1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Forums and comments updates

Okay folks, you've probably noticed that dev has pushed several updates live over the past couple of weeks. Here's what's been done:

> Changed the look of requoted comments from the QUOTE / UNQUOTE to a shaded view.

> Re-introduced the gold stars that take you directly to your last unread post in a thread and briefly highlights that post in gold. The stars disappear as you scroll down a thread reading posts. If you jump to a later page of a thread or the last page, the gold stars on all previous pages will disappear.

> Returned the "Ignore this user" button.

> On your profile page, you now can upload an avatar or use one of ours.

> The links on your Profile page to comments and posts you have made sometimes didn't work; those have been fixed.

Will keep you posted on other improvements as they happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Re: Forums and comments updates

The shaded grey makes everything look better, but the quote system is still screwed up. The only message that should appear in the "in response to" area is the single message being responded to, not the half dozen or so other messages that often accompany it and that make a big mess of things on some particularly active threads. If you dont know what I'm talking about, dot, take a look at some threads in the sports forums. The quotes pile one on top of the other, and it gets real ugly at times. Not to mention it's a pain in the neck (and often confusing) having to wade through them all

Gold star doesnt work. Ive tried it with several browsers now. Useless. Ive given up on it already (EDIT: I take it back. Gold star works well on Firefox)

PS Editing a message that is in response to another message: the shaded grey and italics of the message being responded to disappear post-edit 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Dottie:

This is an example of what I'm talking about. It's from the Patriots forum. Look at this thing. Only the part in bold face at the bottom is the actual message. Everything else (in italics) is the "in response to's". There are ELEVEN of them. Hard to tell sometimes where one ends and another begins. Or which post belongs to what poster. And this is only a single message. There are dozens of others just like it in the same thread (and in other threads). One after another after another after another

It is a real mess, dot. The quote system is not fixed

But please take a look at this big, ugly stack. Tell me it doesnt give you a headache:

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Wilkerson the second best defensive tackle in the NFL? How could this be? Rusty said he was a bust, 11 seconds after the Jets drafted him. Then again, he said that McCourty was better than Revis.

Can we assume Rusty will now claim that ProFootballFocus is biased?

PFF also said that McCourty was a pro bowler at his position toolbag: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/19/pro-bowl-roster-2012-afc/2/

I thought you said he was a bust and BB was going to cut him. LMAO @ U. Enjoy another losing season with Sanchez at QB.

Wilkerson is ok but he was a 1st rd pick. The guy really doesn't make any plays, he just collects tackles like David Harris.

No sacks, no forced fumbles, etc.

Leave it to the Jets fans to think that steady play is what they needed in such a dire position for young, impact players.

It's just because Sanchez and Kyle Wilson are busts in the 1st rd that they overrate Wilkerson. Like clockwork.

Hey I had a discussion with you regarding Wilson two months ago - I said he was a good player - you said he was a bust. You remember, right? Remembering should be easy with a photographic memory and all. LOL!

Learn the game...watch it...don't just google stuff! Try it, you'll feel better:)

Oh and you're welcome.

What? Wilson is a bust. Go ask their own fans. He's an average nickel and does these dances after being beaten on plays left and right. I've posted numerous threads here about their own opinions of him.

He stinks. 1st rd pick, deepest draft in 25 years. I'd be ticked if my pick didn't start or start and contribute after 3 years.

Let me get this right.Your entire premise of Wilson being a bust is that he was drafted in the first round as a CB and has played on a top 10 pass D each year in the league, including 2012 when Revis, the NFLs best CB, was out for the year.

And in the same breath you are defending McCourty, who was drafter earlier in the round, who had a solid rookie season on a horrible pass defense, had an awful sophomore season on a horrible pass defense was then moved to safety (a first round safety? Who does that? That screams bust right there) and once again, the pass defense was horrible.And Wilson is the bust?God, you’re an idiot.

Eugene Wilson was moved from CB to Safety and he played well. Who cares where the player plays?

Troy Brown played nickel in 2004 and NE won a SB.

You'll never see a SB in your life. You apparently only care about getting attention so you can feel good hopefully not playing second fiddle to the Giants.

It drives you beserk that the Boston based NFL team is so vastly superior and that even drafting a CB 2 or 3 picks later in the same draft, you have far less to show for it.

We get it.

Kyle Wilson STINKS. I know it, you know it, your fellow fans know it. Kyle Arrington is a superior player to that of Wilson and BB didn't use a 1st rd pick on him.

