Some Thoughts on The Blog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog

(shun)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Thank you Chuppz. I have been saying that for years now. Yes, I have been told I have been here for years, even though the blog is only 2 years old. We arent cliques, we arent cool kidz. We are all dorks who have nothing better to do with our free time. We could all really take a lesson from Jim2E.

Sometimes, its time to make the fries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCorvin. Show MrCorvin's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : I have to call you out on this.  There is NO WAY this can possibly be true.
    Posted by Lily-[/QUOTE]

Lily, I wouldn't have thought otherwise until I had them last night. I almost ate the whole package on my own.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]DG, I agree, that by and large, reporting comments is not a solution. The only solution I see is more objective self-policing by the regulars combined along with heightened self accountability for transgressions. That means that bad behavior is consistently called out, not through more abuse, but rationally and reasonably, vocally when necessary and appropropirate, and that those who continuously engage in bad behavior whether they are a new troll or a long time regular are ignored by all. This is probably not realistic, but it is the solution I would employ
    Posted by Butterflyz[/QUOTE]

The question is, where is that line?  Are we calling people out, or are we ignoring them?   I've sometimes felt a bit guilty not calling a poster out, but every response tends to magnify whatever the original slight was.  So almost always it seems that whatever good I've thought I was doing by jumping in is negated by keeping the topic going.  It ends up fueling the fire, instead of dousing it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

Hey, don't shun me.  It was Plato's idea.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I think Meredith told us to be nice to the LW because so frequently we have posters who call the LWs a "loser", the more tame among the names; tells the LWs to "grow up" or "grow a pair", and even some where people have suggested the LW basically kill themselves, in not so many words.  Essentially, comments that don't address the LW's situation, but the LW themselves.  That's not helpful at all.

I don't see where Meredith was really referring to poster-on-poster snark.  It's not relevant to the LW really.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DryHumor. Show DryHumor's posts

[QUOTE]Heck, DryHumor, just become a fan of politicians on Facebook.  It blows my mind that someone who hates a politican will become a fan on Facebook and spend all day posting stuff to insult that person.  This place is really quite polite and well policed.  This ridiculous attempt to make the blog "nicer" is childish.  I know, I used to try to quell the sexual talk.  People are free to walk away or take a break any time.
    Posted by Lily-[/QUOTE]

Well first I would have to actually join facebook which i have NO intention of doing anytime soon. My political views are fairly liberal which should come as no surprise having lived in Mass all my life. If however, I could actually find a candidate to get excited about then I might indulge in a political forum

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

Porkchop, I meant about the overall blog tone, which refers to both the comments to the LW and those to each other.

I don't think my solution is perfect, it has obvious limitations, but DG said we spend too much time talking about the problem and not the solution, so I've offered a solution. I'm open to others as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

[QUOTE]Butterfly, that's the problem, isn't it?  How can any of us be more objective?  How would we know? There are regular posters whose job it seems to be to point out when people are being inconsistent.  Like when we were telling a LW to be young and date and enjoy herself, 24 hours after splashing all over the blog that MP was a selfish manwh0re because of all of his dating around.  A few people did point this out.  Lily tries to always see the 'losing' side's point, just to keep the blog seesaw from falling down on one end with a thud.  Eddy and Porkchop make sarcastic comparisions with other letters to point out inconsistencies in our advice.  Jock and Sally mock the importance we assign to issues, in an attempt to make the discourse more interesting and to lighten the Mood Of Doom.  Everyone has their little schtick.  And when it works, it really works.  And when it doesn't, I personally think everyone has a duty to get the hell out of Dodge til everything simmers down.  No joke, we should all listen to our own safeword.
    Posted by diamondgirl[/QUOTE]

NICE TO KNOW I'M OF ZERO SIGNIFICANCE TO YOU.  E F F OFF, MCBICHY!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : VOTE FOR TWINNY!
    Posted by Lily-[/QUOTE]

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!  The absolute power will, over time, corrupt even her!!!  And then she will cease to be thw Twinny as we know her.

Even Frodo was irreversibly affected by The Ring.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]...but I have seen a number of regulars on here say that the tone has gotten more hostile. Meredith has to remind us to "be nice" more often
    Posted by Butterflyz[/QUOTE]

I think some of that has to do with a growing intolerance of LWs getting into trouble.  People have been reading the same set of problems for two years and now they're cranky about it.  And I can see why, and I have a new admiration and respect for Dear Abby and Ann Landers.

Another aspect is that offline relationships have formed and blown up, and the collateral damage is fall out on the blog.  And trying to objectively criticize that will only add fuel to the fire, IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Yes, you could get your same points across without flaming a person, as could others. If that isn’t your style, so be it. But by maintaining that mantra you will alienate yourself from others and that point you are trying to make will get lost, even when it is a very valid point. If you don’t care, again, so be it. Just don’t be surpised when you upset people (not me) for it.

-----------------------------------------
    I respect the things that you say, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I think my points come across just fine for those who want to hear them.  Flaming is really subjective, especially if you don't know your audience.  Anyone who gets into it with me knows that I will probably have something sarcastic to say, because that's just what to expect from me.

I don't run the risk of alienating anyone or worry about upsetting anyone.  Like McRob said, you'll be okay if you just take everything with a grain of salt and not so seriously (paraphrase, sorry Robbo).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

[QUOTE]I have seen a number of regulars on here say that the tone has gotten more hostile. Posted by Butterflyz[/QUOTE]

Yep.  And at some point, the pressure will be too much, and some random number of people who really should have gotten bored and left a long time ago will drift away, and the attitude will correct.  This, of course, will not stop people from getting upset in the meantime.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : NICE TO KNOW I'M OF ZERO SIGNIFICANCE TO YOU.  E F F OFF, MCBICHY!
    Posted by McBostonrob[/QUOTE]

I don't associate with anyone who pinches their chickpeas.  That's for poor people.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Maligned!
    REPORT ABUSE!  REPORT ABUUUUUSE!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DryHumor. Show DryHumor's posts

so your solution is for someone to leave the blog if they are being attacked or bullied as you put it. That is like telling the teenager in HS to not go to school if he/she doesn't want to be picked on. The bad guys/girls win right?????
    I haven't been posting long enough to be bullied yet but I have seen it and I don't  believe the solution is to tell the person being attacked to leave and never come back. What does that solve?
    [QUOTE]"I think more often than not, you know bad behavior when you see it and the people who post inflammatory and abusive stuff know exactly what they're doing." ============ Again, your bad behavior or DG's bad behavior or my bad behavior are all different. I've yet to see a post here I felt merited reporting. But I recognize not everyone agrees with that which is fine. It just circles back to this: If you're witnessing bad behavior on a blog, leave the blog until the behavior you don't like stops. People who feel they're being "bullied" also have the option to leave. No one is receiving a beat down by a gang here.
    Posted by Zeptember[/QUOTE]

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : NICE TO KNOW I'M OF ZERO SIGNIFICANCE TO YOU.  E F F OFF, MCBICHY!
    Posted by McBostonrob[/QUOTE]

Now, who wants to defend me and receive the Wrath of mcrob?

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts