The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread

In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread : JTB, I'm not sure where you're located, but I originally went to a studio in Quincy where I was working at the time, and have recently decided to give a few classes a try at a Newton studio. Both of the studios (and I feel that this is reasonably consistent across the practice) are very relaxed, helpful to new students, and very judgement free if you feel like you can't 'keep up'. There's nothing competitive about it so there's no reason to push yourself into heat stroke :) Yesterday, because of the heat, it was much warmer than the normal 95 degrees they would keep it at, and people struggled. There was no issue with taking yourself back into a resting pose at any time... the instructors encouraged it. If you're anywhere in the Brighton/Allston/Newton area and wanted to check out a class, you're more than welcome to email me from my profile and find a time to come along. I promise it's not that scary, and it's always better to have a sidekick your first time!
    Posted by naturalginger[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from softpatina. Show softpatina's posts

Yay- it's weigh-in day!

Goal: -30 from starting date
    Starting date: 06/30/2011
    Goal date: 01/01/2012
    Pounds lost this week: 1
    Total lost: 4
    Left to go: 26

Another 1 down, at least I'm consistent. Now if I could only get motivated to exercise more regularly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

****WEEKLY UPDATE SUMMARY TIME!!!****

Another tremendous weekend for me...hope yours was good, too :)

I would like to welcome this week's newcomer to the thread: the amazingly gorgeous ItalianIce!  Hi Icey!

This week's Dancing Banana goes to hollygolitely for a big ol' THREE POUND LOSS!  The roof! The roof!  The roof is on fiyah!

...and to think she tried to sneak that one past us as a "break even".  THERE WILL BE NONE OF THAT AROUND HERE.  We go week to week.

Other notables are JTB8773 and softpatina...each with a healthy 1 lb lost. And lovely lurker luna-llena is down a respectable .6! Hooray!

NaturalGinger had some nice contributions to the thread this week about hot power yoga or some crazy thing that made my hips scream just thinking about it.  You go on with your bad self, Ginger...we don't even need you to actually check in ;)  There were also some good suggestions for food diary/tracking sites.  Check them out and see if they help!

Holding steady this week: saidwhat.  I think a bunch of people forgot to check in this week.  Your pal ThatJneenGrrl also managed to fight off the scariness  the scale was showing midweek, and I'm holding at 0.  I'll take it for now, but I really need a kickstart of some sort.  I don't suppose a meal of chicken quesadillas and grape freeze pops last night was helpful, but let's move on, shall we?

And now...the big long list of people awaiting their turn on the Treadmill of Shame:

Perhaps he hot weather made us retain fluid.  Yeah.  That's it.  We'll do better next week.

Treadmillers this week are WickedMcCool and CHC, each with a +1, justcat with a +.75 (I recommend you p00p ;) and Carioke with a vacation-worthy +4.  However, I'm making Inter-Planet stay on the longest, because she wouldn't even fess up to how much she gained ;)

That's all the punishment I have for now...thanks for playing!

Any updates made after this post will be included in next week's recap.

my official update is as follows:

Goal: -50 from starting date
    Starting date: 08/05/2010
    Goal date: really just want to be healthy
    Pounds lost this week: 0
    Total lost: 13
    Left to go: 37
    Total lost since August 2007: 63

I'll do another update next Sunday!  Go get 'em, kids! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WickedMcCool. Show WickedMcCool's posts

Yes, that's it  - water weight gain because of the heat!!  Way to go, Jneen!! 

Hopefully this week's weather will enable us to take walks and bike rides outside.  I did nothing in the way of fitness last week!!  (Although I did eat kinda healthy - no ice cream at all!!)

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

I'm sure it does work for other people, but that cleanse thing would just never work for me.

My poor children would probably have me commited by Day 3.

I was having tremendous luck in late May/early June with a dietary supplement called CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), which is a naturally occuring amino acid in a bunch of different foods.  It's supposed to help you metabolize fat.  I dropped like 7 lbs in 3-4 weeks, with my diet and activity level remaining pretty much constant.

However, I developed a food sensitivity to it that caused me to quit.  Rashes in your throat (and other places along your digestive tract, for that matter) are not fun.  I've managed to maintain that loss save for a pound or two, though...so it was a "real" loss and not just some wacky body trick/water thing.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

YAY Holly!!! way (or weight) to join the dancing bannana club!!
    Congrats to everyone else - gonna be a good week for all of us - right />!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Turns out that the 10+ pounds I *thought* I put on over the winter is actually 20 according to the dr's scale.  And still trending the wrong way.   

Goal:  -20
    Starting date:  7/27/11
    Goal date:  ASAP 

I hope the early morning bike ride I went on this morning jump starts things for me! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

Just a Monday reminder to everyone that we are doing this to live healthier, better lives for ourselves and not just so we can wear the cute dress, right?

:stares longingly at pretty white summer sheath dress hanging in closet that still doesn't fit properly:

*sigh*

ONWARD!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hollygolitely. Show hollygolitely's posts

damn, are you kidding me?  wow............ i had no idea i won!  since my weight fluctuates every few days up and down I hope i can hold onto that and get the scale going in the proper direction!  good luck to us all   :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

I've gained 6.6 pounds since I first posted. =(

Here I go again this week... I will NOT even LOOK at chocolate. Or savory things. Mmmm. Savory.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Still holding at 20 pounds lost, did gain 2 lbs over the heat wave, but that's gone again.  I may actually have to go back to the gym and stop pretending that gardening is the same as lifting weights.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

What's everyone's theory on 'a calorie is a calorie is a calorie'.  Because I just ate three 98% fat free hot dogs diced up with mustard for lunch. And 2 ice pops.  140 calories, but slightly devoid of nutrition.

