Finland and the US

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilcrowe. Show wilcrowe's posts

Finland and the US

The Finns do not have a diversity issueBy this I am assuming you mean their institutions of learning don't have to service students who speak several languages or come from a culture where education is not valued.á

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

If you take a quick look at this website, you'll see that Finland is in no way comperable to the U.S. for many reasons.

http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=25785#pres

Using them as a model fails the reasonability test. Virtually everyone speaks the same language, it is a homogeneous society, there are almost no legal immigrants, let alone illegal immigrants. Almost the entire population lives close to the southern coast, and the ability to get services from the government is poor outside of that one area.

Exams in early high school have been the norm in European countris for many generations, adn it was one of the reasosn why the class systems has remained much stronger there than in the U.S.á If you did not pass the exam in the 10th grade, you were relegated to a life in the trades, with little or no upward mobility possible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trottier. Show trottier's posts

Finland and the US

áá ááááááááááá In finland, there is no dumbing down of education, kids actualy have to meet standards, they can read and write, and most speak 2 languages, plus, they can add, substract and multipy. even talk and are easy to understand.á We are what we are in america, a broken down liberal country, dedicate to the ideal mediocre is good, dumb is acceptable, and who needs to read write add and substract anyways, what use is that in america anyways?á

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

what y say?

Agreed. Poor educational plans, made acceptable by PC educators have lead to mediocre science and math programs. We have many programs which are an inch deep and a mile wide (to be inclusionary!!).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Finland and the US

None of the young people I know fit your description at all.á As for being a broken down liberal country, education is better in so-called liberal states than in the red states.á Statistics, SATs and other standardized testing show that time and time again.Yes, there are huge differences in socioeconomic classes when it comes to basic knowledge and skills, but I think that is more a result of the importance of families valuing education and placing it as a high priority.á And it is a fact that we do NOT have a homogenous population - never have.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Finland and the US

BTW -kids do have to meet standards in this country - at least anyone who wishes to graduate high school and go to college.And it is odd that you are lecturing about today's youth being "dumbed down" while you have several spelling errors in your post.á I think people just take any issue at hand and blame it on "liberals", blah blah blah.á We have had a republican president for 8 years - Massachusetts had republican governors for 12 years before now.Kids today are not stupid - every generation thinks the current one is stupid.á It never seems to turn out to be the case.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilcrowe. Show wilcrowe's posts

Finland and the US

You are obviously a product of the highly flawed education system you lament.á

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trottier. Show trottier's posts

Finland and the US

áááááááááááááááááááááááááááááá INCORRCT!áá I was educated in public schools, in the 40's and 50's. I and all my classmates, can read, write, speak clearly., and all of us can do math.My teachers, were wonderfull, but expected a lot, I spent 43 years in the machinist trade, lots of math, and such. I owe it all to those, who set a level of standard, that had to be met to graduate. á

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilcrowe. Show wilcrowe's posts

Finland and the US

Congratulations.á This was apparently before typing and spelling were used in public school.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

The exams are not whether or not you go to the 11th grade, they are much more comprehensive, and pertain to larger choices . This exam is the major factor in determining whether or not a child goes into the trades or a professional career.

It is the experience of many Europeans that the exams are virtually "Self-selecting" as they perpetuate the position that a student's family and economic status is already in.

I don't agree that a life choice should be largely drived from the results of an exam which is taken in the 10th grade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Finland and the US

Do you have any children?á I'm curious, because it seems like people with no children make sweeping generalizations about the terrible parents of today.á Of course, that has been going on for generations.á I have two children in high school (and one already out of college) and I do not know these parents that you are referring to.á Do they exist?á I am sure - some parents don't care and some parents try to interfere every time their child has to pay consequences for anything - but they are not the majority by any stretch of the imagination.á The parents of my childrens' classmates are involved, caring, and not stupid when it comes to thinking their child is perfect and will never do anything wrong.á Neither are my family members, and I have 30 nieces and nephews.It is quite difficult to get into any good college these days, so there are certainly standards to be met.á Unfortunately, those who do not graduate high school or go to college are going to create an evená bigger underclass than we have now and that is going to be a problem, as the blue collar jobs where you could earn a good living without a degree are vanishing.It is very easy to make sweeping statements about how stupid all of the kids are today - that doesn't make it true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

We're all about feelings. That's why Needham High did away with the Honor Roll because some who didn't get high grades didn't get on the honor roll and felt bad.

Sob. Poor little students.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

Goiod plan - except recent studies have shown that Italian kids are now growing fatter by the day, based on thier new eating habits which are much more like America's than Italy's (healthy home mde food, no junk food and sodas).

Looks like we export more than guns..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

Not an argument .. just a statement.

Blame shift has taken on a whole new meaning here .. personal responsibility is often out the window - the dog ate my homework scenario.

THis has recently been taken to new heights at WaMu where the top executives bonuses will not take into effect negative earnings due to the huge lending losses they've had. The spokesman said that the execs will be judged only on performance factors over which they haev control.

When the housign market was going up like gandbusters, I'll be they had no control over that as well, but they're not giviing back the bonuses they made then.

What a pile of dung..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

Capital letters are kool.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Finland and the US

I happen to KNOW my family and friends - you are generalizing about an entire demographic of people that you don't even know - not the same thing.á You seem to really want to label kids today as "thick".á Doesn't make you right.I also have educators in my family - my daughter is a teacher and does not have that attitude at all, my sister is retiring after teaching for 30 years and does not have such a negative attitude.á You don't say whether you have children or not, but I think I can figure that out.Every generation thinks they had it harder - it'sátoday's version of "I walked 5 miles to school barefoot in the snow".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Finland and the US

When did I ever use the word "special"?And I never said that there aren't superior educational systems and that we can't improve ours - what I said was that today's kids should not be broadly branded as being "thick" and meeting no standards, and that today's parents should not be accused of all being indulgent idiots.Schools vary greatlyáin this country - so do parents.á

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

I think that finishing schools are wonderful places where women can learn how to make nice for their men.

Sweet Briar comes to mind as a personal memory - love those southern belles.

Ooops - did you say Finnish?

Sorry, my tongue got caught in my cheek.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

Nice. My old office was in Malden Center (gateway Towers) near theá Blaine Witch Project School of Hair Design.

Summa kum makeup.!!!

Ha.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

You "nailed" that one as their school was always a "beehive" of activity.

I love sophisticated humor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

AKA "Dryer" humor.

Ouch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Finland and the US

It's "cutting" humor (ahem), sort of like that of the Algonquin Round Table - S.J. Perleman, George S. Kaufman, Dorothy Parker, et. al. They must have been hilarious .. plus they were generally plastered.

Two of her best, I think - "One more drink and I'll be under the host" and "Men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Finland and the US

The United States is sorely lacking in vo-tech education.� In Europe, there is middle ground between high school and a four-year degree.� There was a study just on this a few years back.� Not every student is prime for university, but many are for vo-tech.