dumbest generation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3174722. Show user_3174722's posts

dumbest generation

I've heard so many complaints that my generation (I'm 21) has waaaay to many gadgets that make everything too easy. 

Think about the first car, the first microwave, the first landline telephone.  Did people not say the same about those generations?

The part that gets to me is that people don't realize that 25 years ago people were saying the same thing about my mother's generation. 

WAKE UP!!  This is just the latest recitation of "kids these days!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

dumbest generation

Exactly!  People say that after they tell you how they walked to school barefoot in the snow after sharing their breakfast with their 10 siblings in their house with no heat, no television and no credit cards!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]

I've heard so many complaints that my generation (I'm 21) has waaaay to many gadgets that make everything too easy. 

Think about the first car, the first microwave, the first landline telephone.  Did people not say the same about those generations?

The part that gets to me is that people don't realize that 25 years ago people were saying the same thing about my mother's generation. 

[/Quote]
    Most of the people who complain that you have it so easy are people who cannot fathom how to use the gadgets themselves.  And, yes, they talked about your Mom's generation the same as they did about mine.  It is indeed the lastest recitation of "kids these days".  However, at the risk of sounding like I'm saying, "someday you'll understand" or "wait until you have your own kids", I guarantee that someday YOU will say, "kids these days!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from barco1. Show barco1's posts

dumbest generation

A study recently published in the Journal of American History showed that American teenagers from WWI, WWII, and the present day pretty much have the same knowledge level of US History.  We are not going up or going down..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]

[/Quote]

I have no problem with any generation.  I mean, if people have a problem with the younger generation, they have to realize they are the ones that are raising the younger generation to be a certain way!  It's not as if they just decide to act a certain way.  The younger generation is brought up in this world and they will react to the environment that is provided for them by previous generations.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

dumbest generation

I work with kids so I see some of this first-hand.  The best part of the new generation is they are incredibly open-minded and tolerant of differences that other generations have obsessed over.  Their biggest problem is a lack of connection to basic literacy: effective reading and writing skills.   All those gadgets have kept kids out of books and their language skills have suffered as a result. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]well, it won't be long till the winter skiing season..............

which Kennedy is left to carry the Scamelot torch by slamming into a tree while drunk?

our truest dumbest generation........................[/Quote]

You must have a very full and exciting life. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]

[/Quote]

How did the car, the microwave and the telephone dumb down a generation? 

I'm 36 and the older generations complained that calcualtors were going to turn us stupid in the ways of math and within my generation and beyond, we have young cashiers that can't give change for a dollar without the register telling them how much to give. 

I don't think it's as much of gadgets making them stupid, it is gadgets making things easier and no parents are reinforcing the basics.  Get someone at 70 and someone at 18 to WRITE, not type on a computer, WRITE a letter and you'll see the difference "gadgets" like Microsoft Word and spell check have done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]I don't think it's as much of gadgets making them stupid, it is gadgets making things easier and no parents are reinforcing the basics.  Get someone at 70 and someone at 18 to WRITE, not type on a computer, WRITE a letter and you'll see the difference "gadgets" like Microsoft Word and spell check have done.[/Quote]

Great point.   I teach and I have kids who are proud they passed MCAS without ever having read a book all the way through.  Kids do not write well because they do not value reading. They fill their time with other (gadgetry) stuff.   Parents let it happen.  And yes, both my kids are readers (and are effective writers) and we started early and often on that path.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]
    HOP-3 you are an EVIL person, sowing the seeds of destruction, for your psycho fanatic religion of EVIL.[/Quote]

You are a racist fool who would not dare say your views in public for fear of getting the thrashing you so richly deserve.  The times are changing and people like you are being left in the dust (or prison if they ever act out the hate in your heart).  You are a twisted little man who does not deserve the freedoms of this country because you are trying to destroy them with your ignorant, racist agenda.  How are the new Silvershirts doing?  Membership past one yet?  No?  Good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]

I work with kids so I see some of this first-hand.  The best part of the new generation is they are incredibly open-minded and tolerant of differences that other generations have obsessed over.  Their biggest problem is a lack of connection to basic literacy: effective reading and writing skills.   All those gadgets have kept kids out of books and their language skills have suffered as a result. 

[/Quote]

I am not concern about writting and language skills because communication is a dynamic event . Language changes from generation to generation. It is an evolving process that it is affected by technology and new events. How many people would be able to understand someone speaking an English from the 1800s ?

The new generation are affected by internet and all these communicatinal technologies. Today people are closer than ever, therefore their vocabulary will change.

