1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Changes to forums and article comments

As you can see, we’ve launched new discussion forums, article comments, and personal profiles on the site. We’ve always relied on software from other companies to power our user tools.  But during the past few months, we’ve built our own – we think this will give us more flexibility and control over these features.

Here in the forums, we had to delay the implementation of some of the features that you like: The gold star that brings you to the first unread comment, Ignore this user, spell check, add an image, and some others. We have a working list of items to restore in the coming days and weeks.

Here’s a fuller explainer here: http://www.boston.com/community/note_to_bostoncom_users/

Please leave a comment on this string of any features that are missing that I didn’t mention in the note linked above, or if you’re having any technical issues.

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Re: Changes to forums and article comments

Hi - I've tried twice to comment on today's Love Letters blog after the comment box was restored.  I see the comment box, and I can write in the comment box, but when I click the Submit button I get sent back to the boston.com home page.  And, my comment doesn't get posted.

I'm using IE 8 on Win XP.  And, no, I cannot download any other browser at work.

Btw, I had to substitute "click" for a three letter word beginning with the letter before I in the alphabet and ending in IT because it's a banned word.  Thank you for telling me what the offensive word is, but your banned words list is getting ridiculous.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from InternetGirl. Show InternetGirl's posts

I know you'll get everything going, but the edit button is highest on my list. Thank you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from InternetGirl. Show InternetGirl's posts

Alos the delete post button. Thank you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from InternetGirl. Show InternetGirl's posts

My last post needed an edit. Tt should be Also not Alos.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from InternetGirl. Show InternetGirl's posts

I give up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canim. Show canim's posts

No issues with auto-correct for me!  Love the new forums!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I had to remove a word from my post on the Red Sox forum , three times.

BDC is telling me that a word cannot be used.

It is hard to discuss baseball without being able to use this nonoffensive , totally relevent word.

Maybe something in the software is a bit too sensitive? I had written a post on the Music forum two days earlier and was told by a pop-up window that I had used a "banned" word. I reread it carefully and nothing was vulger or racial , all seemed fine. I had to finally give up and delete the whole post.

Hopefully just a temporary thing. Just wanted to let you know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to canim's comment:
    [QUOTE]No issues with auto-correct for me!  Love the new forums!!
    [/QUOTE]

Love the new forums?

Did somebody pay you to say that?

Either that, or youre insane

What is wrong with you?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I had to remove a word from my post on the Red Sox forum , three times.

BDC is telling me that a word cannot be used.

It is hard to discuss baseball without being able to use this nonoffensive , totally relevent word.

Maybe something in the software is a bit too sensitive? I had written a post on the Music forum two days earlier and was told by a pop-up window that I had used a "banned" word. I reread it carefully and nothing was vulger or racial , all seemed fine. I had to finally give up and delete the whole post.

Hopefully just a temporary thing. Just wanted to let you know.

I know what you mean, we're having the same problem on the Bruins forum. I don't know how you're supposed to talk about hockey without using that word, a synonym for bodycheck.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from irc123. Show irc123's posts

you can use the word hit now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"No issues with auto-correct for me!  Love the new forums!! "

Considering you've only posted five times, we'll take that with a grain of salt. 

My views on fix priorities, (just my view, take it for what it's worth): 

1. option to edit posts

2. option to edit posts

3. option to edit posts

:) 

4. restore "ignore" button

5. strange glitch where if you type a couple paragraphs you can't hit "return" and keep going, you have to now adjust by pulling the scroll bar down (more of a fussy thing but it's distracting when you are typing and on a roll)

Probably more but that's good for now.... :) 

Thx for listening

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DefendOurConstitution. Show DefendOurConstitution's posts

All of my comments appear to be removed and if I try to post a new comment it immediately posts "comment removed."  Does anyone know what is going on?  Have I been banned?  If I have, I woiuld expect some kind of notice/explanation as to why I was banned.  I truly try to be civil, but I know that to some people who disagree with the facts on my posts will tag them as abusive.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

And today I discover that apostrophe ess is banned.

Does this mean that the Globe is pushing for a communist collective where there is no individual ownership since we can no longer indicate any possessives?  And contractions are banned?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Goddunkit, is anyone listening. SHUT DOWN THIS FORUM UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT EVEN IF IT TAKES TWO WEEKS. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Great idea, pitch

One problem though:

They arent gonna get this thing right in two weeks. Trust me on that one

They may never get it right actually

My advice?

If you think it sucks here now, get used to it

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Reply functionality is atrocious...much worse than before.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

TwoCent, we're aware of the issue of some people getting thrown to the homepage when they try to post. Weird. It's on the developers' list. As is the apostrophe ess issue ... we think that's related to the bad words filter malfunctioning. Please don't test it. ;-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Testing the WYSIWYG tools below - bold
    Testing the WYSIWYG tools below - italics
    Testing the WYSIWYG tools below - underline
    Testing the WYSIWYG tools below - strikethrough

• Testing the WYSIWYG tools below - bulleted list

1. Testing the WYSIWYG tools below - numbered list
    2. Testing the WYSIWYG tools below - numbered list
    3. Testing the WYSIWYG tools below - numbered list

Testing the WYSIWYG tools below - Hotlinks

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Thanks, Dottie.  The new format looks messed up on my work PC, but that could be our iffy firewall proxy.  Sometimes it eats stuff in cyberspace, and I haven't had a chance to view things at home where I don't have a firewall proxy AND I can use Chrome.

Also, I had a bit of a rant today on the LL blog about failing to test things... And then someone else mentioned that it may not entirely be IT's fault.. They may have been given an unrealistic deadline.  If that's the case, then I really hope the business managers are learning a valuable lesson from all of this: IT is great and can do many things... IF YOU GIVE THEM ENOUGH TIME AND RESOURCES.  And you should really listen to them when they tell you, "Um, no, we really can't do that by then."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The lack of response on some of these forum threads is starting to get scary. Forget about new features let's just get these forums to work halfway decent again and communicate progress more regularly....we're losing good peeps right and left

Sections
Shortcuts