Yesterday's Letter (Education)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education)

To me, the filter is for setting goals and actually working on them.  That might or might not be college for some people.  That's why I have education listed as "nice to have" but not necessary.  I'd rather spend my time with a HS grad who's well-read or well-traveled and took the time to educate themselves in areas of interests, than someone who sailed through an elite college as a legacy and has nothing to talk about but how impressive they and Daddy are.  

I have my "filters" both online and off set very broadly.  I'm very interested in people in general, and I love talking to them and learning from them.  If you set your filters too tightly, you miss out on a lot of awesome people! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Loud-Mouthed-Broad. Show Loud-Mouthed-Broad's posts

In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education):
    [QUOTE]It sounds to me like CHC is rejecting/eliminating guys as a defense mechanism so she doesn't get rejected by them.
    Posted by CharmingSean[/QUOTE]

Ah Sean.  Feel free to call me three kinds of crazy if you want.

Rejection suctions.  I'll grant you that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I heartily agree with you TwoCent. I didn't drink or party at all until I turned 21 which was very late in my junior year, and even then, partying was only a small part of my life in college. For me the most meaningful parts of college in addition to the fantastic friends I made, friends who flew from halfway around the country and got law school exams postponed the fall after we graduated to attend my father's funeral, was about the communities I became a part of through the various clubs I joined. I think that's what I miss most about college, the community aspect. While there are certainly comparable things outside of it, there's something about the campus bubble that makes them special.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Rejection is nothing
    But rejection from a fool is cruel

- Morrissey

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

No problem, two-sheds.  As I had noted in my original post - based on *my* experience, the Ph.D.'s I've dealt with seem to lack real-world common sense.  As you said - we go with what we know.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Loud-Mouthed-Broad. Show Loud-Mouthed-Broad's posts

I'm laughing at Bzorn's 'four years of no responsibility' comment.

I can count on one hand the number of people I knew in college that fell into that category.  I did know a LOT of people who didn't go to college who lived at home with Mom and Dad and spent all of their money on booze and fancy cars, though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Loud-Mouthed-Broad. Show Loud-Mouthed-Broad's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education) : It sounds to me like Sean picks on women as a defense mechanism so he won't get rejected by them.
    Posted by Sally-[/QUOTE]

If we extrapolate from that logic, Angry Poster is hot for Hippies

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education) : If we extrapolate from that logic, Angry Poster is hot for Hippies
    Posted by Loud-Mouthed-Broad[/QUOTE]

ANGRY POSTER DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH!!!

;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bellavita29. Show bellavita29's posts

I'll say it again, if my man were on Match, my filters would have left him out of my possibles. 

He never finished his bachelor's degree.  Life got in the way.  He's intelligent and educated.  He just doesn't have the paper.

As a matter of fact, until 4 years ago, I hadn't finished my own bachelor's degree, though I had more college credits (in varying areas) than most with a master's.  I'm working on my master's thesis now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StormyMonsoon. Show StormyMonsoon's posts

I used online dating sites. I never used education as a filter.  Several of my friends haven't gone to college.  Several women that I dated (including one that I really fell hard for) never went to college. Several women that I wanted to date never went to college. 

They still had to be clever, witty, accomplished (in their own way) individuals. Whether they went to college or not was never an apparent issue to me (I have a bachelors and a doctorate if that's pertinent to the converstation).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarketSurfer. Show MarketSurfer's posts

I used an online dating site, MdotCOM and found my wife to be on the site.  Yes i used a filter of education as a way to say that I want someone who has a similar background as I have.  However, most of the people these days have degrees of one kind or another.  At the end of the day, the education wasn't one of the reasons why i found the love of my life.

Well traveled was one, between the two of us, there is only one continent which we haven't been on, Antartica.  And the desire to continue to travel as well as being adventurous to try anything relatively safe, and do everything we can together is the best.

But it gret that everyone here has a personal and different reason, which makes the reading so great. . .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaptainfriday. Show kaptainfriday's posts

I'm a high school dropout.  I gotta be honest, I think I prefer dating women with college educations. I wouldn't use it as a filter or a deal breaker, though. But, I think it's understandable why someone would. I don't agree with the sensibility of it, but, I retract my comment implying that someone is a jerk if they do. People are certainly entitled to their personal preferences.

Who wants a hug?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaptainfriday. Show kaptainfriday's posts

Deal breaker is harsh. I would hope that no one with a decent grasp of their faculties would deny themselves a life of love over the fact that their lover doesn't have a college education.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaptainfriday. Show kaptainfriday's posts

There ARE guys who have a high enough self esteem to 'date up' - but they are few and far between.

Smart chicks are HOT.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Loud-Mouthed-Broad. Show Loud-Mouthed-Broad's posts

[QUOTE] There ARE guys who have a high enough self esteem to 'date up' - but they are few and far between. Smart chicks are HOT.
    Posted by kaptainfriday[/QUOTE]

And this is why I love you. (In a purely platonic, won't get Kapowed kind of way)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I don't care about the degree. But he can't smoke. And he must be well-read.

Also, he has to know how to fix things. I can't abide a man who doesn't know how to re-glaze a window.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

So, for the folks here who didn't attend college:

What was your reason for not doing so?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

I awkwardly stumbled my way through high school.  My parents were pushing me to go to college, so I chose a major I was not fully invested in.

I worked that summer, made a ton of money, went to orientation and realized I didn't fit in whatsoever with anyone there.  I ditched the college plan under the guise of "taking a year off", moved out of the house, and learned how to make it on my own.

Eventually I went to a tech school to augment what I knew how to do, and am in year 10 of that career path.  I'm happy with my choices, and myself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WickedMcCool. Show WickedMcCool's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Yesterday's Letter (Education) : No, a lack of those checkmarks wouldn't be a dealbreaker.  In fact, if someone listed that they were a Ph.D., I'd be less inclined to click-through and see if there was any there-there.  Based on my experience, those with multiple heavy-duty degrees tend to be less down-to-earth, have less common sense, less my type of sense of humor.  I'm not broad-brushing EVERYONE with Ph.D.'s here - I'm just saying based on those people that I've met, they wouldn't be someone I'd be interested in dating if that opportunity had presented itself.
    Posted by LWhitt58[/QUOTE]

Iagree with Whitty on this one.  I'd a thousand times rather date someone with street smarts, common sense, and a great wit and sense of humor rather than someone with a PhD.  And, as with Whitty, my experience is that it's extremely rare for someone to have the first three and a PhD.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaptainfriday. Show kaptainfriday's posts

I love you, too, you. Loud Mouth. Much love.

RDG, I love you, too. It was a practical impossibility for me. I've thrown myself into "a hard days work, equals an honest days pay" ever since.

Regrets?

What's the use?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaptainfriday. Show kaptainfriday's posts

I'm happy with my choices, and myself.

Totally this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I wish I'd done a gap year.

I wish I'd decided to live in NYC.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WickedMcCool. Show WickedMcCool's posts

I was lucky enough to go to college.  Many of my friends weren't.  It did broaden my horizon in terms of people different from me AND it definitely got me a better job than I'd have otherwise.  But it does not make me a better person than someone who, for whatever reason, didn't go to college. 

Who are we to make judgement on any one for any reason?  We are all different.  We all deserve respect.

Sorry, MrCorvin, I've strayed away from your original question, which was as it relates to dating.  IMO, it makes no difference.

Sections
Shortcuts