The only way to have an unchanged vocabulary is to have people isolated, and still you will see some chages.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]
    If you really care about your students, do them a favor. Leave the profession.
    [/Quote]

Sheepy, you have it exactly backwards.  It is because I care about kids and the truth that I stay with teaching.  And what, pray tell, do you do that makes this world a better place?  And no, writing about your infantile conspiracy theories is not useful.  Seriously, when you are out of your Mom's basement and away from your computer, what do you do that is so worthwhile?  Still looking for the "right" job?  Thought so. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

dumbest generation

Polpot: maybe if you had actually stayed in school through graduation you would know a bit more about the education reality.  Face it, you are a vanishing breed.  The new generation sees you as an anachronism.   They may struggle with the three "R"s, but they are collectively better people than you because unlike you they see value in all people.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

dumbest generation

After witnessing a primary where we had the first popular female candidate and the first popular black candidate,I am optimistic about the tolerance within this nation.To give this outcome to one generation ignores the larger scene now present.After WWII America stood alone amongst all countries on an educational basis. The Sputnik made us question our schools and the abilities of our students and professors. The fall of communism in the USSR indicates a lack of intellectual and political ability existed behind the Iron Curtain.
     In the past thirty years,Europe,Asia,Australia,South America,and Australia appear to our competitors in the economic marketplace and  health services for our complex population.We are fortunate in this respect,people do not have to move to the US for good ideas to cross national boundaties. Intelligence around the world feeds into our new gadgets and makes our nation more productive.
    It seems our larger failings regarding divorce and single parenting remain issues which cannot be overcome with education. We may more tolerant toward ethnic and racial groups,but it seems we have lost our tolerance for each other on a personal and spiritual level.As to the work ethic I cannot imagine a more foolish statement. With the present economic struggles more women are far harder workers outside the home than they have ever been in our nation's history excluding their efforts during WW II.Gadgets have made life easier within the home,but this does not mean women's work is easy or not requiring difficult training and a high level of intelligence.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

dumbest generation

Polkapal: anything good to say about anything???   So very angry.  Can't you find pleasure in anything around you?  Sad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

dumbest generation

You have no idea of what I do or how I do it.  You just have prejudices that shape all your thoughts.  Still have nothing good to say about anything?  Sad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]value in all people ??  I'm not getting my money worth, I want my money back.

ps: MENSA BABY.... eat that.[/Quote]

You are babbling incoherently.  Hard to find any value in you, but I will keep looking.

Anything positive to say?  Anything?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from masschyk. Show masschyk's posts

dumbest generation

One thing I have noticed about this issue; if you are middle-aged the younger generation is dumb, if you are young the older generation doesn't get it, and if you are old enough to watch your children's children turn into teen-agers, you sit back and laugh. When I was growing up in the 80's we were considered wasteful and self-abosorbed, part of the MTV generation of idiots. Now that I am older I listen to my friends that grew up with me complain about the same things their parents complained about. Hasn't anybody figured this out yet as teenager after teenager goes through the growing process? Teenagers are self-abosorbed, stupid, social beings and every teenager is that way, whether it was the 50's, 80's or today. But just like we did, they will outgrow it as soon as life and reality smacks them in the face. Let them have their fun, ignorance is bliss, and they are in the most blissful time of their life. The drug and sex-fiending 60's teenagers made it through and so has every other former teenager.
    Another thing, I teach. But as a teenager I learned very little in middle or high school. It was in my 20's that I got the desire to learn and grow. Don't worry, the teenagers of today will get b*tch-slapped by life and turn into complaining farts too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]

Think about the first car, the first microwave, the first landline telephone. Did people not say the same about those generations?

WAKE UP!! This is just the latest recitation of "kids these days!"
    [/Quote]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

dumbest generation

[Quote]

Think about the first car, the first microwave, the first landline telephone. Did people not say the same about those generations?

WAKE UP!! This is just the latest recitation of "kids these days!"
    [/Quote]

I agree with this statement. I'm 24 and happen to think that my generation is turning out to be pretty good. Plenty of my generation seem to be graduating college. ( It would be interesting to see some of the numbers. Although, based on some of the people i went to college with, graduating from college doesn't exactly make you smart.)

I think the lowest of the low of my generation seem to give us a very bad reputation. People need to focus on ths successful portion of this generation, not the negative few who make us all look bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

dumbest generation

Considering the performance of the baby boomers' investment counsellors and the role of the university endowments,medical profession, banking leadership,insurance community,and accountants,it's hard to say the present generation is the dumbest on record.
    Historically,the generation of the 1850's,the generation of the 1890's,the generation of the 1930's,the generation of the 1960's had serious shortcomings when it came to foresight.
    Ethically, I think they might learn from our baby boomer mistakes
    and reform the accounting system,the banking and insurance systems,the medical system,the legal profession,and certainly the university system which all have the same goal,fooling all the people all the time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

dumbest generation

It's the absolute truth - this generation is not dumb, selfish or clueless. EVERY generation says it about the next one - you know, everybody walked five miles to school in the snow. They should stop and listen to themselves.

I have two teenagers and I like them a lot. I happen to think they are smart and funny (and nice).

Sections
Shortcuts