1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Forums issues today

Hi folks,

I wanted to let you know what went on today with the forums.

We've decided to build our own forums and article comments instead of using those provided by another company. We believe that having that software on our own servers will give us more flexibility and control.

As part of that process, we are moving all of the data from the company we're using now to our servers. In order to make it easier for us to get that data, the company upgraded its software today.

Unfortunately, the upgrade caused problems: It messed up article comments on BostonGlobe.com, it took many of the forums offline, and it caused a few threads to disappear. After working all day to rectify it, this evening we told the company to go back to the earlier version before the upgrade.

It worked; the forums are back. Unfortunately, in reverting, all discussions started and posts added today are gone.

So, a sincere apology. I can't promise that more weird things won't happen as we make this massive transition, but our developers are working diligently to minimize the disruptions.

Thanks.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Forums issues today

My avatar changed and it won't let me change it back,  I want my Andy Warhol pink flower back!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Today's changes are terrible.  You can't edit, no spell check but the real issue is that its unclear that you have posted a response as opposed to a comment.  In addition, the software seems to be buggy and sees banned words in character strings that aren't there.  I've had notices to change words from a list of characters and letters I can't list here and neither were in my post.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

For those of you complaining about the small font.
    A new pair of prescription glasses can work wonders!
    Also you can go to tools on your computer, try increasing zoom to about 150%. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Thank you BDC Dottie!  My avatar is back!  FWIW  I like the smaller font, but then, I just had an eye exam and my prescription eyeglasses updated recently.  "I Can See Clearly Now."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonEmera. Show BostonEmera's posts

In response to Forums issues today:

Today's changes are terrible.  You can't edit, no spell check but the real issue is that its unclear that you have posted a response as opposed to a comment.  In addition, the software seems to be buggy and sees banned words in character strings that aren't there.  I've had notices to change words from a list of characters and letters I can't list here and neither were in my post.

massmoderateJoe:

Sorry hear you're not happy with the changes we've made thus far.  We're still working through some issues, but I wanted to let you know that specific to the banned words item you mentioned, we hope to have that resolved by tomorrow morning. 

Thanks for your patience while we continue to improve the site -

Emera
    Product Manager, Boston.com
    emera@boston.com

Sections
Shortcuts