Is grad school a bad idea?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WaldemarG. Show WaldemarG's posts

Is grad school a bad idea?

Lately, there seems to be more and more criticism of graduate school in popular culture. (There are some especially derisive viral videos out there). This is interesting, because grad school isn't something that usually appears on pop-culture radar.

Meanwhile, the Chronicle of Higher Education has been running articles by professors telling students to avoid graduate school. There is even a blog called "100 Reasons NOT to go to grad school" (http://100rsns.blogspot.com/).

There seems to have been a cultural turning point. When did grad school become a bad idea?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Re: Is grad school a bad idea?

[QUOTE] When did grad school become a bad idea?
    Posted by WaldemarG[/QUOTE]

Around the time that spending a lot of time specifically learning one subject, therefore knowing more about it than other people, made you an "elitist" who thinks (correctly) that they know more about it than other people.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuarb. Show nuarb's posts

Graduate School is a complete waste of time or money unless you are absolutely certain that your desired job will hire you with that degree.  Certain degrees like an MBA far outweigh most Masters programs but in general they are all worthless.

Job Experience is far more valuable and in most cases gets you further ahead.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from didud. Show didud's posts

First, I will address the question is it a bad idea, then I will move to cultural references in the media.

It depends on what field you want to work in.

I went to grad school so I could get a Masters in Education.
    I also worked at the university, so they paid for it through their tuition remission program.  I got a free degree, quit my university desk job to become a part time adjunct professor in Boston. I teach at two prestigious universities, I love my job, I enjoy the intellectual challenge and I learn something new every single day. I get up every morning excited about my work. 

Grad school can be a bad idea if you're going because your best friend is, if you are putting yourself thousands more into unmanageable debt, or have any reservations whatsoever.  It's not for everyone. I do advise my students to think long and hard about going to grad school.

Lastly, I think it is being attacked on the pop culture front because people don't like other people who are smarter than they are, it's fashionable in this country to attack "elitists", and most people think education is about money.  All terrible attitudes, admittedly, but they persist. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dawn2718. Show dawn2718's posts

There are different types of grad school. If your grad school program is funded - that is, you do not pay your own tuition, and you receive a stipend covering living expenses, then there's no harm in applying and attending. Since you cost the school money to attend, they won't let you stay if you don't absolutely belong there.

If you're putting yourself through grad school, however, then more thought needs to go into the decision.

Are you getting the degree in order to get a higher-paying job? Will the money you spent on school allow an increase in salary once you get your degree? If so, how many years will it take to recoup the cost?

Another reason you might be getting the degree would be because it's absolutely required for the profession you intend to pursue. As a result, you need to weigh your probability of success in the program with the cost of attending and the probability of actually getting - and enjoying - that coveted job once you graduate.

The last reason one might pay one's own way through grad school is simply to learn what the program has to offer. If you can afford it, then it's absolutely worthwhile, but you should keep in mind that dropping out is an option if the program doesn't deliver what you came there to learn.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dawn, are you saying that if someone ELSE, taxpayers or whomever, is covering your expenses than don't think about if it's right for you, just spend our money and go?  If YOU are funding it, think about it long and hard first?  That's what's wrong with this country.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJLen. Show JJLen's posts

In Response to Re: Is grad school a bad idea?:
    [QUOTE]Dawn, are you saying that if someone ELSE, taxpayers or whomever, is covering your expenses than don't think about if it's right for you, just spend our money and go?  If YOU are funding it, think about it long and hard first?  That's what's wrong with this country.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

No, Dawn -- maybe that's what the poster meant but I highly doubt it. For many grad school programs, the cost is covered at least partially by an employer or by the school itself -- for example, PhD programs will offer a stipend to cover living expenses. Someone else who makes use of these resources doesn't cost you, Dawn-the-taxpayer, anything at all, and has nothing at all to do with "what's wrong with this country." I also think the main point is that if you as a student are going to go thousands of dollars into debt in order to finance your graduate education, it is simply smart financial planning to weigh the pros and cons of grad school very carefully.

To the LW, I can't say when the culture at large deemed grad school a waste. But really, there are so many types of grad schools and programs it's an odd concept. For example, in this state, teachers *must* get a Master's degree or they lose their teaching license after 5 years. Hardly a bad idea for a teacher to get a Master's then, right? Someone who wants to be a doctor has to go to grad school (med school). Someone who wants to be an architect. The idea that *all* grad school is a waste of time seems to be partially based on an anti-intellectualism; as if becoming an expert in a certain field makes you one of the bad "elites." But frankly, plenty also began disparaging grad school when the cost to attend began to skyrocket, out of all proportion to both the ability to pay of those who hoped to attend and the potential job market for graduates. College and graduate school tuition has been increasing at disturbing rates for the last 20 years or so. As much as we might value education for its own sake, it can be financial suicide to go to graduate school in some situations.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cedrikduncan011. Show cedrikduncan011's posts

Same question when did a grad school is a bad idea ,well education is very important to people and school is also have a big role to many student and i can't even think that it is a bad idea.In Helsinki i use to get a Master degree in a business school and that school really give me a lot knowledge about what is business is.