Case closed.

Deal with it. The guy blows and your new, crappy GM will not resign him.

Cap:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=76483

Wilson:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=75216

So, the Patriots have better corners and safeties, but their pass D still blows while the Jets is top 10 without the best corner in the NFL? Is BB that awful of a defensive coach these days?

I wonder if the'll cut him in his rookie contract like all those high round picks BB admitted were busts. I suppose they could just move Wilson to safety first. That's admitting the same thing when you spend a first round pick on a corner and realize he can't play man 3 years later.

I have no idea how you think you can still come on here with this rhetoric. Yards allowed in the air is not the representative of a D.

NE has absolutely dominated in the areas of sacks, fumbles and INTs over the supposed vaunted SB bound and legendary Rex Ryan D, while allowing less points again, for another year.

NE's D is trending up while yours is about to be absolutely awful. That new GM will send Revis or Cromartie on their way, Wilson will blow as a starter for 16 games, and that will be it.

No team fears that crappy D of yours.

It's priceless to watch you praise that crappy D the last couple of years and now act whatever you have in 2013 is better than the one you praised. How about just getting to a local college?

So what you're saying is that passing yards allowed or passing TDs aloowed or number of passes allowed over say 20 or 30 yards or opposing QBs passer rating are not acceptable ways of measuring a pass D's quality? Only turnovers?

No, what I am saying is you're still a dolt. Enjoy!

Oh looks likes rusty's big retort to being made a complete fool of is to call me a dolt. I think most would agree that claiming that sacks is a better metric of a pass D's effectiveness than say, passing yards allowed is far more doltarific.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Here's another beauty for you, dot. It's from the same thread. This one is a little longer though. It has THIRTEEN "in response to's". It's the second message after the one I posted for you above which had ELEVEN "in response to's". Three guesses how many "in response to's" the message in between these two had...

Anyway, enjoy the read, dot:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Wilkerson the second best defensive tackle in the NFL? How could this be? Rusty said he was a bust, 11 seconds after the Jets drafted him. Then again, he said that McCourty was better than Revis.

Can we assume Rusty will now claim that ProFootballFocus is biased?

PFF also said that McCourty was a pro bowler at his position toolbag: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/19/pro-bowl-roster-2012-afc/2/

I thought you said he was a bust and BB was going to cut him. LMAO @ U. Enjoy another losing season with Sanchez at QB.

Wilkerson is ok but he was a 1st rd pick. The guy really doesn't make any plays, he just collects tackles like David Harris.

No sacks, no forced fumbles, etc.

Leave it to the Jets fans to think that steady play is what they needed in such a dire position for young, impact players.

It's just because Sanchez and Kyle Wilson are busts in the 1st rd that they overrate Wilkerson. Like clockwork.

Hey I had a discussion with you regarding Wilson two months ago - I said he was a good player - you said he was a bust. You remember, right? Remembering should be easy with a photographic memory and all. LOL!

Learn the game...watch it...don't just google stuff! Try it, you'll feel better:)

Oh and you're welcome.

What? Wilson is a bust. Go ask their own fans. He's an average nickel and does these dances after being beaten on plays left and right. I've posted numerous threads here about their own opinions of him.

He stinks. 1st rd pick, deepest draft in 25 years. I'd be ticked if my pick didn't start or start and contribute after 3 years.

Let me get this right.Your entire premise of Wilson being a bust is that he was drafted in the first round as a CB and has played on a top 10 pass D each year in the league, including 2012 when Revis, the NFLs best CB, was out for the year.

And in the same breath you are defending McCourty, who was drafter earlier in the round, who had a solid rookie season on a horrible pass defense, had an awful sophomore season on a horrible pass defense was then moved to safety (a first round safety? Who does that? That screams bust right there) and once again, the pass defense was horrible.And Wilson is the bust?God, you’re an idiot.

Eugene Wilson was moved from CB to Safety and he played well. Who cares where the player plays?

Troy Brown played nickel in 2004 and NE won a SB.

You'll never see a SB in your life. You apparently only care about getting attention so you can feel good hopefully not playing second fiddle to the Giants.

It drives you beserk that the Boston based NFL team is so vastly superior and that even drafting a CB 2 or 3 picks later in the same draft, you have far less to show for it.

We get it.

