Update for MikeG

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Update for MikeG

I went to the link you provided:

http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10523889.html?tag=rb_content;contentMain

I ended up dowloading AVG (such a wonderfully rich menu on your link!), temporary (30-trial) and took the toolbar offered, too. I hope this is the right place - the logo is a yellow/blue/red/green flag, and its homepage has two little aliens in those colors.

Over the weekend, I'll get Spybot Search & Destroy.

In 29 days. I'll pay the $59.99 the AVG yearly subscription.

I like that in the AVG search engine, AVG tells you which sites are verified.

There was no special reason I chose AVG over any of the others you also recommended. They all seem awesome. You've been great. I feel I can do my work now and not panic about Win 7. (I'll still be careful about what sites I go to, in any event. A hard lesson learned.)

Thanks so much for your help. Someday I'll make it up to you and Mrs. MikeG.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Re: Update for MikeG

I think this open software culture is really cool. The men and women out there really seem committed to helping others access inexpensive or no cost software - our MikeG included.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

CHC - I didn't see anything like that in cnet's review of AVG -

"AVG Free has made the threat detection engines in the free version identical to its premium-upgrade siblings. This means that AVG Free users won't have to worry about getting a lesser standard of basic security"

"The paid upgrade version of AVG Anti-Virus 2011 distinguishes itself by offering chat link shield, a download scan for files sent via instant message that looks at all ports, not just port 80, and telephone support 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

FYI

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I'm getting a real good education here. Thank you, Mike, wizen, CHC.

I've noticed the laptop is uploading pages more quickly than with having nothing but Microsoft Security Essentials (which I didn't try to remove). I liked avast! when I had it, too, and if I can ever find an o/s for my old PC, will try Mike's suggestion for malaware.

I had a lot of fun exploring the cnet site Mike posted. Lots of good stuff in there to read.

I am truly grateful to all of you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

I tried AVG and didn't like it, though I don't remember why.  I've been using Avast for a while and I think it's great.  And totally free.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

avast! (correct spelling) doesn't give you those little check marks on the search engine pages to let you know a site is probably safe. But I did like it, and I like AVG, as well.

I didn't renew avast! and that's when I received the Win 7 virus. Then the borrowed laptop didn't have anything but Microsoft Security Essentials, and the Win 7 came in again.