1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Lack of Women Posting in the Political Forums

I am very curious as to why there are so few women posting in the political forums on Boston.com.

My theory is that the political forums are full of an excessive amount of name calling, well beyond heated political exchange. Also, they are full of profanity, vulgarities and obscenities. This of course is not what one would call civil discourse. Studies have shown that women prize civil discourse much more then men.

Further, if you finally resort to using the abuse button, some male posters will bring pressure on you not to use it. Ever.

So, given so many women post on Boston.com article threads and BostonGlobe.com article threads, I am curious as to why they are not posting, at least on a regular basis, in the political forums.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Re: Lack of Women Posting in the Political Forums

Women have better things to do with their time. Posting on a message board all day is dumb. The fact there are few women in the politics forum speaks well of them, dont you think?

By the way how do you know whether a poster is male or female? The overwhelming majority of users on this board provide no information regarding gender on their profile page, including you

PS You dont need permission to file an abuse report. If your fellow posters think you are lame for filing one, or if they put pressure on you not to, what difference does it make? TS for them. Be a snitch if you want to. There's nothing stopping you...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: Lack of Women Posting in the Political Forums:
    [QUOTE]Women have better things to do with their time. Posting on a message board all day is dumb. The fact there are few women in the politics forum speaks well of them, dont you think? By the way how do you know whether a poster is male or female? The overwhelming majority of users on this board provide no information regarding gender on their profile page, including you PS You dont need permission to file an abuse report. If your fellow posters think you are lame for filing one, or if they put pressure on you not to, what difference does it make? TS for them. Be a snitch if you want to. There's nothing stopping you...
    Posted by AcheNot[/QUOTE]

AcheNot:

Your rather hostile response is perplexing. You yourself have acquired over 1600 forum posts. Difference being your posts were in other forums. As for your woman have better things to do with their time. I myself am a lawyer with a husband and a family. That alone, among other things I am, gives me plenty to do "with my time" AcheNot.

So, when you say posting on a message board all day is dumb, first, I never said anyone should aspire to that. Second, you yourself have quite obviously spent a great deal of time posting in the forums. I am sure you feel your topics were important, but to dismiss general, national and world politics as something "dumb" to spend one's time commenting upon seems on its face hard to justify.

As for be a "snitch" in your parlance, I went to your profile page as well, and right there on page one, you had a Forum post that "outed" a Ms.X, shall we say, as the one behind taking someone else's thread down. I made a reply to it.

If you had any high ground, you certainly lost it and then some with that type of commentary behavior.

In any case, thank you for your feedback. And no, I can see, you would never fit in in any of the political forums, in my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

I never said that national or world politics is dumb. Where did you get that idea? I said wasting time posting about it all day on a message board is dumb, especially on a board as male-dominated and as filled with vulgarity and obscenity like you claim thi one is 

Not saying there's zero value to the political forums. Occasionally you find a persuasive post in there that articulates a thoughtful idea, opinion, or POV.  It might even be one of your postings (although I doubt it...jk). Not everyone over there is a dummy. Actually most of the people I have met from that section of the board are pretty bright. But if youre looking to find wisdom in the politics forums...if that is what youre here for, then most days youre going to end up feeling sadly disappointed

One other thing: I dont claim the moral highground, but I do profess to hate snitches

Filing an abuse report is snitching
    Informing on a fellow poster to the mod staff is snitching

Is that what you think I was doing in the other thread? Seriously?

Wow. What planet do you live on, andi? I'm here on planet earth. Welcome

Good talking to you

By the way, if your point in posting this thread is to encourage more female participation in the politics forums, that's fine. I may even support your effort. But if it's to encourage the mod staff to ban users whose language you find offensive, youre on your own, and I hope you fail

Peace

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Well, as a woman poster who loves politics, I'll chime in.  Honestly, it would take a lot to offend me and if a thread turns into one with offensive language or anything,  I would just choose not to read it, especially if it came down to name calling.

I do most often have different political views than the political "norm" in Mass., so sometimes I find it just to be more frustrating, so why let myself get frustrated!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: Lack of Women Posting in the Political Forums:
    [QUOTE]Well, as a woman poster who loves politics, I'll chime in.  Honestly, it would take a lot to offend me and if a thread turns into one with offensive language or anything,  I would just choose not to read it, especially if it came down to name calling. I do most often have different political views than the political "norm" in Mass., so sometimes I find it just to be more frustrating, so why let myself get frustrated!
    Posted by princess-cal[/QUOTE]

princess-cal:

If by different political views than is the norm in MA, you mean more conservative political views, the political view are full of conservative posters as a point of fact.

I appreciate your willingness to "chime in".

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.