The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from porkshop and the temple of doom. Show porkshop and the temple of doom's posts

Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread:
    [QUOTE]Pink ping pong jokes are by definition hilarious
    Posted by AcheNot[/QUOTE]

I like this guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harbourmistress. Show Harbourmistress's posts

since the last time i posted here ive not only not lost, ive gained 5lbs.  but today i dragged my fat asssss off the couch where it's usually parked on sunday mornings and power walked 4 miles at the track.  in my past experience, getting moving physically = mentally motivating me to 'get moving' diet-wise - hopefully this time too.  spring's right around the corner.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Jneen!!

Lily, that's one of my tricks, too - love that potato/salsa combo with a little shredded cheese and/or Trader Joe's fat free sour cream (a total gem of a find).

Harbour, that's discouraging, BUT rememember, it can't all be a true fat gain in a week unless you've really gone particularly nuts in the food department.  A true pound of fat takes about a 3500 calorie consumption that does not get burned.  So, you'd have had to have eaten LITERALLY 17,500 beyond what your body burned  for the week (probably 1800*7 = 12,600) to have gained 5 whole pounds of fat.  HIGHLY UNLIKELY.  So, don't fret.  Great job getting out there and walking.  Up your water intake, eat a banana a day (for potassium), and reduce your salt this week, and I bet you'll find that a lot of that 5 lbs was water weight.  Honestly, you couldn't have eaten 4300 calories a day last week.  So, try not to fret too much. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Weigh in today showed a .7lb gain, although my one pair of pants that I'm using as a gauge have less muffin-top.  

::shrugs::

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Salsa is wonderful, however even though it is low in calories, it can be high in sodium resulting in some mild fluid retention and this may be reflected on the scale as weight gain the next morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Usually if you go for the salsa in the deli section as opposed to the mass-produced crap in the chip aisle, it doesn't have added sugar and/or sodium.  Have to check the labels. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A .7 gain with less muffin top sounds like it's not a fat gain.  I went to a gym that had a model of what a lb of fat would look like and it's surprisingly voluminous.  Of course, it's distributed over your whole body, but still.  I'd say less muffin top is a successful week even if the scale doesn't quite agree. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: The Official LL

Another thing to keep in mind is the sodium amount listed refers to one serving ( a tablespoon or something) I usually eat half the jar with half a bag of chips!   PS: Most things that taste good have a lot of salt or sugar in them!    If you just want good numbers, fast for 24 hours, have all the water and unsweetened fruit juice (pineapple is best) you want, you will weigh about 5 pounds less the next day!  But it gradually comes back as you resume eating.   Sometimes it's a good way to kick start a diet, assuming you have no medical problems that would contraindicate this. Some recommend doing this once a month as a cleansing ritual, fasting longer than 24 hours should not be done, unless under the supervision of a physician.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Yeah I lasted about 2 days on the Master Cleanse, too.  Sadly, I love solid food too much.  

But I do agree that fasting can be good for the digestive system from time to time.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

dog-lady, I don't believe in tricks like that.

The stuff we're supposed to be training ourselves to do are supposed to be healthy habits for a lifetime, not stressing over the actual scale numbers (although, ok, GUILTY!) and freaking our bodies out with weird fasts.

I do agree with HM that moving should come FIRST in any regimen.  I know that I  broke the overwhelming grip of crap food cravings that way 5 years ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I'm talking about one day a month if you can tolerate it, kind of gives the digestive system a rest etc, but it's not for everyone, when  was younger it worked for me, but I wouldn't try it now, I'd get too dizzy!   It shrinks the stomach a little too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

I just found a good article about fasting on Dr. Weil's website:

I've had good success with juice fasting in the past, once I commit to it.  Its really best to have your own juicer, though. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread:
    [QUOTE]I just found a good article about fasting on Dr. Weil's website: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400178 I've had good success with juice fasting in the past, once I commit to it.  Its really best to have your own juicer, though. 
    Posted by AlyssaJones[/QUOTE]

