1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Re: E-Mail Notification

There used to be email notification here. Not anymore I dont think

I cant imagine why anyone would need it though. Unless you are posting in 47 different threads at once, email alert is unnecessary

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

No, Beach, there's no email notification, but we're considering it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

A "modern forum" also has a working search function, polling feature, and delete button

If it is modernity you are looking for, you came to the wrong forum

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Perhaps we will get the missing functions back simply by asking for them?

Yeah, and maybe if I rub two Milky Ways together, theyll turn into gold bars

Doesnt work that way around here, spidey

Youll find out soon enough

I do like your hopelessly naive optimism though

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I actually have come to think that e-mail notifications are more trouble than they are worth. In all the other sites I belong to , I turned off the e-mail notifications. All they did was clog up my inbox.

What would be nice is if they restored the "friends" feature especially in relation to private messages. I don't like putting my profile on "private"...but I also would like to only recieve private messages from people of my choosing.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I actually have come to think that e-mail notifications are more trouble than they are worth. In all the other sites I belong to , I turned off the e-mail notifications. All they did was clog up my inbox.

What would be nice is if they restored the "friends" feature especially in relation to private messages. I don't like putting my profile on "private"...but I also would like to only recieve private messages from people of my choosing.

cricket,

I absolutely agree with you that they should restore the friends feature. Right now you have that one column to bounce from to get to the posters to like to message. I suppose you could copy all their URLs but it just is not needed if they restore that feature.

The private vs. public feature can be split from this feature. In fact it used to be. On private only friends could message you and see your messages.

I do disagree about the email notification. A lot of us have busy in boxes. In the past, when I subscribed to a discussion, I always got a notification that someone had posted a new post to that discussion. This helps from leaving me with a poster thinking I am not responding to a question and also leaves me without having to check the forums constantly.

I do wish they would restore the delete function. Can see do reason not to.

Lastly, now we all have one column of our commentary available. Of course before all our posts were readily available from our home page. If not that, maybe some compromise...say a year?

Do not know of BDC is reading this. Perhaps those of us who want certain functions restored do have to contact them directly. I believe the forums would pick up some if that happened.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hi Andiejen...I guess I feel differently than you.  I don't get involved enough in a lot of online conversations enough that I feel the need to monitor them through e-mail notifications. The discussions I want to stay involved in..I got back to check first whenever I log on anyhow.

The time I have spent participating in these types of online discussion forums have taught me that it's usually not a good idea to become too invested in any conversation or any dynamics between posters for that matter. I've also learned that it's better to limit the number of posts available for viewing. I am okay with only my last 10 or so posts being available for anyone who is remotely interested enough to click on my profile. No one should feel the need to see another's every post.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

Do not know of BDC is reading this. Perhaps those of us who want certain functions restored do have to contact them directly. I believe the forums would pick up some if that happened.

Contact them directly or indirectly, individually or as a group, it doesnt matter

Nothing is ever going to change around here

The board is a wreck, and we are stuck with it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Hi Ache,   they do tend to respond (within 48 hours) if you fill out this form 

http://boston.custhelp.com/app/ask   Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Hi, Robin

They stopped responding to my emails years ago, but even if they still wrote back, you dont think they'd act on my request to restore DELETE, do you? Or SEARCH?

We havent had a useful search function here since May 2008

This place is a mess. Dottie knows it too. Why we tolerate this 2nd rate message board, I have no idea. We really should be demanding more. Not that it will do us any good. The people who could actually do something to effect positive change around here do not GAF

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Well said.

Ache, the vet is on Dan Rea tonight, in case you have any questions about William ;)

Pet Health And Happiness!  As we approach the long, hot days of summer, what should you be doing to keep your pets healthy and happy?  Dr. Jim McKiernan, owner of the Great Bay Animal Hospital and the official NightSide Pet Vet, sits down with Dan to take your calls!  Jump on board with your pet questions or comments and be a part of the show!  Call into Nightside: (617) 254-1030 or Toll Free: (888) 929-1030

8p-12a   The Vet is the second guest scheduled  (9p or 10p)

PS: Sorry, off topic.  I'll step out now. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Thank you, Robin

I do have a question about the "doggie IQ test" that I have been hearing so much about lately

I want to have William tested to verify he is the smartest dog on the planet like I claim him to be

Not that I need verification, but just to satisfy some of the doubters out there, you know?

