Just UMass?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjleblanc2002. Show cjleblanc2002's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]It should stay UMass-Amherst. Unlike the other schools mentioned (Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania), UMass does not have satellite campuses. Each one is a fully separate school. At the others, you can take classes at any one of the satellites just as if you were at your home campus: there's no difference. You can't do that at UMass. If you're at Boston, you can't take classes at Dartmouth without then transferring the credits back to Boston.

The other campuses might be second in the mind of those at Amherst, and second when it comes to state financial support, but otherwise they're independent.
    [/Quote]

It's slowly moving away from that as the schools integrate software and other functions. I went to UMB my freshman year, and I can log into my student account at UML and now see my UMB courses and credits earned, and can register for classes there as well, though I would still need to get final approvals from both schools. I can also look into Dartmouth. Amherst uses the same system, but are not integrated yet, and I don't know if Worcester will be or not.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

Just UMass?

they should rename the school UMASSive Shindig!!!

I only went there on the weekends while my friends were finishing up there 7 year bachelor programs :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from erinkat. Show erinkat's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]
    I agree with psadow's post, which said: "There seems to be, in the article, at least, no discussion of the University of California system. Are there no distinctions between, for instance, UCLA, UCSF (San Francisco), UCSD (San Diego), UCI (Irvine), UCSB (Santa Barbara), UCD (Davis), UC Berkeley (or just Berkeley) etc.? Of course there are. Does the mention of the letters after UC detract from their pre-eminence as part of the University of California system? No. Does each have its own national and international reputation? Yes."

I'm a proud graduate of UMass-Amherst. When I tell people I went to UMass, I'm sometimes asked which campus. Amherst does add an important distinction that shouldn't be taken away. Why shouldn't each of our individual campuses stand out on its own with its location? Some campuses have programs that aren't offered at other UMass campuses and those carry a lot of weight in the job market. For example, my sister earned her design and graphic arts degree at UMass-Dartmouth, which is a more prestigious program than the one offered at Amherst. The same goes for someone who went to the Isenberg School of Management at Amherst, as opposed to one of the other campuses. Which is worth more to the employer on your resume?

I resent the idea that UMass-Amherst should be like a Big Ten school like the University of Michigan. I'm not saying we shouldn't have the same quality athletics and academics the way Big Ten schools do, but when you look at the way those schools are structured and the lack of diversity in the student body you'll understand why UMass-Amherst is a unique gem. A campus of 25,000 students is a big distinction from 60,000+, and that's just looking at numbers alone. I went to a Big Ten for graduate school and wouldn't swap an undergraduate experience there for my undergraduate days at Amherst.
    The University of Massachusetts system with its distinct campuses should strive to be like the UC system by keeping the campus names we cherish attached to the name. I hope administration wisely keeps it UMASS-AMHERST, the way we kept the Minuteman as our mascot. These attempts at re-inventing our identity and who we are is ridiculous. Let's be proud of our university and find ways to improve and build, rather than dismantle tradition. Long live UMASS-AMHERST!!!
    [Quote]

All 4 UMass schools are accredited by the AACSB. So while you may think your degree is better, it is in fact not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrScrappy77. Show MrScrappy77's posts

Just UMass?

It should be renamed, UMASS-Idiots. Why do those dopes constantly riot when the Red Sox or Patriots win? Can someone explain to me why drunk idiotic college kids feel the need to turn over cars when a sports team wins a championship? Does it feel good to destroy public property?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cou11233. Show cou11233's posts

Just UMass?

Though UMass Amherst wants to be in the same league as the "public ivy" schools, they're not even close and won't be for a long time. Remember, up until a few years ago you could get into the Amherst campus with a 900 SAT score. I have to laugh at the idiots posting here who graduated in 1983, 1994, and 2000 acting as if they attended an "elite" university and looking down on graduates from the other UMass campuses. Sure, the Amherst campus has improved, but it was still "Zoomass" when you attended, so get your noses out of the air, jerks. If you had any brains at all, you would have went to BC.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GerryNorth. Show GerryNorth's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]The school's image? What, a giant keg party? These grads need a hobby.[/Quote]

Not a good idea to drop Amherst from the campus title. That's the handle that helps
    prospective students find a number one party
    school. Research campus? Give me a break!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortysomething. Show fortysomething's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]
    The difference is that Dartmouth, Lowell and especially Boston are "commuter schools". They have little or no student housing, and thus must draw most of their students from the local area. Thus, the student body will closely resemble local demographics, whether it's mostly white or mostly minorities. Amherst in contrast can draw its students from anywhere in the world. My first roommate was an Indian who had gone to high school in Japan. College applicants overwhelmingly prefer the on campus living experience, whereas those who choose commuter schools tend to do so for reasons of cost, all other things being equal. Adding more student housing has greatly benefitted Northeastern's image. It is why UMass-Boston is finally adding a small amount of housing at great expense. And it is why Amherst would not want to be confused with a commuter school, which are more frequently associated with hyphenated names in other state university systems.[/Quote]

Clearly you have never seen the Lowell Campus. I've been to both campuses and Lowell has just as much on-campus housing as Amherst. How about if these jackasses in the President's office spend their time and resources figuring out a way for all the students in Massachusetts to afford our "fine" University instead of worrying about attracting students from everyplace else.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpf63. Show bpf63's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]Though UMass Amherst wants to be in the same league as the "public ivy" schools, they're not even close and won't be for a long time. Remember, up until a few years ago you could get into the Amherst campus with a 900 SAT score. I have to laugh at the idiots posting here who graduated in 1983, 1994, and 2000 acting as if they attended an "elite" university and looking down on graduates from the other UMass campuses. Sure, the Amherst campus has improved, but it was still "Zoomass" when you attended, so get your noses out of the air, jerks. If you had any brains at all, you would have went to BC.[/Quote]

I hate to burst your bubble but back in the early eighties BC wasn't very hard to get into either. You can thank Doug Flutie and the Big East for it's increased visibility, popularity and heightened admissions standards.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bajangurl. Show bajangurl's posts

Just UMass?

