2012 MCAS scores released for districts and schools

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

2012 MCAS scores released for districts and schools

Results from the MCAS exams conducted in the spring of 2012 have been released and can be viewed here by district and individual schools.

What do you think of the results? Do you notice any trends? How did your school or district do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TTY09. Show TTY09's posts

Re: 2012 MCAS scores released for districts and schools

Why charter schools did so well in the MCAS? Those city mayors who opposed charter should reconsider it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimjogs. Show jimjogs's posts

In response to TTY09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why charter schools did so well in the MCAS? Those city mayors who opposed charter should reconsider it.

[/QUOTE]

Charter do not have as many special needs students who need remedial suppport as the regular public schools do.  Also, the typical Charter School family tends to be more committed to their child's education ("school wise parents"), willing to commit to the longer hours of a Charter School and need for family involvement.  Not all parents are able to make that level of commitment.  Charter Schools are very valuable, but one size does not fit all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jay-mor. Show jay-mor's posts

I think the description of these schools getting 100% is very misleading

To me 100% means they had perfect scores.  100% passed but I think you only need a 208 out of aperfect of 280 to pass.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkdecola. Show jkdecola's posts

I think the result are OK.. however MCAS was a way to measure Teachers not the students.. The system causes teacher to teach to the TEST.. the authority that runs MCAS does nto provider a curriculum for the schools to follow.. So the results mean nothing 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RoslindaleMom. Show RoslindaleMom's posts

Congratulations Boston Latin School!  100% of BLS 10th graders scored "advanced" or "proficient" in both English and Math -- the only school in the state to accomplish this!  77% of the 10th graders were "advanced" in English and an amazing 94% were "advanced" in Math.  The diversity of this public school -- where 1/3 of the kids are low income and more than 1/2 are non-white -- speaks volumes to what smarts, dedication, energy and hard work can do.  Boston Globe, you should be trumpeting this fabulous achievement by a public school in the heart of Boston!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bohous. Show bohous's posts

As a parent who recently "shopped around" for elementary schools in a school choice comminuty I have learned these results are extremely skewed depending on how a school integrates ESL and special needs students.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from differnet. Show differnet's posts

Every child is unique.  A wise parent looks around at all their options.  Charter Schools do something unique and even a year or two in a Charter School has educational benefits throughout the students life.  I'm not suggesting that Charter Schools are the answer.  I will, however, state that Charter Schools are scrutinized in a way that Districts Schools never are and the results may be partially attributed to the mandate that Charter Schools perform to exist.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 949red. Show 949red's posts

I'm sure that the teachers will be blamed for any school that had disappointing test results when the truth is that when the huge problem of poverty is addressed then test results will improve.  That is the very unpopular truth but then "you can't handle the truth".  By the way I am not a teacher or in any way involved in education, just a retired grandmother with common sense.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts