Some Thoughts on The Blog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog

>>> I wish you could read the text of the hour-long 3-way that went on in here the day SSBM was fired, then hear your opinion. 

Oh, I didn't say that unlimited latitude should be provided. Hell, the discussion of a crime on a cruise a few months back should have been completely redacted from the internets.

I have no idea who SSBM was. I'm quite sure I would have cringed, as I always do, when posters start getting into any discussion hinting at sex between themselves.

But my guideline for removal is not "spare the children," it's "consistently protect the brand."

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DryHumor. Show DryHumor's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : Seriously?  'daveh adoodledoo' is insulting?   Look, I see where you're coming from here, nobody likes to feel insulted and honestly I'm not going to choose this hill to die upon, but assaulting someone if they come up to you and say "dryhumor adoodledooooo!" might be considered an overreaction.  Like Andy punching the wall because someone hid his cellphone (right McRob?)
    Posted by Porkchop-

If that was all someone said to me Porkchop I would agree with you. But if someone kept it up and then started making comments about having sex with me or doing things to me that were perverse in nature (and yes those things were said) Yeah dinner party or not I'd have clocked the person and I think you or rob or andy would have too. Not that I know who Andy is. Oh and for the record I have a pretty thick skin so it would take a lot to make me clock someone. I agree with CHC that the rooster thing went way beyond what would be socially acceptable.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

That's the point.  The horse is already out of the barn.  You can't unring that bell.  People DO meet in real life.  I have to assume that online attacks have social consequences and act accordingly.

In 10+ years of online community participation I have never met a soul, not one. So, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If you don't want to meet anyone, you won't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : No one can keep up with the power posters.  It's comical that they assume that others read the whole blog. As for the 'cyber bullying is not real bullying' - it comes down to a core difference in beliefs.   Robbing a bank isn't as bad as killing someone.  Does that make it right to rob a bank?
    Posted by Corporate-Hippie-Chick

I never said cyber bullying is not real.  It is real, and I believe that it is.  Please, don't put words in my mouth to serve your angle.

What I'm saying is there's a difference between bullying and what happened with daveh.  Daveh didn't like that some sockpuppet (allegedly, but that's speculation until someone owns up to it) was pecking at him.  He was extremely sensitive and, frankly, an attention ho.  He begged for attention, and he got it, unfortunately it was negative attention.  It's not as if he wasn't liked, the people here actually advised him on a pretty sensitive situation, and he took the advice for what it was, even the criticism.

So my question still stands.  If you saw this bullying happening, why not stand up for him?  Why not step in and say "enough"?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al Bundy. Show Al Bundy's posts

Am I on the same Timeline?

Nope!

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Not much Sandwich. Work. Animals. Sleep. You?
    Posted by Sally-

Oh you know, same old same old -- kids, animals, time travel......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I don't know where I stand on this because I don't really get the rationale either way.

What social consequences do you think they would have?

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Porkadoodledoo!
    Posted by Sally-

Mod?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

Where it's at! Two turntables and a microphone!!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

You say:  I am anonymous.  Therefore my comments should not have social consequence.

I'm pretty sure that Sally- covered this earlier. As an anonymous user, I have no actual power over anyone in real life. Nobody wakes up in the morning and has to see me at school, on the train, or at a PTO meeting. Or at some random bar somewhere.

Any "bullying" that can be accomplished by such a person is limited to the scope of the ones and zeros of some relationship blog. Sounds pretty harmless to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Ed:  Maybe CHC is saying that if you (hypothetically) insulted someone repeatedly here, and then that person met others IRL, that treatment on the blog will lap over into their real life even if you personally don't meet them.

I'm not taking a side here, I'm just trying to understand the different arguments.  (And I missed the whole rooster thing anyway, as I don't often read the whole LL blog "cover-to-cover" anymore.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

He was extremely sensitive and, frankly, an attention ho.  He begged for attention, and he got it, unfortunately it was negative attention.  ========================= Hey!  I just used this argument against you about the MP debacle.
    Posted by JohnCocktosten

Yes, and you saved me about 32.7 seconds of writing.

Seriously though, yes and no.  MP didn't top off every other page with "HEY GUYS IS ANYONE GONNA TALK TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!"  He told stories, which some found annoying, and they let him know about it.  Some peopel stuck up for him, but the majority would roundly thrash him, and the best part is that he didn't give a crap.  He just said "haha, ok whatever" and moved on.  Say whatever you want about the stories he told - honestly I was indifferent about them.  To me they were no less annoying than hearing stories about what's for dinner, or the upcoming weather forecast and what kind of shoes you are going to wear tomorrow.

I don't want to talk too badly about daveh when he's not here, I think I've said plenty already about him.  Daveh wasn't a bad guy.  I liked him, and even interacted with him a few times.  But it's impossible to reason with someone who is so sensitive that they blow up at whatever perceived slight there is at the moment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Cockadoodledeedoo to you, joco.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts