Some Thoughts on The Blog

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog

And to add along the lines of Zeptz.....

Just because YOU think a comment is mean or excessively snarky, doesnt mean everyone does. Your opinion soley belongs to you. Just like my opinion belongs soley to me. Whatever I post, most of the time, is in character. You guys made me out to be a b.itch, and  that is exactly how I will post. I am just acting in the character you all created.  because if you actually knew me, then you would know that I am probably more the opposite. But this is the internet. its not real to everyone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Schlippo's right.  My wife reads "The Nest" forums.  The posters here are fluffy white dwarf rabbits compared to those savages.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    [QUOTE]if you want this blog to be someplace that most people can enjoy you have to take responsibility for policing your own watch so to speak.
    Posted by DryHumor[/QUOTE]

Oh, we do.  This must be your first time on the Internet.  Check out the political blog sometime.  Check out some of the online gaming forums.  Check out the stories where BDC has to delete the option to post comments.  The Youtube videos where the owner has to delete the option to add comments.  The web forums that have to remain invite only because of the horrific things people say.  The sports blogs.  Barstool Sports.  Hell, CNN.  Why are forum rules netwide always started with; 'Flaming, Attacks On Other Users, Racist/Intolerant/Hateful language will not be tolerated,' etc.?

This blog is insanely polite, in comparision. 

You know what?  The cool kids ARE self-policing.  And they are not perfect.  Which means every now and again, the wrong person gets pepper sprayed.  If people don't like the cool kids' policing methods, and report everything to the mods, we will go over to the mods policing us.  Which will kill the blog.

Do you have ANY idea how relatively harmless an internet forum has to be to have the mods voluntarily restore the word 'suck' to the populace? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

There's only a certain level to which you can ratchet down the nature of the Webz and Tubes, and I think this place is as "sane" as it possibly gets.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Its funny you say that Dry Humor, because there is a certain poster that is constantly belligerent to me despite my ignoring that person and despite that persons promise to ignore me. And what do people do? Coddle that person and chastise me. Does that even make an ounce of sense? Nope, but quite frankly I dont care. Ignoring is bliss.

I think if people just learned to mind their own business and stop worrying about what someone said to so and so, stop getting so god damned defensive and making assumptions about peoples posts, we can go back to the fun place this was.

BTW- there are no cool people here. We are all dorks that instead of working, post random nonsensical bolonga on a blog. Cool is the FARTHEST thing we are.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

I mean, what gets poofed here?  Dogp00pie.  What was I dealing with when I was a mod/admin?  15 year old dbags with inflated senses of self and way too many cans of Mt. Dew in their system calling each others' mothers and sisters all kinds of truly sick isht, saying anything and everything to shock and outrage.

They made Steddie's act seem like Henny Youngman.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hollygolitely-. Show hollygolitely-'s posts

McRob wrote:  NICE TO KNOW I'M OF ZERO SIGNIFICANCE TO YOU. E F F OFF, MCBICHY!

-----------------------
    and yet, another instance where a list should never be made.

am i in the past/future here too?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

Twinster has shown her Dark Side lately. She scares me!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffmc4. Show geoffmc4's posts

[QUOTE]Heck, DryHumor, just become a fan of politicians on Facebook.  It blows my mind that someone who hates a politican will become a fan on Facebook and spend all day posting stuff to insult that person.  This place is really quite polite and well policed.  This ridiculous attempt to make the blog "nicer" is childish.  I know, I used to try to quell the sexual talk.  People are free to walk away or take a break any time.
    Posted by Lily-[/QUOTE]

This is so very true. Sports blogs are the same way. For the most part, I have found it all to be in good fun, although at times there does seem to be an undercurrent of real dislike between people that I don't understand, and that may come from being relatively new.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : Oh, we do.  This must be your first time on the Internet.  Check out the political blog sometime.  Check out some of the online gaming forums.  Check out the stories where BDC has to delete the option to post comments.... Hell, CNN.
    Posted by diamondgirl[/QUOTE]

OMG, I have.  And, even though I know better, I still have stupid moments and read the comments on regular BDC stories.  And I regret it.  Rampant gross racism, classism, sexism, and homophobia that make LL look like a UN utopia.  And the level of discussion more often than not is so devoid of any well-reasoned thought that it is mind-boggling.  Unless, like me, you have a pessimistic view of the General Public.  (I used to work in retail.)  Occasionally there is a glimmer of hope for the Republic when an intelligent debate breaks out, or other posters tell the bigot of the day to stuff it, but usually that is not the case.

For example, one time I made a crack about generic mac & cheese.  Redwolf on someone else rightly told me I was being classist.  I apologized.  And, to their credit, they were not hysterical about calling me out on it.  But, had I made the crack anywhere else on BDC I would have been "backed up" by people making really awful remarks about welfare queens and the lazy poor, and anyone who spoke up against that would be labelled a crybaby liberal.  And the liberals aren't too great, either, with their knee jerk hate any Republican/Corporation attitudes.

Seriously.  LL really is a sandbox compared to rest of the site and internet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Oh, Lilly-Lo, half the reason I refuse to game with your little dollie is that the stuff my gaming buddies say ingame is NOT the kind of stuff I want to see at 36,  never mind wanting him online in a full MMORPG with gamers.  It would be like watching (stupid word filter) - an 'extremely not safe for work' video with your toddler.  NOT RECOMMENDED. 

I actually hide the fact that I am female on most of the gaming forums.  It lets you in for all sorts of degrading crap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

I once had generic beer.

But on topic here. I have not seen or heard anything on this blog that would come up to bullying or even near it for that matter. If there is a discussion that I do not wish to participate in then I simply leave alone. I will be double dog damned if I would ever take offense at anything that was said on here. I do not like it when people get overly abusive and I may say something about that but I have not seen that from any of the people who post daily or even weekly. I have had a recent problem with the mods and what they deem poofable. It seems very arbitrary and that could become a problem but if I have a problem then I am not so shy that I will not speak with them directly. 

The time stamp thing will keep me from posting as it is impossible to have anything resembling a discussion with comments all over the damn place. That is the real problem right now.

I have no issue in any way with anyone who posts on here. I take nothing personally. Hell for all you all know I could be anybody or nobody. I have a learned a great deal from reading the comments on here. Many times someone presents a point of view that I had not considered. The opportunity to learn something of significance about relationships is rare and much appreciated when it occurs.

The people on here seem to be well above average in intelligence and they have diverse intellects. When it works it is a good place to be. And it works most all of the time. Now if just get the damn timestamp thing fixed...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

[QUOTE]I respect the things that you say, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I think m y points come across just fine for those who want to hear them.  Flaming is really subjective, especially if you don't know your audience.  Anyone who gets into it with me knows that I will probably have something sarcastic to say, because that's just what to expect from me. I don't run the risk of alienating anyone or worry about upsetting anyone.  Like McRob said, you'll be okay if you just take everything with a grain of salt and not so seriously (paraphrase, sorry Robbo).
    Posted by Porkchop-[/QUOTE]

I get that, BUT not everyone knows what to expect from you. New people or non-regulars who chime on occasion, might not get that. I am VERY sarcastic myself. I keep tricking Sally, in fact (I think, unless she is tricking my trick). I believe that we all have a bit of a responsibility, however difficult and unrealistic, to know our audience. My concern has more to do with actual advice to LWs and the occasional advice to a LLer who has asked for it. Some people open themselves up and are vulnerable and being able to recognize that and adapt is a good quality, but most people lack it.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : Now, who wants to defend me and receive the Wrath of mcrob?
    Posted by diamondgirl[/QUOTE]

I'm game

DG is a woman with the intellect of a Bill Gates and the soul of a poet, both skilled and skillful. Not to mention as cute a bunny. A heavily armed bunny but a bunny nonetheless. Besides if you want a real walking talking ever-lovin' beyotch I can introduce McRob to my 2nd wife.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I'm not particularly a fan of the argument that just because most of the rest of the internet is worse that that excuses all manner of sins here. I get the point that people need perspective, but it's not an excuse (not saying that any of you are saying that it is). Most of us have the ability to go off on someone here on occasion, I've certainly had to bite my tongue, so to speak, on more than one occasion, and when it's rare or limited, I think it's perfectly reasonable to forgive and forget, and move on.

However, I think it is perfectly fair to say that there are a couple, not many, but a couple of posters here who are regularly and widely obnoxiously cruel, and not merely annoying and who, despite some vocal detractors, get coddled and petted by a larger group. I don't think there's any point in trying to run these people off the blog, but I'd rather see such posters be completely ignored both positively and negatively. That's my pet peeve about this place.

But it's not enough to stop me from reading. Like Schillipo, I lurked here daily for two years before I posted a single comment, and assuming this time stamp nonsense gets fixed, I will continue to read and post as long as I continue to enjoy it more often than I get annoyed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Trigger:  I think some of your posts are somewhat referring to me, and I know you (and others) think I've been hard on you.  I probably have been, but I can't say I apologize for it because I think that whatever advice or guidance I've given you was somewhat useful to you, by your own admission even.

It's also the same way I'd give advice if it were in person. 

Jokes and sarcasm are hard to decipher online, yeah.  That's been beaten to death over and over again.  But those things are just part of who I am and what I do.  People are always free to ignore me, and that includes you if you don't find anything I say to be useful, or if you feel I'm picking on you.

To be fair though, I pick on everyone and they pick on me back -- and that does go for you too.  For the record, I don't consider you a detractor here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

[QUOTE]My lack of respect for them has seeped into my comments and I think at times I have been consdecending. [/QUOTE]

CHC, this is when I snap at you on the blog.  I say this in all seriousness.  When your posts start coming off like you are making condescending jokes at the expense of people on the blog, in a way that suggests we don't 'see what you did there,' it's pretty insulting.  I feel it is necessary as a self-policing blog cop to verbally pop you in the nose.  I'll admit to that.  Those are my citizens you are smugging at! 

Normally I let you post in peace about whatever, like I do with everyone else.  Like Lil said - it's none of our place to tell people what to do.  But I just can't let you get away with that!  Come on!  People call me out when I go on a tear, why wouldn't I call you out?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

The solution is to get rid of the miscreants, like diamondgirl and McBostonrob.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

[QUOTE]McRob wrote:  NICE TO KNOW I'M OF ZERO SIGNIFICANCE TO YOU. E F F OFF, MCBICHY! ----------------------- and yet, another instance where a list should never be made. am i in the past/future here too?
    Posted by hollygolitely-[/QUOTE]

Cheerily in the present

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

Bullied may be overacting, but sometimes there is a lot of ganging up on certain members.