This one is admittedly expensive, but we've had cheaper ones, and they just don't extract the juice very well (in our experience) so we wasted a LOT of vegetables to make the same amount of juice.  The money you save on the machine eventually gets lost to using too much produce.  For anyone in the market, I recommend this Breville.  My husband fasts with it sometimes, but both of us use it to juice during the late summer when we have barrels of apples, carrots, and mint.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GracieJ. Show GracieJ's posts

So glad you are all doing so well.  I am not.  I am stressed to the max right now and, while not eating high-calorie foods, am eating TOO much of a good thing.  I know I'll eventually get back on track, but I was trying to lose some for an up-coming trip.  Oh well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Kargiver, the Breville juicer was the one I used to have.  Sadly, I lost it in a breakup and never got my own.  I loved it though.  

GracieJ... hang in there.  Try to at least get some regular exercise, even if its just a walk.  I know when I was super stressed out last year, thats when I put on all my weight.  It was so hard to even think about eating right when I had so many other things to worry about.   We're here for you though if you need us :)

UPDATE:  Weighed in again today with a -1.3 loss since yesterday.  Now thats more like it.  So, I really lost another half a pound since last week.  Tongue Out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

AJ, see?  I wasn't just blowing sunshine. :)  Congrats!

GracieJ, while you are super stressed, focus on doing whatever you can to relax other than eat instead of focusing on your diet, per se.  Lavender oil (real essential oil, not artificial chemicals) triggers brain chemistry that relaxes you.  I recommend L'Occitane's pure lavender essential oil.  It costs, but it lasts at least a year.  Dab it on your pulse points morning and night.  Put a few drops in a hot bath and one on your pillow. (Assuming you're not allergic to lavender, of course!)  A single glass of wine with dinner can relax you, as well; no more than that any later than that since it will interrupt your sleep (without your direct knowledge).  Get into soft, cozy PJs when you get home from work.  Drink a hot, mint tea when you get home to help relax you and to take the edge of the desire to overeat; mint is a natural non-stimulant appetite suppressor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

haha yeah when I was stressed out to the max there was no way I could stop at one glass of wine.  I was downing a bottle a night.  

Not proud of that, but its how I coped.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I figured I'd toss it out there that more than that causes sleep disturbances even though you feel sleepy when you go to bed.  This is a no judgement zone!  If we all had super healthy coping skills none of us would have a weight problem, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

yeah, thats very true.  I sleep like crap if I have too much wine.  

However, at the height of my stress last year I wasn't sleeping well anyway so I figured I might as well.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chemically, it's hard to sleep when you're in a constant state of higher than average stress because stress hormones (cortisol, for instance) are anti-sleep.  Alcohol exacerbates these effects throughout the night after the initial sleepiness wears off and makes your REM cycles shorter which, in turn, stresses you out even more the next day.  But, that's water under your bridge - now you know, and hopefully others considering downing alcohol to "help them relax/sleep" know, too!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Well, I was never in the mindset that all that booze was *good* for me.  Jesus.  

I never drank to help me sleep so much as to dull the pain.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from justcat. Show justcat's posts

And the problem with wine (or any booze for that matter) is that it lowers your inhibitions (my biggest is just for food) so that you have no compunction about eating something you mightn't otherwise.  That was told to me by a nutritionist years ago, and despite the fact that I've never forgotten it, I don't always follow that credo, sadly. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Of course, no one drinks thinking it's a health tonic (I wasn't implying anything), but I think the alcohol-REM destroyer aspect is a sparsely known fact, and I do know people who do drink under stress to sleep better because it makes them feel sleepy.  They've ended up more stressed because they sleep more poorly and drink more at night and the cycle continues and worsens.  The sleep effect details were meant for general consumption (get it?! ha!), not aimed particularly at you AJ.  Since I mentioned the one glass of wine, I wanted to address the question of if one is good for relaxation, why not 2, and why not one right before bed?

And, yeah, 2 beers and I'm heading for the chips...I can't be stopped.