Kyle Wilson STINKS. I know it, you know it, your fellow fans know it. Kyle Arrington is a superior player to that of Wilson and BB didn't use a 1st rd pick on him.

Case closed.

Deal with it. The guy blows and your new, crappy GM will not resign him.

Cap:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=76483

Wilson:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=75216

So, the Patriots have better corners and safeties, but their pass D still blows while the Jets is top 10 without the best corner in the NFL? Is BB that awful of a defensive coach these days?

I wonder if the'll cut him in his rookie contract like all those high round picks BB admitted were busts. I suppose they could just move Wilson to safety first. That's admitting the same thing when you spend a first round pick on a corner and realize he can't play man 3 years later.

I have no idea how you think you can still come on here with this rhetoric. Yards allowed in the air is not the representative of a D.

NE has absolutely dominated in the areas of sacks, fumbles and INTs over the supposed vaunted SB bound and legendary Rex Ryan D, while allowing less points again, for another year.

NE's D is trending up while yours is about to be absolutely awful. That new GM will send Revis or Cromartie on their way, Wilson will blow as a starter for 16 games, and that will be it.

No team fears that crappy D of yours.

It's priceless to watch you praise that crappy D the last couple of years and now act whatever you have in 2013 is better than the one you praised. How about just getting to a local college?

So what you're saying is that passing yards allowed or passing TDs aloowed or number of passes allowed over say 20 or 30 yards or opposing QBs passer rating are not acceptable ways of measuring a pass D's quality? Only turnovers?

No, what I am saying is you're still a dolt. Enjoy!

Oh looks likes rusty's big retort to being made a complete fool of is to call me a dolt. I think most would agree that claiming that sacks is a better metric of a pass D's effectiveness than say, passing yards allowed is far more doltarific.

I would call points allowed and the fact the Pats D is on the upswing as a better measure, actually.

Nice comeback and enjoy the long descent into laughingstock status as Rex Ryan and Sanchez delay you one more year.

LMAO

So, total points allowed by a defense is proof of the quality or lack thereof a pass defense? I don't agree. That is one metric of a defense, as a whole. However, in this case not only was the Jets pass D far better in yards allowed, but the defense as a whole gave up fewer points. You should look into these things before you go spouting off as to not look like such an idiot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The AngellVets are back!  Since that live Q&A with the vet on Monday there has been a flurry of activity :)

I was wondering if you could put the "Ask A AngelVet" title back under the "Pets" title section (like it was before).

Otherwise I think it's hard for new posters to find.     Thanks,  Robin aka dog-lady

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Does anyone know how to get rid of this AAAA stuff that seems to happen when you copy & paste an excerpt from an article?  It takes forever to correct it manually. Is there a trick to make it go away?

example: If you€™re worried Tony award-winning director John Tiffany cast Quinto just to provide star-power to the ART€™s first foray into Tennessee Williams, you shouldn€™t be. Quinto has the

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Robin, I filed a ticket on the encoding that's being carried from the other sites you're copying from. Hopefully there's a way we can translate that into apostrophes when you paste here. Happens a lot with Word, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from testboston11. Show testboston11's posts

In the note to the MIT community, Israel Ruiz, the school’s executive vice president and treasurer, addressed the hoax, the police response, and what is next for the institution.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

dottie "filed a ticket"

You know what that's code for, right, Robin?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@Ache  I assume it means they are working on it, lol

Alert for those that don't have cable:

Today at 1pm Dirty Harry    3pm One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest   ION Channel

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

hey Dottie, i was just wondering what the criteria was for removing posts? I know BDC reserves the right to remove posts as they wish but it just seems like (in the Red Sox forum anyway) perfectly normal posts are being removed and others containing personal attacks, insults and other material not suitable for the forum are allowed to remain.

A lot of posters are wondering what the deal is.. why can others constantly inject politics, insults and the like into a discussion and that's all good? meanwhile, other posts that contain nothing that should be frowned upon get deleted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Well, Robin, if that's really what it means, then the Globe needs to hire some new people to resolve these ongoing issues, because when was the last time dottie "filed a ticket" on anything that actually got fixed around here?

The answer is never

Two good movies. I'm sorry I missed them

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Hi Dottie,

For 5 days a poster has been mocking my name by creating a similar name and then canvassing the board with threads. I finally yesterday remarked to them:

"u must be 50 years old, a dork, and I bet your poodle even walks on you"

That is all I said.