A picture of William in his youth
    Even at a young age he had an intelligent bearing
    Dont you agree?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Definitely, look at those eyes... so wise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I guess we all have choices to make in life. I have participated and subsequently left a few discussion forums because I didn't like the way they worked or didn't like their features..etc.

I guess I am in the minority. I don't find the little glitches that seem to happen so completely annoying that they warrant complaint. If participating in this site annoyed me to the point where I was posting somewhat hostile comments to the moderators..I guess I'd leave the site. After all..there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

In all the years that I've been posting here..I have sent exactly one e-mail to the support people..and that's when I was having an issue with the password re-set. They responded within 24 hours with a solution. I think that is also very reasonable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

Thank you, Robin

I do have a question about the "doggie IQ test" that I have been hearing so much about lately

I want to have William tested to verify he is the smartest dog on the planet like I claim him to be

Not that I need verification, but just to satisfy some of the doubters out there, you know?

A picture of William in his youth
    Even at a young age he had an intelligent bearing
    Dont you agree?

BTW...too cute...really just adorable. A face like that makes me wish ( somewhat) that I lived a lifestyle for dog ownership.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Folks, all of the items you mentioned -- search, email alerts, friends, etc. -- are on dev's road map, but right now the two developers assigned to UGC (article comments, forums, photos, ratings, reviews, etc.) have been re-assigned to help with a big project with our sister site, the Worcester T&G.

I wish it were as easy as there being a "control panel" where we can turn features on and off! We built our article comments and forums from scratch, and the features you don't see haven't been built yet. But we have restored image upload, spell check, emoticons, etc.

The next major item on the list, which we are going to have contractors work on since our devs are on the Worcester project, is to surface article comments and forum posts in widgets on section fronts. The other items will follow. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to BDCDottie's comment:

Folks, all of the items you mentioned -- search, email alerts, friends, etc. -- are on dev's road map, but right now the two developers assigned to UGC (article comments, forums, photos, ratings, reviews, etc.) have been re-assigned to help with a big project with our sister site, the Worcester T&G.

I wish it were as easy as there being a "control panel" where we can turn features on and off! We built our article comments and forums from scratch, and the features you don't see haven't been built yet. But we have restored image upload, spell check, emoticons, etc.

The next major item on the list, which we are going to have contractors work on since our devs are on the Worcester project, is to surface article comments and forum posts in widgets on section fronts. The other items will follow. 

Hi Dottie..and thanks for the response. I am sure most people appreciate that it is not an easy job and appreciate the hard work you folks do every day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to BDCDottie's comment:

Dottie, no offense, but you said the same thing six months ago, ie, that the "devs" were working on other projects

What are you going to be saying six months from now, I wonder?

Nevermind. I already know

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

BTW...too cute...really just adorable. A face like that makes me wish ( somewhat) that I lived a lifestyle for dog ownership.

Thank you. I am very proud of William. Believe it or not he is even more adorable looking now than he was when that photo was taken (nearly 8 years ago)

If your lifestyle ever allows for dog ownership, I highly recommend a Boston Terrier. Smart, loyal, obedient, friendly, great with kids

I never thought I could accomodate owning a dog either, but now I cant imagine life without William. He's very special

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

Thank you. I am very proud of William. Believe it or not he is even more adorable looking now than he was when that photo was taken (nearly 8 years ago)

If your lifestyle ever allows for dog ownership, I highly recommend a Boston Terrier. Smart, loyal, obedient, friendly, great with kids

I never thought I could accomodate owning a dog either, but now I cant imagine life without William. He's very special

[/QUOTE]

AcheNot,

I agree with cricket. Your William is absolutely adorable.

I had a dog when I was younger. I miniature German shnauzer(sic). The adjectives you applied to William also applied to my Max. I loved Max to death.  Even took him to class in college when he was not feeling well. (Got away from me and got all the way up to my Russian Literature professor once. He was not amused in the slightest.)

I was heartbroken when he died but I would not trade the years I had with him for anything. Been working on my husband...a cat person..to bring a puppy into our home. We are at a stalemate but hope springs eternal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My son actually loves those dogs..as well as bulldogs so I am sure he'd be on board with that.

Hey Ache..by the way..regarding your comment to me in CC about how little Jackbu thinks of me...you can rest assured that what Jackbu thinks of me is of no significance to me. I stopped caring what Jack believed or thought of me some time ago. Besides...like I've said on more than one occasion...I think you and Robin are much better suited to Jack than I ever was :-)

Sections
Shortcuts