Thursday, 11/10 - When Raccoons Attack

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Thursday, 11/10 - When Raccoons Attack

There was a raging raccoon/cat fight outside my window last night.  Isn't everyone who weighs less than twenty pounds supposed to be curled up in a burrow/bed/crib after dark?  What the hell, people?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCorvin. Show MrCorvin's posts

Re: Thursday, 11/10 - When Raccoons Attack

Not Raccoons, they are very nocturnal creatures.

When I lived in The South, we would have racoons that looked 30 pounds just lift the lid to the garbage can and dig in. My stepfather got fined by fish and game commishion because while they wouldn't do anything, he wound up scaring it off with a bb gun....and got fined for hunting without a license.

He proceeded to have them billed for yard cleanup. They dropped the fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Well, they need to not try to hump the neighborhood cats.  They can go quietly steal trash like the possums.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Montyy. Show Montyy's posts

I love that DG is punctual with the 'letter'.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Racoons will kill cats. They're not vegetarians, and they aren't quiet. They can be pretty nasty to deal with.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

I am so close to having the little bestirds taken out, I swear.  I can't wait til everything starts hibernating.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

In NY my dad used to put out food laced with rat poison - evidently there's a 'raccon network' and the little lovies stopped bothering them.

He also closed the windows and turned off the hearing aid to reduce the sound.

Not sure which was more effective

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PowderGirl. Show PowderGirl's posts

Raccoons scare the bejesus out of me.  Fact.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

In Response to Re: Thursday, 11/10 - When Raccoons Attack:
    I am so close to having the little bestirds taken out, I swear.  I can't wait til everything starts hibernating.
    Posted by diamondgirl

Raccoons don't hibernate.  They'll be with you all winter long and bring you lots of little babies come spring. Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

They come to get into the garbage or the bird seed that falls on the ground. We have very few of them because no one puts their trash out overnight or feeds the birds or feeds their pets outside. If your house or building stores garbage outdoors racoons will eventually find it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Raccoons make a lovely purring cooing sound that is so cute right up until they attack and bite and claw the everliving crap out of you. 

They and skunks are nocturnal - I have a ginormous skunk that sleeps somewhere right near my house - around 10 pm almost every night he lets off the signal (GASP!) that he's on the prowl.  Ugh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Me, too, PG.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Empire-In-Ashes. Show Empire-In-Ashes's posts

I am writing on this post on behalf of the cute Raccoons. We think the scary fighting ones give us a bad rap.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PowderGirl. Show PowderGirl's posts

It doesn't help that they look like creepy little robbers and can hobble on just their hind legs, too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

It doesn't help that they look like creepy little robbers and can hobble on just their hind legs, too.
    Posted by PowderGirl

Sounds like my HS g/f!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

I used to have a stuffed racoon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

My dog came face to face with raccoon a couple days ago... she was about 1/2 the size and realized quickly that he wasn't interested in 'playing'.

I feel there's a sudden insurgence of them in the city, and they've been tearing up our trash worse than the bottle-stealers (you know who you are, leave my recycling alone).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

If water is available, raccoons will wash their food before they eat it.

True story.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

[QUOTE]If water is available, raccoons will wash their food before they eat it. True story.
    Posted by Schlippo[/QUOTE

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72. Show a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72's posts

My dog came face to face with raccoon a couple days ago... she was about 1/2 the size and realized quickly that he wasn't interested in 'playing'. I feel there's a sudden insurgence of them in the city, and they've been tearing up our trash worse than the bottle-stealers (you know who you are, leave my recycling alone).
    Posted by naturalginger

Gin - one way to avoid the mess and noise from people who are looking for returnable bottles and cans is to leave the empties in the container next to recycling bin.  It saves on mess and noise and *I* think it helps with the dignity of the folks that are at least industrious enough to make the rounds and do the work to claim the refund.  I don't know what happened in their lives that they have to do this, but it's not really stealing if someone else is throwing it away - and at least they can say that they came by the money honestly.

But if we start to see raccoons in line to return some bottles and cans, how long before they'll be moderating online boards because they work cheaper...and you know...they're scarier than Canadians?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72. Show a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72's posts

In Response to Re: Thursday, 11/10 - When Raccoons Attack :
    If water is available, raccoons will wash their food before they eat it. True story. Posted by Schlippo[/QUOTE ______________________________________________________ And this makes them better? lol!
    Posted by JTB8773

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you ever been in a Denny's in Tennessee? 

It does make them better!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

In Response to Re: Thursday, 11/10 - When Raccoons Attack : ------------------------------------------------------------------ Have you ever been in a Denny's in Tennessee?  It does make them better!
    Posted by TubThumper

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

So, Tub, do *you* go around snagging returnables from recycling bins? ;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72. Show a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72's posts

So, Tub, do *you* go around snagging returnables from recycling bins? ;)
    Posted by TwoCentDonation

Not yet.  Check back in a couple of months.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hsmbs. Show hsmbs's posts

My true Mr. Magoo-like story:  Living in Reading after college with roommates - nice, very elderly couple next door to our house.  One day the wife approaches me in the driveway with a box.  She says she found these two adorable Siamese kittens in her yard and although she's been taking care of them for a few days, her husband doesn't want her to keep them.  He hates cats.  Of course when she opens the box to show me two baby raccoons jump up and scare the bejesus out of me.  They were cute alright, but luckily they scampered away.  Babies or not, they had pretty big sharp claws! 

Sections
Shortcuts