To: BDCMod1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

To: BDCMod1

I'm sure you guys have very little pull with Pluck/Demand Media, but I'm going to bet my salary that they haven't patched all of their servers yet with the correct DST patches to account for the extra week or so on each side of DST.  Maybe some of them got patched correctly, but I'm sure all of our posts are not hitting the same content cache servers.

That might be some useful troubleshooting info to pass up to them.  I'd be curious to know if this happened in March where the posts were an hour ahead.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Re: To: BDCMod1

I changed my time zone to see on my system to whatever -4 from GMT is.  Atlantic?  We'll see if that helps.

edit:  NOPE!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

how does one get patched? just curiously interested in knowing.....

wink wink

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

Ask pierce how to get patched.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

DST isn't until 11/6 this year, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

In Response to To: BDCMod1:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure you guys have very little pull with Pluck/Demand Media, but I'm going to bet my salary that they haven't patched all of their servers yet with the correct DST patches to account for the extra week or so on each side of DST.
    Posted by Porkchop-[/QUOTE]

Good call, Porkchop.  And, if true, shame on Pluck/Demand Media for taking too long to apply those patches.  They changed the DST dates, what, 3 years ago?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

BDC Dottie told the women in Confidential Chat yesterday that she sent a repair ticket to the company, with some examples of the screw-ups.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMod1. Show BDCMod1's posts

Thanks, Porkchop- -- I am not the liaison to Pluck. I advised BDCDottie of the problem as soon as readers mentioned it me, and she apparently took the next step -- as RDG indicated. If it's on their end, they will fix it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnny1963. Show johnny1963's posts

Google Chrome seemed the only fix for me

Other wise I am posting in the past

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMod1. Show BDCMod1's posts

I'm not a techie, so maybe I shouldn't get into this, but just looking at it logically: If the comment clock is wrong at Pluck, why wouldn't the time stamp be wrong in all browsers? And why would later comments sometimes go ahead of earlier comments -- wouldn't they all just be stamped an hour earlier and publish in the order received?

Could you explain this, Porkchop-?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

jsut who is this BDCDOTTIE chickie? and how does she have all the ins around here?
    i think i want her job

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I'll do my best.

There are services called Content Delivery Networks (CDN) which essentially lighten the load on servers at a company's main data center, or periphery data center, or wherever their data is housed.   It lightens the load by keeping a copy of data on various servers spread geographically across the topology of the CDN.  Essentially a glorified cache.  An example of a company that provides such a service would be Cambridge's own Akemai Technologies, or Level3, and many others.

Why I think some posts are coming through with the right timestamp and why some aren't:

It looks like the CDN for Boston.com is coveritlive.com (or it's using CoverItLive's CDN, if it isn't a CDN itself).  Demand Media bought CoverItLive in March.  

I would bet an entire year's salary that CoverItLive is a small operation that didn't keep up with their patching, so when DemandMedia inherited and absorbed CoverItLive's infrastructure, it included servers that weren't patched, while utilizing Demand Media's original servers for CDN, which are likey patched.  Hopefully.  Or it could easily be the other way around.  Or it could just be terrible patching procedures overall.  Either way, based on everyone's geography, they may hit a different CDN node - that's why when people post from their iPhone it may show up fine while on their computer it may not.  

This is all my speculation, mind you.  But it is a pretty damn good explanation if I may say so myself.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Also BDCMod, apologies for the assumption -- I wasn't implying that you were the one to fix this stuff, but I thought if anyone could get this to the proper channels, it would be you simply because I don't know of any other mod.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I have to wait an hour to be in context.  I feel like Redwolf.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

BDCMod - read all of Chops post and you might find your answer:

"Maybe some of them got patched correctly, but I'm sure all of our posts are not hitting the same content cache servers."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaptainfriday. Show kaptainfriday's posts

I thought it was all a conspiracy to make us be nice?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

I think I did, but it's lost in the ether somewhere on page 2 of today's letter.

But in any case, what BDCMod1 said - not his fault, or Meredith's or even our Canucklehead mod friends.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

On the subject of our Canadian friends, I'd love to see the mods start a bit where they release the most hilarious abuse report comments at least once a month.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Oh, I thought I was just anticipating your questions.... silly, silly me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Isn't BDCdottie one of the people that got her bloomers in a bunch when the lovelies started posting in HER forums? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

Of course, my last post was actually posted before Porkchop's brilliant and comprehensive explanation, but he's working an hour in the past.