The post was removed!  Then I posed this same question to you on The Front Burner and even my question to you was deleted !!!!

Yet the mocker continues on...... 

I was baited for 4 days before I made that simple remark.... this is insanity. Honestly I dont know what is worse, allowing this poster to do this or deleting my post and question to you... In the 4 days I sent complaints to the BDC privately but nothing was done.

Thanks.

This is the poster also known as 2004Idiots and -EdithBunker-  is using these 3 names at present: EnchilladdaT eidlog and BuritoT

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Ache, I didn't mean to ignore your question, I just didn't want to bury the other poster's question to Dottie.

If you must know,  I identify more with Randle McMurphy (Jack Nicholson's character).

Nurse Ratched definitely went over the line.

However, it is a delicate balance to show empathy and yet keep things in order....go by the rules.

ETA: EnchiladaT  bump up your post if you want, It wasn't my intention to hijack the thread.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

No worries about hijacking the thread, Robin. I doubt dottie has any intention of responding to Enchilada or mef anyway. At least not until April or May. You know how she is

How did you turn Enchilada's name into a link? Ive seen others do it to thread titles. Always wondered how it was done

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

And thanks for answering my question. Unlike dottie, your responses are always prompt:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

No worries about hijacking the thread, Robin. I doubt dottie has any intention of responding to Enchilada or mef anyway. At least not until April or May. You know how she is

How did you turn Enchilada's name into a link? Ive seen others do it to thread titles. Always wondered how it was done

to link their name just Highlight their handle underneath their avatar and copy/paste it into the response box.

once pasted it should appear blue and the hyperlink icon will be lit up.

• mef429
    • First: 9/10/2006
    • Last: 3/3/2013

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Ahhh. Didnt realize it was as easy as that. I assume it is the same deal with thread titles as well

Thank you, mef!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Getting no help even though singular posts continue to get deleted on an hourly basis.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Hi Dottei, it looks like someone got rid of one of the copy-cat monikers but the copy-cat went and created another one - EnnchiladaT. Not sure what to do about it... hate to run here and complain like a schoolkid every 3 days.

I wish the BDC would re-set my original name BurritoT. I lost the original email address I used in creating it and have never been able to access it again.  BurritoT

Thanks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Hi Dottie,

For 5 days a poster has been mocking my name by creating a similar name and then canvassing the board with threads. I finally yesterday remarked to them:

"u must be 50 years old, a dork, and I bet your poodle even walks on you"

That is all I said.

The post was removed!  Then I posed this same question to you on The Front Burner and even my question to you was deleted !!!!

Yet the mocker continues on...... 

I was baited for 4 days before I made that simple remark.... this is insanity. Honestly I dont know what is worse, allowing this poster to do this or deleting my post and question to you... In the 4 days I sent complaints to the BDC privately but nothing was done.

Thanks.

This is the poster also known as 2004Idiots and -EdithBunker-  is using these 3 names at present: EnchilladdaT eidlog and BuritoT

Hey Enchilada,

I took care of the mimicking accounts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

any word on why normal posts are being deleted for no appearant reason?

a few theories have been thrown around.. like if a post has been reported enough it will automatically be deleted. If so, is there a way you can raise the threshold so 1 or 2 people with multiple accounts can't get posts deleted on their own will?

if that is not the case then one of the mods has a VERY poor sense of judgement on what is OK to post in a sports forum and what is not.

BTW you missed an EnchiladaT smurf.. EnnchiladaT

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Hey mef,

We use an outside company for our moderation. They handle abuse reports, and yes, once in a while they delete comments that are fine, or keep reported comments that should be deleted.

We do not have auto deletion based on X number of abuse reports. We used to, but got rid of it.

I can speak to the mods, but it helps to have specific examples. Is there a particular discussion on the Sox On the Front Burner forum with bad moderating that I can use as an example?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

thanks Dottie, I will try look for some examples and get back to you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Ummm, dottie. You addressed everyone's issue in this thread except mine, ie, the monstrous "in response to" piles that are a blight on the sports forums

You say you want examples. Well, I gave you two beauts (please see above)

The quote system is still broken, dot. It needs to go back to the way it used to be. If a poster hits "reply to this post", only one message should appear in the "in response to" area, not humpty dozen as often happens now

I know you cant do much about it, save "file a ticket" (whatever that means), but do you at least agree that the quote system is messed up and needs to be fixed?

Sections
Shortcuts