As far as a check in, I last weighed myself on Friday and was down another 1lb. I'll weigh myself tonight for a 'real' check in and post it later.

In terms of exercies, I made it to power yoga again on Saturday and will go tonight. 3 sessions going on 4 and the limp in my ankle is no more. It's amazing what some strength and balance exercises, along with stretching, have done for my recovery. I feel like I'm ready to start running again (but I won't).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

I have my own crackpot theories about "a calorie is a calorie" Ginger.

Like..naturally occurring food containing saturated fat make you feel more "full" and stick with you longer than foods that have been modified to take that stuff out.  I think saturated fat being removed from fried and other foods makes people eat MORE of the not-healthy stuff.

I for one know that I do much better having a yogurt for a snack in the afternoon than a similar-calorie snack of another kind, because it doesn't turn on my eat only carbs-crash-feel tired-crave more carbs monster. 

I have lost close to 70 lbs since August 2007 simply by walking 3 or 4 20-min increments a day and trying to stick with "real" food (like...if your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food, it ain't food) and drinking only water except for a glass of milk with dinner.  If I truly want ice cream or some other dessert, I have some.  A measured amount in a small cup or bowl.  I drink real beer and eat something crazy at a restaurant on Saturdays.  I live a real and fulfilling "food life" and enjoy parties and holidays.  But it's still coming off. :)

I figure I need to live in a way that I can maintain without feeling like it's something I am setting myself up to fail at, or a "diet" that I can "stop" when I get to some magical weight. 

This is just how I live now.  The end. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

If you eat 2 of something, do you have to count the calories from the second?
    Isn't it just really a "duplicate" twinkie?

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE SO FAR ON YOUR LOSSES!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

Now when I find the genie in the bottle and I get my three wishes the first one is that I get to dictate the calorie and nutritional count in the foods I eat. That way, my martini will have 0 calories and be as nutritious as broccholi!

That being said - I'm with Jneen- gotta have 'real food' and I'd rather have 1/2 oz of chocolate (dark, Tazo chocolate from Somerville with faint flavoring of chilis) than some strange, no-carb, no-taste tofutti/crappo whatever.  Except of course for Jello.  Gotta love my sugar free Jello!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

In Response to Re: The Official LL "Where Did My Butt Go?" Thread:
    [QUOTE]Just a Monday reminder to everyone that we are doing this to live healthier, better lives for ourselves and not just so we can wear the cute dress, right? :stares longingly at pretty white summer sheath dress hanging in closet that still doesn't fit properly: *sigh* ONWARD!
    Posted by ThatJneenGrrl[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

Welcome, -callie!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

I think it's a pretty solid theory. Your body naturally goes into "famine" mode.

I'm also a believer in the "shock" phenomenon, where if you eat the same kinds of (healthy) things every day, then shock your body with a big "special occasion" meal every now and again (think holidays), your metabolism will get a jolt and when you go back to your regular eating pattern, you will actually see a loss in the following 2-3 weeks where you may have been plateauing prior to the special occasion meal.

This, of course, does not work if you are the kind of person who has the big special occasion meal and then goes off on a three month eating binge as a result.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Cariokie. Show -Cariokie's posts

According to my trainer, a calorie is a calorie, BUT calories that come from healthy foods like veggies, fruit, fish and chicken (only to name a few) and NOT from fried, fatty or junk foods are better for you and contribute to building lean muscle rather than cellulite thighs.

Yeah, I know it's common sense, but it's better to snack on almonds than Cheetos or yogurt rather than ice cream.

One other gem from the trainer, if you're craving a cheeseburger, have it. Just don't do it 5 times in a week. That way, you don't feel deprived and can get back to healthy choices quickly rather than bingeing....Like Jneen said above, this is about healthy eating and being able to maintain things over time. Thanks, Neener!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Saidwhat. Show Saidwhat's posts

I've experienced the metabolism slow down due to not eating enough so am now a firm believer in eating the calories I need especially on days when I work out. 

I also agree with JNeen about the shock phenomenon.  I think varying up your calories every day along with the foods you eat, creates metabolism confusion much the way P90X creates muscle confusion, in a good way.  I think that's pretty much the basis for that 17 day diet that is so popular these days but you can certainly do it on your own if you just pay attention to what you are eating.

Of course, this is great in theory but really great when it works in real life to help you reach your goal!!!  Fingers crossed!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

Well, really...it makes sense if you think of how people used to eat thousands of years ago when food was not so readily available.

Your diet was naturally varied because you had to eat what was in season.  There would be periods of scarcity or even famine.  If there was a big kill, there would be a huge feast before the meat spoiled.

People didn't habitually eat oatmeal breakfast/salad lunch/yogurt snack/chicken and veggies dinner/repeat ad nauseum.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

I also find that the more activity, I get, the more I crave healthier foods.  In fact, I think the walking was the first thing that kickstarted my loss. 

It didn't start with consciously changing what I ate.