Yesterday's Letter (Education)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Loud-Mouthed-Broad. Show Loud-Mouthed-Broad's posts

Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education)

In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education):
    [QUOTE]B3--in LMB's defense, I do not think that she presented that statement as "I believe when you are smart..." She presented it in the context of Lily having chided her for saying things like "I have a conference call with China", instead of saying "I have some work to do now"--or something like that.  And also in the context of having been involved in some form of conversation with someone that was apparently pushing an area of personal expertise on her. For example, if an auto mechanic cornered me at a social gathering and started peppering me with questions about what I knew about catalytic converters, or ABS systems, it would make me uncomfortable--he would be the "smart" one on that topic, and I would be feeling "dumb" for knowing nothing and feeling pressed to reveal how little I knew.  As an adult, I can extricate myself from that situation, but should he know better than to do that to someone, just to show off his knowledge?  Perhaps he should tone it down a bit to make the conversation more comfortable? I think that's what LMB is really getting at.
    Posted by cb156[/QUOTE]

Actually, what I was getting at (via a story where I had done the same thing to someone else) was that this whole line of conversation feels bad and damages relationships. 

In the story that I told, it was MY insecurities that were the problem.  I could have freely said 'hey I don't know anything about Post Punk Pop, but let's meet for coffee and you can tell me all about it'.   Instead I blog slapped him:  I told him not to give tests and that dating is about mutuality.  He learned his lesson - but also walked away from his blog as a result.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

not for nuttin, if i didnt go to college, i wouldnt have met CG, so, all my parents hard work and my studying paid off ten fold, IMO. hehehehehehe
    this is a silly post of course.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education) :   I could have freely said 'hey I don't know anything about Post Punk Pop, but let's meet for coffee and you can tell me all about it'.   Instead I blog slapped him:  I told him not to give tests and that dating is about mutuality.  He learned his lesson - but also walked away from his blog as a result.
    Posted by Loud-Mouthed-Broad[/QUOTE]

This is a serious question:  so what exactly did you learn from that?  When you're reflecting back on this moment, how does it make you feel?

edit:  I see that you said you felt bad about the conversation, but I'm just curious what the lesson is there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education) : Yep - it all makes sense... that's why I'm marrying a super hot guy lol But really, you are right and I've found this often, we mate with people similar to ourselves.
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL[/QUOTE]

Halloo there Jazzy!  Having had dinner with Jazzy and the soon-to-be Mr. Jazzy I can attest to the man's hotness.  Hot damn he's smoking!  And incredibly nice.  You're a lucky woman Jazzy!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

[QUOTE] In the story that I told, it was MY insecurities that were the problem.  I could have freely said 'hey I don't know anything about Post Punk Pop, but let's meet for coffee and you can tell me all about it'.   Instead I blog slapped him:  I told him not to give tests and that dating is about mutuality.  He learned his lesson - but also walked away from his blog as a result.
    Posted by Loud-Mouthed-Broad[/QUOTE]

Guiltly I have done this myself... I wouldn't go to certain events with my ex because I thought the other chics would outshine me, be smarter than me, funnier, etc etc... and so I'd make him feel bad about it and accuse him of leaving me out and not doing things that I could be a part of. haha.

Wow, is hindsight, maturity, age, perspective, etc etc..so much better. As awful as he was to me- I was just as bad. I let my insecurity for not being on his level, and those of his coworkers, weigh the relationship down. Little did I realize, I was on his level, I jsut didn't allow myself to be.

I think we've all experienced some of this

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education) : Halloo there Jazzy!  Having had dinner with Jazzy and the soon-to-be Mr. Jazzy I can attest to the man's hotness.  Hot damn he's smoking!  And incredibly nice.  You're a lucky woman Jazzy!
    Posted by TheRealJBar[/QUOTE]

ahahah awww thanks... :)

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

I'm lost - is CHC - LMB ??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb156. Show cb156's posts

[QUOTE]I still defend LMB's (and others) right to filter online dating by education.  And that's what this conversation was about.
    Posted by Lily-[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I can't see that any criteria used to select another person as a potential date or mate is any more or less legitimate than any other.

Heck, I've only ever been interested in women.  Does that mean I'm being unfair to all the men out there?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGal109. Show BostonGal109's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education) : BG, you know I was joking with this statement right? Considering my belle has a PhD and is the most charming and fun person to talk to ever.  Sarcasm pick-up = fail.
    Posted by SmashAtoms[/QUOTE]

But I think people really do think this and were saying similar things fo' serious yesterday (not you my dear).

and yes- sometimes I do not pick up on saracasm :) I think especially on here because a lot of times I think someone MUST be being sarcastic... then they aren't.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

TwoCent - no to the bug spray.

Jazzy - yes to the CHC-LMB

Sean - you may have to change your screen name today. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGal109. Show BostonGal109's posts

::::: virtual high five! :::::::

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb156. Show cb156's posts

[QUOTE]You know what I think this whole thread is just an excuse for everyone to either a) state for the record how smart and awesome they are by saying what degrees they hold or b) make up excuses for why they didn't get a degree in college, yet still how smart and awesome they are. Call me insensitive, but I think who you are depends on who you want to be.  Do what makes you happy, play the hand you've been dealt, or stack the deck in your favor.  But don't whine that the world loves or hates you.  Just be, and know that most people will except you for who you are.  Those that don't are just a bunch of cocklunches.

For the record, I have done neither a nor b here. I guess I'm the exception to the rule.  The irony of me being excepted from a rule.
    And when did you change your name to insensitive?

Oh, and don't quiz me about horses.  I know next to nothing on that subject, you might make me uncomfortable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

my motto that i've used many a times is " i am whom i am, what you see is what you get, if you dont like it move on"
    dat be me.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, and don't quiz me about horses.  I know next to nothing on that subject, you might make me uncomfortable.
    Posted by cb156[/QUOTE]

Horses don't exist in my culture.

Oh, I'm sorry, were the adults talking?  I'll back away now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb156. Show cb156's posts

[QUOTE]That was meant as a "chill out and don't take it everything so personally" post, CB.  Look at my horse, my horse is amazing...

Smashy, that was me being sarcastic.  So, you aren't the only one to fail at that today.

Hey, guess we have some mutuality.  You busy Friday night?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

for the record - my REASONS for not going to school, are reasons.. not excuses...  thanks.. I'm still awesome though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

and there's nothing sarcastic about my post above...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education) :Oh, and don't quiz me about horses.  I know next to nothing on that subject, you might make me uncomfortable.
    Posted by cb156[/QUOTE]

Contrary to popular belief, the face is in the front.  Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb156. Show cb156's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yesterday's Letter (Education) : Contrary to popular belief, the face is in the front. 
    Posted by wizen[/QUOTE]

Good to know, but then again, I don't think I've ever referred to a horse's face.

Um, there isn't going to be a quiz later, is there?