

We've all taken our turn as the Blog Heel for a day, it doesn't always feel good.

Remember the day I hated cops?  Yeesh.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Amusingly Eddy, I hit the abuse button on your post maintaining that the 'Rob item' was true, not your original post.  I was willing to leave your first post as funny, and ignore the line I didn't like.  But when you posted that it was true, it hit my 'joke too far' line, and I reported.

And they didn't remove it!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

First mp, next I'm gonna run andy_rooney off the blog.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

DG wrote: "I am actually surprised that people weren't on him MORE, since he was basically like; 'I figure all my girlfriends are cheating on me, so I cheat on them.'  I thought he was going to get disembowelled."

And that last point is one of those weird and curious things about this blog. A LW who wrote in with that story IS dimebowelled. Estephre was, at least until she revealed herself. But get a few regulars who'll pet you and back you up no matter what, and you're golden. From my POV,  I never saw the attack on MP as widespread, just a few very vocal people rather than a large number of commenters. Just my thoughts on the matter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    [QUOTE]We've all taken our turn as the Blog Heel for a day, it doesn't always feel good. Remember the day I hated cops?  Yeesh.
    Posted by Schlippo[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I was so upset I had to leave the blog for like a day and a half because my perspective was getting poisoned, and then poor Frank popped up and revived the topic just when it died down, and then I just started laughing my azz off, because at that point, oh my god, it was just getting absurd.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Yep, I harangued MP. He kept calling me dude and while I found his tall tales of conquests amusing, it was getting old. And, when he was being henpecked, I came in actually to his defence, well sort of kind of. But if you want to tease me or mock me, then expect it back. And if you cant handle it, then dont give it.

Simple as that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

Worst thing anyone ever said to me on a blog: some guy told me that he hoped that my kids would get abducted, raped and killed. It was a political board, and he didn't like my views on George W. Bush or something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I don't expect it and that's why I don't engage at all, for the most part, with those I find obnoxious. I'm just pointing what I've noticed and what I know bothers others.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ygren. Show ygren's posts

I am actually surprised that people weren't on him MORE, since he was basically like; 'I figure all my girlfriends are cheating on me, so I cheat on them.'  I thought he was going to get disembowelled.
    ---

This particular comment, followed by his statement no more than 20 hours later "The love of my life told me to get lost. Forever. I'm crushed." confused the heck out of me.

Didn't want to disembowel him, but did want to ask if he has shared this philosophy with her and maybe this might be causal? Then thought maybe that would be kicking him when he was down. Just said "I'm sorry"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Butterflyz, I see what you're saying, and I thought about that too - to me, the difference is that MP didn't write to us asking for advice, he was relaying stories.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

As for the Estephre thing, I didn't take much part in that other than to mock the whole situation.  It was really weird, and being a goofball is how I chose to deal with it.  Add to the fact that I didn't know her before or afterwards, I won't be lumped in with that whole mess.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    [QUOTE] From my POV,  I never saw the attack on MP as widespread, just a few very vocal people rather than a large number of commenters. Just my thoughts on the matter.
    Posted by Butterflyz[/QUOTE]

Honestly, this is how I see most of the things people get upset about.  Any given issue, there are usually 5 or 6 people who get all bent out of shape, another 30 or so who offer reasonably constructive advice, some satirists, and then it becomes posters arguing with posters about various wild speculations.

I think for pretty serious stuff, like the girl whose boyfriend had a racist family, or the cancer survivor who wasn't sure how to start being intimate again, we stay pretty seriously on topic.  But for stuff like who is sleeping with whom, is gets pretty silly.

Yeah, the estephre debacle was one of the best examples I have seen of people being cruel as long as there is anonymity.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

Consistency?  As with all things human, my advice is sometimes colored by my mood, how much sleep I've had or whether or not the experience described strikes a particularly sour (read:familiar) chord with me.  I'm not going to go back and read my past advice to make sure I'm consistent.  You don't give the same advice to the same people in the same situation in real life, either.  There are variables.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I don't think MP ever asked for advice, but at least initially estephre didn't either, not until she showed up in the chat which was later.

People are just weird.

And Lily, this why we need to use more emoticons :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

>>> Yeah, the estephre debacle was one of the best examples I have seen of people being cruel as long as there is anonymity.

=======================

"estephre" stormed onto the blog and made a whole bunch of troll-ish accusations and angry statements. My response was what it always is when that happens: I swung a bat around and kept swinging until I felt exhausted.  Later, she introduced the whole thing about her relationship issues, and I didn't understand why someone who had been trashing the blog and its commenters just a few days before felt that she merited thoughtful consideration of her concerns.  And after "The Big Reveal," I went at her again and told her the whole anonymous/"who am I" thing was a load of b.s.  I'd probably do the same thing again.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

I think, Tricky actually did ask for advice. It was kind of after hours later in the day when not too many of us were still around.

I still stand by my comments even after she outed herself.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

Yeah, estephre didn't ask for help, get stomped and then reveal.  She came in swinging.  Something had happened in chat.

I wish they would just nuke chat and focus on making the blog work better.