The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread : AJ, I'm sure part of the weight gain is from family issues in your life, too. I'm not letting you off the hook, but it's ok to cut yourself a little slack. Friday's gimlet my trwat :)
    Posted by -Cariokie[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cari.  I think I cut myself a little TOO much slack last year... I was eating WAY too many comfort foods and drinking WAY too much.  Sure, it helped me get through some really tough times with what happened to my mom, but I felt like isht.  

I'm finally getting back on track.  Its weird that a page turn of the calendar can motivate people so much, but whatever works, right??  So, with the new year I've set goals for myself:

• eat better
    • drink less
    • exercise at least 3x a week

So, I've started up the South Beach Diet again, which has worked really well for me in the past.  Its basically a low-carb diet, but it focuses on lean protein and lots of veggies. 

Also, I just joined a gym today that has exercise classes like Zumba, yoga and pilates to keep me from getting bored.  I lose motivation if I'm just going on the elliptical all the time.  Also, I have yoga/pilates/zumba at home if I don't feel like going to the gym, I can't use that as an excuse to not get exercise, even if its just 20 minutes.  

I've also started taking a pro-biotic and fish oil daily, and I drink lots of green tea and water.   NO DIET SODA.  

One week in, and I've already lost 3.5 lbs!  Woot!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Oh, and I joined Gold's Gym off of McGrath Highway in Cambridge... $25/month and that includes classes.  Its a pretty no-frills place, but I don't need all that fancy crap.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from s0xgirl. Show s0xgirl's posts

NatGin, thanks for the offer but I'm already a member of HW in Coolidge Corner! I love it too, my membership is a little cheaper because I'm a student (by night ;)

I was asking because it couldn't hurt to have a pal! But I'm glad you're in agreeance... I joined about a year ago but have not used it as much as I should, it was a crazy year. But the money is worth it for the classes, IMO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from s0xgirl. Show s0xgirl's posts

CHC - does bodyscapes offer a good selection of classes (if any?)

I-P - will very pathetically uncoordinated people (like me) have trouble with body pump? I've heard good things about it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

In reviewing page one of this thread, I discovered that I am really bad at math and have actually GAINED FOUR POUNDS since June.  Bad, bad Neener

So...YEARLY RESET OF GOAL!!

Goal: -50 from starting date
    Starting date: 01/09/2010
    Goal date: really just want to be healthy
    Pounds lost since last check-in: 0
    Total lost: 0
    Left to go: 50
    Total lost since August 2007: 58

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harbormistress. Show Harbormistress's posts

JTB with a -.2 and Harbormistress (are you still here?) with a -2 at her last check in are our other awesome Losers this time around.

yup, still here, just a bit distracted by my life.  i maintained through the holidays and my mum's passing, which of course generated a TON of bad food passing through my front door from well meaning friends and neighbors, and im a terrible emotional eater...i eat when im sad, lose when im happy.  now that im not taking care of mum, i'll theoretically have time to exercise in some way despite the colder weather, and she'd be happy if i lost my last 6 lbs as she battled diabetes her whole adult life.  plus, two friends who came to mum's services invited me to St. John and Miami Beach respectively, so i really need to step it up a notch.  but am i the only one on here of my advancing age who finds that the downside of weight loss is the hanging skin???? i always prided myself on my long and shapely legs even when i was heavier but now i have this APPALLINGLY sagging chicken skin in my upper thighs and upper arms.  my previously smooth facial skin is also evidencing wrinkles i never had before due to the weight loss.  ugh! if its not one thing, its another!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inter-Planet. Show Inter-Planet's posts

s0xgirl - you will be fine :) 

The moves are simple and the few that require proper technique will be demo-ed by the instructor at the beginning of the song/track. 

This is the most complicated move there is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDzH85YfJzg

The instructor will also suggest a good starting weight for you for each track until you find your own "normal weight factor".  After you are comfortable with the moves and weight factor, challenge yourself by picking a track or two to go up in weight until you increase your normal weight factors for each track (and keep doing this as you progress).  You build the most muscle if by the last set in a track you are struggling to finish. 

I have seen some major body transformations (myself included) over the years I have been taking this class. 

They mix up the songs/tracks regularly so it never gets boring and if there is a song you don't like it doesn't last long.

Let me know how you like it!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

My friend teaches an Alchemy in Movement class in Newton Center...PM me for details if you are interested :)

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

Current Weight: 158.8
    Last Weigh In:  160.2
    Goal: 148
    Goal Date: 3/18 (ie be 20lbs lighter in this year's bday pics!)
    Lost since March 2011: -9.2
    Progess this week: -1.4

I think my body was in shock going from lethergy and drinking to exercise and veggies. Luckily, it looks like in the last day or two it finally let go of all the carp it was holding on to. *mini dance in celebration to ME!*

Also, I changed my goal to be more short term. Long term, yes, I'd like to get back into the 130s. But I think a 10lb goal while I'm on this reenergized kick of motivation would be perfect. Plus, I should be able to fit back into my 'skinny' jeans at that weight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luna_llena. Show luna_llena's posts

Goal - 30 lbs
    Start date - 2/22/11
    Goal Date - 6/1/2012
    Pounds lost this week -.4
    Left to go - 23.2 
    Total lost since 2/22/11 - 6.8 lbs

Everybody sounds so motivated, I hope it rubs off!  I did join a boot camp class.  It's only twice a week, but it's a start.  Every muscle is screaming in pain right now, so I guess it's working.

Stepping off the treadmill of shame, for a week at least!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

Good job, CHC.

Reminder: anyone embarking on a weight training program should keep an eye on the positive changes and not on the scale, because you are ramping up and adding muscle, which weighs more than fat. 

That's how one gets a Banana o' Determination :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

UPDATE:
    Goal - 50 lbs
    start date: 6/30/11
    Goal date: 6/30/12
    loss this week: -.6
    loss to-date: 14.8
    to go: 35.2

This whole going to the gym thing seems to be workin - more telling is that I took the pair of jeans off the top of the 'one day I'll fit into these' pile (arranged by size!) and they fit!

Keep working it lovelies - and have a good weekend

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGal109. Show BostonGal109's posts

Two comments:

1. I LOVED Bodyscapes. It was amazing. I only left because I moved. Now I go to Healthworks. I also love Healthworks but it's more busy than Bodyscapes.

2. I'm ADDICTED to this "Myfitnesspal" app. Does anyone else use this? It's become a life saved. You put in what you ate that day (and it actually has a ton of things saved so you have a pretty accurate read and don't have to enter in everything), your weight, your goal, how quickly you want to lose it, how much you exercised that day, etc. You can also add friends on there to update and motivate each other.  It's actually kind of fun.  Anyway, just thought I'd share my recent awesome discovery.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inter-Planet. Show Inter-Planet's posts

[QUOTE]Two comments: 1. I LOVED Bodyscapes. It was amazing. I only left because I moved. Now I go to Healthworks. I also love Healthworks but it's more busy than Bodyscapes. 2. I'm ADDICTED to this "Myfitnesspal" app. Does anyone else use this? It's become a life saved. You put in what you ate that day (and it actually has a ton of things saved so you have a pretty accurate read and don't have to enter in everything), your weight, your goal, how quickly you want to lose it, how much you exercised that day, etc. You can also add friends on there to update and motivate each other.  It's actually kind of fun.  Anyway, just thought I'd share my recent awesome discovery.
    Posted by BostonGal109[/QUOTE]

I use myfitnesspal on my "being good" days :)  I don't need to see the gory details from the days I knowingly overindulge.  I agree that it is a great app that is easy to use and update and has a vast database of foods and activities.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

[QUOTE]Two comments: 1. I LOVED Bodyscapes. It was amazing. I only left because I moved. Now I go to Healthworks. I also love Healthworks but it's more busy than Bodyscapes. 2. I'm ADDICTED to this "Myfitnesspal" app. Does anyone else use this? It's become a life saved. You put in what you ate that day (and it actually has a ton of things saved so you have a pretty accurate read and don't have to enter in everything), your weight, your goal, how quickly you want to lose it, how much you exercised that day, etc. You can also add friends on there to update and motivate each other.  It's actually kind of fun.  Anyway, just thought I'd share my recent awesome discovery.
    Posted by BostonGal109[/QUOTE]

BG - I too love MFP. I discovered it about a year ago and have used it off and on, but have been using it diligently since I started the Drop10 program at Healthworks, because we actually have to turn in our food journals (nothing like the public shame of your trainer to force you to eat better). It gets better and better all the time with the user added data. Plus, during the work day I can just update it from my browser even faster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luna_llena. Show luna_llena's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread : Any advice for guys? We need more than the girly stuff.
    Posted by Dreamy Eyes[/QUOTE]

There are boot camp classes around . . . I just joined one on the North Shore that includes a nutritional plan.  There are more women than men in the class, but it's definitely NOT girly.  The guy who runs it looks like an ex-marine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inter-Planet. Show Inter-Planet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread : Any advice for guys? We need more than the girly stuff.
    \

I LOVE when guys go to Body Pump.  The first class they try to load their bar like they would in the weight room and then I watch the look on their face right before they put it down in the middle of the track to take the plates off.  The other thing I love is when they can't lift as much as me which is just about all of them :)  What are you doing tomorrow at 8:30 AM Dreamy??  Care to try the girly stuff??

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inter-Planet. Show Inter-Planet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread : Have any straight guys ever taken that class with you?

Straight guys are too out of shape from sitting on the couch eating sammiches.  They usually stop early complaining that their calves hurt.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GracieJ. Show GracieJ's posts

Goal - 15 lbs
    start date: 1/14/12
    Goal date: 4/14/12

I'm a compulsive eater.  I've been to Weight Watchers TWICE and lost weight, so I know all the right things to do.  I just like to eat!  It's an addiction that you can't go "cold turkey" for.

I've started by writing down everything I eat.  Maybe that will disgust me enought to stop eating so much.  If you bite it you must write it!

Sections
Shortcuts