The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GracieJ. Show GracieJ's posts

Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

Kargiver, you have given us a plethora of useful information.  Are you a nutritionist?  Please keep up the good advice.
    Good to see you, Kaptain.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

Why do I get the feeling Kaptain checks in on us regularly, but felt the need to speak up due to the topic at hand ? :)

Heh.  I said "hand".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread:
    [QUOTE]Jesseyeric... BOB= Battery Operated Boyfriend. Unless I'm doing jumping jacks while I'm using him, I don't think I'll burn as many calories as I do with sex with an actual person. Just saying :)
    Posted by AlyssaJones[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahahahaha can you imagine doing jumping jacks at the same time? Crunches and squats, maybe; jumping jacks? no.

Good thing dancing burns up a whole lotta calories, too, so when we go out to meet the real fellas and shake our booties, we are getting a good work out in, too!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luna_llena. Show luna_llena's posts

Yep, BOB is very dependable.  But sometimes you just want to get b@nged like a h0!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Exactly luna!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am beginning to think this LL place is not a safe haven for a bum like me. You ladies are too much.

Alyssa, I am still on my knees, but I am thinking about something else now. Kudos to you.

And really, Salma Hayek as an avatar. The hottest chick ever! I think I need to go to the gym and work out a little.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

wherever you get motivation from, jesseyeric. hahah that's what we're here for :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from peregrinite. Show peregrinite's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread : Haha this is true, but having regular sex with a partner burns more calories, and its the emotional aspect to it, too.  My poor BOB gets more of a workout than I do.  
    Posted by AlyssaJones[/QUOTE]

The "Starfish" is the deathknell to both diet and relationships alike.  Unless one is tied that way and being force fed of course.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

I'm coming to the conclusion that I need AJ and Icey in my life full time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

I would concur with that statement ginger!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

And my date for tonight canceled on me *again*, so i guess I'm going to the gym instead!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Siri Loves Rob. Show Siri Loves Rob's posts

AlyssaJones, I found that listing for Charming Sean for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kargiver, you have given us a plethora of useful information.  Are you a nutritionist?  Please keep up the good advice. Good to see you, Kaptain.
    Posted by GracieJ[/QUOTE]

GracieJ, thanks!  I'm glad to help, but I am not a nutritionist.  I have two sources of information; my own research I've done out of a passion for nutrition (and good food) that I've kept up with over the last 15 years and my aunt who is not only a real nutritionist but a chiropractor (30+ years) with a very successful practice (with 5 doctors, a physical therapist, and massage therapist on staff).  She, in fact, has recently moved away from doing traditional spinal manipulation herself in favor of dealing with today's very complicated, due to hormone infused food and bioengineered food that changed the game, nutritional troubles.

Also, my entire family has always had a weight problem, both sides, and when I gained 30 lbs in my twenties (after marrying my compulsive over-eating ex-husband) I decided I was NOT going that way, and I was NOT going to try a million and one miracle diets.  My parents have been on every diet in the book so I'm well versed in a lot of popular ones.  I started counting calories, learning nutrition, and exercising.

I'm 40 now, and essentially at my target weight (about 5 - 7 lbs over).  I like to help people succeed with the information I've used a long time myself to get and stay healthy.  And, it remains a struggle to not overeat...probably always will be.  I love good food, and I'm a good cook! LOL

But, definitely keep in mind I'm not a professional.  

ETA:  Harbormistress, let us know if that sounded like a viable suggestion.  I really don't know since I'm making a guess about what type of veggies you're eating and how much fruit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Siri... I said "Call Sailor"  not "Sean"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

UPDATE:
    Goal - 50 lbs
    start date: 6/30/11
    Goal date: 6/30/12
    loss this week: 0
    loss to-date: 16
    to go: 34.

Ah, either salt is my enemy this week or I'm retaining water for Gisele!

Oh well, if you need me I'll be running back and forth to the ladies room with the water I'm drinking!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GracieJ. Show GracieJ's posts

Kargiver,Thanks for all the info.  You know of what you speak.  I am a good 20 years older than you and I can tell you that once menopause hit, all heck broke loose!  Before that I used to fight the 5-6 lb weight gain.  Then it went into 0ver-drive and before I knew it I was 30 lbs overweight.  I am down to about 11 lbs over what I want to be and it is a struggle.  I have been to WW and I think they are the right way to go.  It's not a diet; it's a way of life.  I am a compulsive overeater and struggle to keep that in check.  I don't know if I lost any weight this week, but my pants fit better!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie, that's great you're having success with WW - I am a fan of their points system, very healthy approach imo.  Congrats on your nearly 20 lb loss!

