The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GracieJ. Show GracieJ's posts

Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread:
    [QUOTE]Gracie, just keep trying to get your movement in. I am convinced that my metabolism slows down in the winter even if I keep my activity level constant. And my body wants to do nothing other than nap in the winter.  I need to consciously make myself get up and do things.
    Posted by ThatJneenGrrl[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Neener.  I do get on my elliptical machine for 30 minutes a day.  My knees don't like doing it longer.  I can hardly wait until I can get a walk in after dinner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Gracie, just keep trying to get your movement in. I am convinced that my metabolism slows down in the winter even if I keep my activity level constant. And my body wants to do nothing other than nap in the winter.  I need to consciously make myself get up and do things.

This sounds like classic SAD symptoms, and I bet you'll have more success in the Winter for weight loss if you add light therapy to your regimen with a sunlight mimicking lamp.  I'm betting your mood is depressed for the lack of light, and this feels the same as if your body were in slow motion (or, as you put it your "metabolism slows in Winter").

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

[QUOTE]AJ - I want this Netflix bootcamp thing.  I'm assuming it's some sort of streaming video? 
    Posted by justcat[/QUOTE]

Yep... Its a Crunch Fitness workout called "Bootcamp Training":

This one requires 3-5lb weights, but I dont have any, so I just did the same movements without the weights and still was able to feel it afterwards.  
    There are a few good workout videos on Netflix.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from The Bloginator. Show The Bloginator's posts

I lubed my gyros and joints this morning and gained .5 kg

will work it off later by chaing an ugly mutt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

::ignores Bloginator::

So I weighed in today, and despite all the boozing and bad-food-eating I did over the weekend, I only managed to gain .7 lbs from last weigh in.  

I think I owe it to all the walking around we did, and of course the dancing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

kargiver, I am 100% certain that I have a mild-ish case of SAD (I mean, I'm not in constant tears and ready to jump off the Tobin or anything).

I keep meaning to get one of those darn lights.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]kargiver, I am 100% certain that I have a mild-ish case of SAD (I mean, I'm not in constant tears and ready to jump off the Tobin or anything). I keep meaning to get one of those darn lights.

It won't just help your mood; your weight loss efforts will pay off more without your consciously trying.  Putting things off is part of the pathology of it, ironically, so just force yourself to order one.  When it arrives, set it up and turn it on. :)

ETA:  I never thought you were suicidal, by the way.  It doesn't have to be severe to be real.  And, your saying that you think your metabolism slows down despite your keeping up your activity level was a tip off.  It doesn't, it just feels like it does.  The light will combat that feeling and the effects thereof.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

No, no...I know you didn't.  I was more speaking to how I just feel slightly...off on any given day rather than it being a constant pattern of slogging through life day after day.

But thank you :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

I was always a bit leary of the SAD - until I moved down south and saw a BIG difference in how I felt. If/when I move back north, the first purchase is one of those lights!

Make the investment Neener - we need you cheering us on and leading the pack!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]No, no...I know you didn't.  I was more speaking to how I just feel slightly...off on any given day rather than it being a constant pattern of slogging through life day after day. But thank you :)

That slightly off feeling can have a HUGE negative impact on your weight loss efforts, especially if you are emotionally translating it to a feeling of a "slower metabolism."  Just that thought alone will hurt your efforts behind the scenes.  Talk about an effortless way to get back on track or at least enjoy more success  - turn on the lights! :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

Here's my check in:
    Current Weight: 157.8
    Last Weigh In:  159
    Goal: 148
    Goal Date: 3/18 (ie be 20lbs lighter in this year's bday pics!)
    Lost since March 2011: -10.2
    Progess this week: -1.2

I didn't weigh in last week because I had to head straight to a conference - 14 hours a day of sitting, no gym, food everywhere, and drinking 3 days in a row. I tried to be good and then BAM! I got home in time for Superbowl food madness.  Then I got strep throat and an ear infection (yes, I'm actually 4 years old. Somebody get me a popcicle).

Somehow, I weighed in the same this morning that I did on 1/31 and I'm starting to believe it. It feels weird though. Not sure I'm going to get to below 150 before my bday, but I'm gonna try my darndest!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

[QUOTE]So despite the 7,000 slices of Hickory Farms beefstick, a few thousand pieces of cheese, at least 20 gougeres, and a couple of martinis - oh, and a salad - I still managed to not put on any weight when I went to the gym this morning.  Hopefully, it's not hiding somewhere and the scale will creep up later in the week...
    Posted by justcat[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, JC, I feel ya there! You feel like it's somehow stealthily hiding, ready to jump out at any second! Also, it sounds like we had the same menu ... sooo much meat and cheeesseeeeee

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE] Not sure I'm going to get to below 150 before my bday, but I'm gonna try my darndest!
    Posted by naturalginger[/QUOTE]

8 lbs in 5 weeks is a totally reasonable goal of about 1.5 lbs a week.  Exercise will be a must to make it, though, since you want a weekly calorie deficit of about 5200 calories, far more than you can create by cutting calories with food alone.

Congrats on the great week.  One day of splurging doesn't do much damage.  What does it is the, "Well, yesterday I ruined the week so what does this donut, candy bar, whatever matter now...and tomorrow...and tomorrow."  If you get back on track the next day, no harm done.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luna_llena. Show luna_llena's posts

Goal - 30 lbs
    Start date - 2/22/11
    Goal Date - 6/1/2012
    Pounds lost this week .2
    Left to go - 23.6 
    Total lost since 2/22/11 - 6.4 lbs

Another underwhelming week. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

UPDATE:
    Goal - 50 lbs
    start date: 6/30/11
    Goal date: 6/30/12
    loss this week: -1
    loss to-date: 15.6
    to go: 34.4

FINALLY!! Although I did have a nice compliment from my trainer, who announced in his loud southern drawl, 'damn girl you is slimmin' down!'.  This gym thing is crankin

Have fun this weekend dolls!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

[QUOTE]UPDATE: Goal - 50 lbs start date: 6/30/11 Goal date: 6/30/12 loss this week: -1 loss to-date: 15.6 to go: 34.4 FINALLY!! Although I did have a nice compliment from my trainer, who announced in his loud southern drawl, 'damn girl you is slimmin' down!'.  This gym thing is crankin Have fun this weekend dolls!
    Posted by JTB8773[/QUOTE]

JTB is your trainer taking new clients? And will he come to Boston? I'd be motivated by a southern talkin' trainer cutie (I assume he's cute, trainers usually are).

Well done girl! GO pick up a 15lb sack of potatoes and remind yourself why it was so much work to shed it - that's a lot!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread : JTB is your trainer taking new clients? And will he come to Boston? I'd be motivated by a southern talkin' trainer cutie (I assume he's cute, trainers usually are). Well done girl! GO pick up a 15lb sack of potatoes and remind yourself why it was so much work to shed it - that's a lot!
    Posted by naturalginger[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! He IS adorable (and young enough to be my son) and is always looking for clients - I'll tell him he has a built in client base with this blog!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

I will do an official update either tonight or tomorrow...I suspect we had decent weeks, Superbowl aftermath be damned!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

***UPDATE TIME!!!***

Hi kids!

How goes your February?

Well we, made it through the Super Bowl parties, so Eating Season is officially OVER.  No more excuses until Easter.  Because everyone knows beer contains no carbs nor calories on St. Pat's, and corned beef is loaded with protein :)

Our Dancing Banana winner is NatGing, who tightened up and lost another 1.2 pounds since her last official check in!  AND LESS THAN TEN POUNDS AWAY FROM GOAL!  Woot!!   Shake it shake it!!

I am late for work, so will finish this later!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GracieJ. Show GracieJ's posts

I lost 2.4 lbs last week on my "eat what you hate" diet.  The definition of that is:  No dessert, no pretzels, no wine, no white bread.  YUCK.  I still need to lost 12.6 lbs.  I want to drop at least five more before the end of March when I go on a warm-weather vacation.  Need to fit into those summer clothes!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not to discourage you, but if you hit your goal simply by depriving yourself completely of everything you like and eating only things you hate there's no way you'll keep that up and you'll pack on the "OMG, I LOVE CAKE" pounds all summer.  Maybe an approach that isn't so restrictive of food happiness will set you up for long term success...that's what you want, right?  To be able to wear the same shorts in August that you could zip up in June?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GracieJ. Show GracieJ's posts

