College wait list

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

College wait list

More college applicants are finding themselves wait listed this year, as colleges protect themselves against the shaky economy and the increase in the number of colleges seniors apply to. How will this affect the application process for seniors? Would you risk staying on the wait list? Who do you think being wait listed is more stressful for -- the students or the parents?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbsage. Show pbsage's posts

College wait list

I'm the parent of a HS senior who applied to 9 schools - accepted at 5, waitlisted at 2 (including her #1 choice) and denied at 2. Definitely stressful for both parents and students. How about if the market dynamics changed a bit and students bartered with other students for placement at colleges? My daughter has been accepted to Northeastern for the Spring semester, and is waitlisted at UConn. Anyone want to trade a slot in the spring at Northeastern for a guaranteed slot at UConn in the fall? This entire system is a mess and should be overhauled. There should be a national clearinghouse for applicants, and a strict limit on the number of applications each student is entitled to. My two cents - having lived through 6 months of early action torment, without a committed school in sight!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigman123. Show bigman123's posts

College wait list

What reason is there to think that the number of college applications has anything to do with the state of the economy? Are there really people out there that are applying to as many colleges as possible in hopes that one financial aid package will be significantly different than the rest? Obviously some schools offer more in grants than others, but the major component in the decisionmaking is family income, so I would be surprised to see enormous differences in offers made by different schools to the same student.

Also, Federal loans are not dependent on where you attend, only on "ability to pay" (whatever that is). And if cost is really the only factor by which all these alleged people are going, shouldn't UMass be the only one seeing a rise in applications (in MA)? I think the fact that competitive schools are seeing big increases is an indication that a lot of people are applying to a lot of places with the mindset of� "hey, maybe MIT will screw up and let me in." If the number of applications is increasing and the class size stays the same, it only makes sense to reject more, and maybe keep some extras on the wait list.

Lastly, you can't seriously expect to be accepted off the waitlist. Obviously it happens to some, but its better to have the expectation of being ultimately denied outright. If you do end up getting in and decide to go there, you can always rescind your acceptance at whatever place you accepted. At worst, you lose a deposit of a couple hundred dollars, but it is better than putting all your hope in a waitlisting that will probably not come out in your favor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dadadee. Show dadadee's posts

College wait list

Colleges want what they want in a student. If a student doesn't meet the criterion, then they will be passed over for more qualified candidates. Thats not to say those who are rejected or wait-listed are not good applicants, just not the best.

Sure its frustrating, but I don't think that students should be restricted from applyng to as many schools as they want. They have to look out for themselves first.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

College wait list

I'm sure meeting the affirmative action goals come into play with these wait lists too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigman123. Show bigman123's posts

College wait list

I understand how the college application process works as, like you, I have gone through it. The point I'm making is that the article mentions a lot of elite schools which are waitlisting more people, and I don't see how you can actually expect merit-based financial aid when you apply to MIT. Essentially, I'm trying to figure out why someone would apply to more elite schools if cost is the ultimate factor for you.� Like you say, the big grants come from the safeties, but there is no mention of that in the article. Are there people applying to MIT hoping to get a full ride and then turning down the offer when they get little or no funds?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jay-mor. Show jay-mor's posts

College wait list

Well, it makes sense this would happen. The more schools the kids apply to, the less will that get acccepted will say yes because they have acceptances at so many other schools.� Add the credit crisis to this and people who were planning on privately financing the education might be rethinking what school they go to.� Although financial aid is based on income/need, the larger the endowment the more the school can afford to give.� The more the school wants you the more money they will find.� So I think packages can vary quite a bit.If my kids get put on a waitlist, I will just tell them it wasn't meant to be unless there is some huge draw for that school.� I feel no need for my kids to go to an ivy league school.� Good thing for that as no ivy league would want them either.� I just want a school that is a good fit for them.�

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

College wait list

Its an absolute joke.���I know so many parents where I work at, that not hope but expect there kids to go to college, and treat anything else as a second class career.� Even though my wife and I are both college educated, I would hope both my son and daughter to at least look at the professional trades, such as a electrician, plumber, ect.�And to all those parents out there that think a good paying job requires college, they are pretty short sighted.� Alot of my extended family are either plumbers, electricans, bricklayers, tile setter, and they make more money than most people I work with that have there high priced PhD in biology, or chemistry that are strangled with student loans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bugmenot. Show bugmenot's posts

College wait list

Would you risk staying on the wait list?

There is no 'risk.' It costs you nothing. Why would you have applied to the school in the first place if you didn't want to go there?

Noone should have any delusions, though. Candidates on the wait list are ranked.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dadadee. Show dadadee's posts

College wait list

Depending on the school, geographic location matter, too. Despite what the competition is, its there. You don't always get what you expect or deserve, may as well learn young.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

College wait list

I know all to well about law school students.� I dated a girl for many years as I watched her go from top graduating student Suffolk Univeristy witha� 4.0 GPA�to BC Law School and was s nervous wreck and her roommates where all BC students as well.� She pased her bar examine and got a job in Boston, but was strangled by 1000's of dollars in student loans.� She basically left the profession 2-3 years ago because of the long long hours away from her family and now works at the state house.�The best part about the whole ordeal was all the lawyer jokes I learned