What you can do, too, especially after menopause to keep fat gain at bay is to be mindful not losing muscle mass.  I'm not saying to become a body builder or anything, lol, but as you lose muscle mass you burn fewer calories at rest forcing your calorie needs to go down.  Since most women aren't aware of this they keep eating the same amount and gain weight "mysteriously."  

Hormonal changes drive muscle mass loss, but doing simple resistance training (with the approval of your doctor and w/in the limits of your particular needs, of course) can stem that tide.  Your doctor would easily be able to put together a good plan to get you started or maybe your insurance covers a gym membership where you can get professional guidance (they will require clearance from your doc, I think).  

Not only will you boost your resting metabolism, but weight resistance builds bone mass, often another casualty of menopause hormones.  And, it wouldn't need to take a lot of time, extraordinary effort, or any money.

ETA:  Gracie, I've been thinking that another reason you might not be seeing as much progress with the same regemin is that 20 lbs ago, your body had to expend more calories to do its daily thing.  So, you could eat that many more points and have weight loss.  20 lbs lighter, everything is easier for your bod and takes less energy.  So, maybe a reassessment of your points with your WW consultant (if you haven't done that in awhile) might help blast those last 11 lbs.  Otherwise, you'll hit that infamous 10 lbs left plateau that nearly always due to the phenomenon of burning less per day for having acheived so much of your goal.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting.  I do know that I have to be VERY careful not to overestimate how much I've burned by exercising and, therefore, can make up for (or get away) with consuming more calories.  If I think of exercise as not burning any calories and eat as if I weren't exercising, I lose more weight for having burned the calories I don't account for.  If, on the other hand, I say, "Hey, I walked 4 miles today so..." I don't get any weight loss benefit from exercising at all because apparently I don't burn as much as I estimate I do and I undo the good I did from purely a calorie perspective.  I don't know if that's the science behind the phenomenon or not, but it's my experience, anyway.

The other thing I wonder about regarding this is that are they talking weight or fat?  Exercising, especially that of the anaerobic variety, of course, builds muscle and burns calories.  A loss of fat and gain of muscle will make a relatively slim person weigh more.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Going sweetner free of all sorts is fabulous, but in case anyone does want a chemical free option, stevia is a totally natural plant extract (just look at the ingredients of the "stevia" product to make sure that's all that's in it - often it's not alone).  But, yes, calorie-free sweetener of any type leads to sugar cravings and an overall increase in calorie consumption.  It takes a few months, but we can train ourselves to be happy without sweet things by simply not eating any.  The less you eat the less you want.

Sean, interesting stuff.  I've recently read, too, that it's blood sugar that's the real culprit in the hardening of arteries because its crystaline structure creates microscrapes in the arteries for blood cholesterol to adhere to and collect in.  Having well controlled blood sugar renders cholesterol, therefore, harmless, according to the latest.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Never looked in on this thread before. Always thought from the title that it was a thread about getting drunk and stupid, ie, "I got so sh*tfaced the other night, I misplaced my butt! Where did my butt go??"

That sort of thing

Kinda disappointed to find out it's about something more mundane like tracking weight loss

No offense, but watching a bunch of fat people sit around and discuss their triumphs/failures/struggles/frustrations et al regarding their attempts to lose weight is really boring

But as long as I am here, this is my story:

I have never been overweight before
    Not even for a single day in my entire life
    I eat whatever I want and never gain an ounce
    I weighed 175 pounds in high school, and I weigh 175 now
    If anything, I have trouble maintaining weight. Sometimes if I skip just one meal, I will suddenly drop 5-6 pounds, and I will have to compensate for that by purposely overeating during my next meal. Today, for instance, I'm working through lunch, so tonight I will probably have to eat 3-4 whole pizzas just to regain any lbs I lost during the day

My personal opinion is that fat people dont need nutritionists or dieticians or WeightWatchers. All you folks need is to stop making excuses and to exercise a little self ontrol at the dinner table. Simple as that. Discipline is a virtue

Be like my dog, William. He is a very disciplined eater. When I put too much food in his bowl, he will stare up at me with a look as if to say, "Hey, Wildo! What are you doing? I dont need this much food. Please take some of it away. How am I ever going to achieve 3% body fat like you, if you keep feeding me like a blubbo?"

Amazing how much he can communicate to me with just that one look, huh?

And believe it or not, he refuses to eat until I remove the excess food from his bowl

Here is a picture of him:

Look at how lean he is. Isnt he handsome?

Well, good luck to all of you. I hope you reach your weight loss goals

Best wishes

Peace and Love

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.