what's YOUR New Year's Resolution??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

Re: what's YOUR New Year's Resolution??

So everyone, more than a week into the new year and working towards your goals, how are you all doing?

I've gotten one step closer towards my goal of getting in to a size 8 by buying my first pair of size 9 jeans since high school. I believe it's important to celebrate these mini victories, because it keeps you motivated and on track.

Also, I officially signed up for the half marathon I have chosen to run -- I figure dishing out a big chunk of change will keep me more motivated to follow through with the race.

I have not been able to run like I've hoped because I have a lingering chest cold that makes running very difficult, and that upsets me. Dealing with adversity in a positive way, though, is a good lesson. I'm learning to replace my running with other activities so that I am still exercising and not feeling sorry for myself, and I went on one incredibly slow, fairly short run just to make sure my muscles stayed used to running. I think this is a huge part of keeping on track towards your goals -- when something gets in your way, instead of feeling sorry for yourself and falling completely off the wagon, you work around it or you start again and just keep on going.

Also, I did Zumba for the first time last night. I did a 50 minute work out in the privacy of my apartment using my roomie's DVD. Since I will be starting the actual classes next week, and one of the big things that has stopped me from taking classes in the past is fear of being embarassed in front of people who know what they are doing, I thought this was a good step. Anyway, I loved it - it was fun and sweaty, and I kept my heart rate up for 45 minutes, but I could pause it to have a coughing fit or get water, or whatever other concessions I need to make while dealing with this cold, which works for me...

Anyway, I hope you are all on the right track!! Good luck!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

In Response to Re: what's YOUR New Year's Resolution??:
    [QUOTE]Continue going to the gym 2-3 x/week and losing weight.  Got a few more pounds to go.  Buy new bed - check! Finish painting guest bathroom.  Refi the house and pump the savings into a trip back to Italy and maybe Germany. Continue to convince my mom to get rid of more of her stuff before she ends up on Hoarders.  Enjoy being single before some man ruins it. 
    Posted by wizen[/QUOTE]

Gym - not up to 3x/week yet, but still going. 
    New bed - check!  It's awesome!
    Refinancing - preapproved, appraisal done, need to finish app and submit. 
    Guest bath - ummm no progress
    Momhoarder - started!
    Still single and still ok. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

Icyhot... I'm so proud of you!  You really do look amazing.  

I think I am going to my first public Zumba class Thurday night... I've done it at home on my Wii a few times and I'm fairly confident I won't thoroughly embarrass myself.  

But as of Monday, I lost 3.5 lbs since January 2!  Yay me!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletch Lives. Show Fletch Lives's posts

I've been doing great.  I haven't met anyone so far.  Yay me!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

Wizen! Way to check things off the list and keep on going. The more you go to the gym, the more you'll want to go to the gym, so keep up the good work! And here's to being single and loving it!

AJ, 3.5 in a week is fantastic! We should take our Zumba moves out to the dance floor some time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

I'm considering my first Zumba class tonight. I've never done it, never tried it in the privacy of my own home, and I was voted "Most Likely To Fall Down" in high school (true, sad story).

I may chicken out. We'll see. I hear it's a blast though and the treadmill makes my soul weep.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

natgin:  hear it's a blast though and the treadmill makes my soul weep.

Amen to that!! That's why I'm trying new things in the summer. Let me know how it goes if you do attend! 

For my other resolution of trying one new recipe a month, and making it a healthy one, this is what I am trying this month: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-chiarello/moms-stuffed-eggplant-recipe/index.html

To make it healthy, I am decreasing the amount of oil, and I am using chicken sausage instead of ground beef (taking it out of the casing and using it like a ground meat). I will also be using wheat bread crumbs, and low fat mozzarella and parmesan cheeses instead of the full fat pecorino. Will let you all know how it comes out! I am thinking of attemting a side of zucchini pasta with sauce as well....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

ItalianIce - I use ground turkey a lot - it's especially good in sauces and chilis

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

ground turkey is pretty awesome, wizen! my roommate uses it when she makes us lasagna, and I have a really awesome meat loaf recipe that uses it as well..
    no updates on how the eggplant went last night, as I bought everything but the frig gin eggplant... I plan to attempt this again tonight!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DancesWithWolves. Show DancesWithWolves's posts

To never read or post again on B.COM and I've already broke that resolution.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

UPDATES, week 3!

Eggplant was delicious, and I completed my first 5 mile run last week.

This week, however, I am struggling. Running is not coming naturally to me, and I feel fat and gross. Trying to get myself to work out and eat healthy through this pity-party week is tough, but I know I will feel better if I do it, so I am doing it anyway.
    Going to my first actual Zumba class today- fingers crossed I don't embarass myself horribly.

How are YOU all doing with your resolutions?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

II84, if you hate running, you hate it - it's not a failure, just try other things until you find something you like better.  And, as far as embarrassing yourself in a class goes, remember, no one is focusing on you, they are too busy thinking about how THEY look in the mirror.  Go for it and enjoy yourself no matter how you perceive that you do; no one else is noticing.  If you stick with it even after a less than perfect first go, you'll only improve and enjoy it even more each time.  Compete with yourself - you're the only one watching yourself, anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from porkshop-a-go-go. Show porkshop-a-go-go's posts

Mrs. chops did Zumba for a long time last year, and she felt the same way you did.  But, she kept going and eventually she said she got really good at it and felt great - and she herself realized that she didn't even have the time to look at anyone else in the class because she was so concentrated on keeping up.

Good luck!

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

kargiver, I seem to have a love/hate relationship with running. Two weeks ago, I ran five miles and it was easy and I loved every sweaty, exhilerating minute. Last week, I had to force myself to run 4 miles. Some weeks I have it, some weeks I don't. I think I just need to keep at it, because it's been doing great things for my body and for my mind, even on the days I struggle.

I actually really enjoyed the Zumba class, though I did not feel like I got as much of a workout as I would have liked when I did it last week. I think that was because I didn't know the routine at all and I was busy learning and thinking and not going hard at the moves. I think with time and repetition, it could become a great workout. I've found myself going harder at the Zumba DVD I do at home now that I've done it 3 times because I know the moves. Most importantly, it makes me happy when I do it, so that alone is worth it.
    I've come to discover a work out is what you make of it. It is certainly better to work out a little than not work out at all, but it's all about the intensity you give each movement.

I've started collecting healthy recipes from friends and online to help me with both my resolutions to lose weight and to cook new things. If anyone would like to share a healthy recipe that love, please do! this week, I plan to try homemade chinese food with a healthy spin. I have recipes for sesame chicken, beef stir fry, and veggie fried rice, and I am hoping this will help with the craving I currently have to order as much chinese takeout as I can get my hands on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletch Lives. Show Fletch Lives's posts

Am I the only one still keeping up with my resolution?  You guys are a bunch of slackers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from porkshop-a-go-go. Show porkshop-a-go-go's posts

I resolved to be a complete and utter dick.  So far so good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletch Lives. Show Fletch Lives's posts

Not fair!  That's the same one you had last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from porkshop-a-go-go. Show porkshop-a-go-go's posts

It never, ever disappoints.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletch Lives. Show Fletch Lives's posts

That was silly, Supes - you've just set up one of us to fail.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Italian, I have a hate-hate relationship with running, lol.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

me too, kargiver, me too. But it's helped me drop the pounds like nothing else, and when I am having a good running day, there's nothing like it.... then again, when my body fights me for every step, it is absolutely miserable.