[QUOTE]Not to discourage you, but if you hit your goal simply by depriving yourself completely of everything you like and eating only things you hate there's no way you'll keep that up and you'll pack on the "OMG, I LOVE CAKE" pounds all summer.  Maybe an approach that isn't so restrictive of food happiness will set you up for long term success...that's what you want, right?  To be able to wear the same shorts in August that you could zip up in June?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I'm in a catch-22 thing on this.  I'm an "all or nothing at all" (Frank Sinatra, where are you) person.  I either want a whole loaf of bread or none.  I either want half a cake or none.  Once I get the weight off I may be in a better mindset to add a LITTLE bit of the things I want without going off the deep end.  When I first went on WW, I told myself when I lost all the weight I wanted to that I would go to the Chocolate Buffet.  When I got off the weight, I didn't want to go because I was so proud of what I had accomplished.  Hopefully this will be the same way.  I just have to watch myself in times of intense stress.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

GracieJ, I hate to say it, but that strategy is going to bite you in the butt in the long run.

you need to train yourself healthy habits, and then you need to stay with them.

If you do the deprive deprive deprive thing, yes, the pounds will come off, and if you are good at it, will come off quickly.

But then you will go back to your "normal" way of eating, and they will creep back on.  And probably bring some pesky friends with them.

Despite the name of the thread and the measuring stick we use for the sake of keeping ourselves honest, we aren't all about losing here - we are about teaching ourselves to live better, healthier, stronger lives - even if that means the pounds don't necessarily come off, or come off as quickly as we would like them to.

Unrealistically keeping yourself from foods you love - then overindulging when you "let yourself" have them - is no way to build a lifetime relationship with food.

I highly suggest asking your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist and discussing your food issues with him/her.

OMG I THREW THE THERAPY CARD. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread : I'm in a catch-22 thing on this.  I'm an "all or nothing at all" (Frank Sinatra, where are you) person.  I either want a whole loaf of bread or none.  I either want half a cake or none.  Once I get the weight off I may be in a better mindset to add a LITTLE bit of the things I want without going off the deep end.  When I first went on WW, I told myself when I lost all the weight I wanted to that I would go to the Chocolate Buffet.  When I got off the weight, I didn't want to go because I was so proud of what I had accomplished.  Hopefully this will be the same way.  I just have to watch myself in times of intense stress.
    Posted by GracieJ[/QUOTE]

Gracie, I'm glad you didn't take offense at my forthrightness.  Jeen is so right, though, I totally agree and fear for your longterm health.  That's great you succeeded at first after losing weight before, but if it had worked long term you'd not be needing to lose weight, again.  Yo-yo dieting has been proven to be very hard on your body from a true health and longevity perspective.  I'm hoping maybe against hope that I'm not coming across as yelling at you or putting down your efforts.  In truth, I'm tearing up to think of the frustration and weight gain down the road you'll suffer for going with this approach that I agree is probably based on a lack of knowledge about what TO do instead.

Being an all or none eater is a habit, and it takes about 6 months to break habits.  You CAN eat a piece of something and put the rest back, but up to now you've chosen not to.  It's hard, but you can decide to break that habit and not deprive yourself completely, get down to your goal weight, and then watch it creep back on.

The other thing about that is that if you are not eating enough nutrient dense food, you're going to go whole hog on bread if given the chance.  Go heavy, heavy on veggies, and you'll find it easier to resist a whole loaf of bread just because it's there.

Someone in TTC expressed discouragement with her lack of knowledge of nutrition so I did a search in amazon, and while I haven't read this personally, from the reviews and description I think it's a great way to start if you want to cut calories in a way that doesn't deprive you of your favs, ever.  You can really be happy and eat 1600 - 1700 calories a day if you make wise, balanced choices and be sure to include a treat here and there.  A square of milk chocolate from Trader Joe's Pound Plus, for instance, is only about 70 calories.  Not a big percentage of 1700, hardly a diet breaker.  And, quite satisfying if you're eating a lot of nutrient dense food that banish cravings, for the most part, every day.  (And, frozen veggies have the same nutritional value as fresh and are much cheaper if you're worried about a cart full of expensive produce.)

Check it out and see what you think.  It's only $13.  Ignore the name - I'm so not calling you an idiot. :)  Total Nutrition