First....who cares what the name is...no one outside of the New England area knows it as UMass Amherst, I just use that distinction for people who are aware that there is more than one UMass campus.

I am tired of people who have never been to UMass or even attended a class at UMass trashing the name of school. Don't knock it based on media reports or things you've heard.

"I'm not sure if Umass Amherst actually has any (educational) specialties."

This person has clearly not heard of the Isenberg School of Management (top 100).

You can no longer get in the school with a "900 SAT score". They are much more selective now. Classes aren't all walks in the park.

School officials and police have done a good job deterring students from rioting at the past couple of major sports events.

So like any other campus, yes we have parties, we have kids that act stupid and immature...but don't count us out as a non-studying party school.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cou11233. Show cou11233's posts

Just UMass?

I know you can't get in with a 900 SAT, but you could in the 80's and 90's. UMass Amherst is a better school now, but it wasn't so great then. I just can't stand people who graduted 15 years ago putting down the other campuses and bragging about attending the "Flagship" campus. That title carries a lot less weight when you learn the name of the ship was the "S.S. Mediocrity."

[Quote]First....who cares what the name is...no one outside of the New England area knows it as UMass Amherst, I just use that distinction for people who are aware that there is more than one UMass campus.

I am tired of people who have never been to UMass or even attended a class at UMass trashing the name of school. Don't knock it based on media reports or things you've heard.

"I'm not sure if Umass Amherst actually has any (educational) specialties."

This person has clearly not heard of the Isenberg School of Management (top 100).

You can no longer get in the school with a "900 SAT score". They are much more selective now. Classes aren't all walks in the park.

School officials and police have done a good job deterring students from rioting at the past couple of major sports events.

So like any other campus, yes we have parties, we have kids that act stupid and immature...but don't count us out as a non-studying party school.[/Quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LastMinuteman2. Show LastMinuteman2's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]Clearly you have never seen the Lowell Campus. I've been to both campuses and Lowell has just as much on-campus housing as Amherst. [/Quote]
    I have never been to the Lowell campus (only one I haven't been to), but according to their website they have on-campus housing for about 2,300 students. Amherst has on-campus housing for over 12,000 students (and needs more). Even as a percentage of the total student body, that's not equivalent.

It is interesting that some people responding here think the "UMass-Amherst" name does a better job of distinguishing it from the other campuses, while others think the same name links Amherst more closely with the other campuses and brings it down to the same level. The goal seems to be the same in either case. Incidentally, Amherst was declared the flagship university as a matter of state law in 2003. While the other campuses all have their strengths, this status is not up for debate. The question here is which name better highlights that status. It has only been known as "UMass-Amherst" since 1994.

And no, a name change is not a magic wand that transforms the university overnight. It's a step in the process. The reason we never do anything is because someone always cries that it's not a magic one-step solution. The product matters most, but the brand name matters too. And the brand name should be the "University of Massachusetts" and "UMass" for short, period. Once that's settled, we'll continue to work on other shortcomings and build value in the UMass brand. If the other campuses continue to use the UMass name, that should benefit them too, just not in comparison to the flagship.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DocMoonlight. Show DocMoonlight's posts

Just UMass?

Personally, I laugh at the idiots who paid BC prices when they could have gotten a better education at UMASS for a third of the cost.
    If you don't think UMASS stands with the public ivys, do a quick search of college rankings and see where UMASS stands and who it's peers are. The do a similar search on BC.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cou11233. Show cou11233's posts

Just UMass?

Again, UMass Amherst is a better school now, but it wasn't 15 years ago. My message was directed at those who graduated in the 80's and 90's when it was a joke and now try to associate themselves with its current good reputation.

[Quote]
    Personally, I laugh at the idiots who paid BC prices when they could have gotten a better education at UMASS for a third of the cost.
    If you don't think UMASS stands with the public ivys, do a quick search of college rankings and see where UMASS stands and who it's peers are. The do a similar search on BC.
    [/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from abd02138. Show abd02138's posts

Just UMass?

Has anyone here ever applied to graduate school? If so, you may have noticed that every application asks for the name of your prior undergraduate institution and also its location. Why? This is not random fact checking. This is done so that admissions staff and faculty can differentiate between 3.8 GPA from flagship campus of state system, versus same GPA from lesser campus. The former is weighted more heavily. The fact of the matter is that, in general and across departments, the Amherst campus is much more highly regarded by faculty nationally than the other UMass campuses. There may, of course be differences for individual departments.

Many of you have mentioned the University of California system. In general, all locations are fine institutions. But academics knows that UC Berkeley and UCLA have the leading position, and that the remainder of the campuses follow behind in reputation. This may or may not be deserved, but the bias is real.

Granted, the way to improve the profile and quality of the entire UMass system (including Amherst) is to improve every campus individually. A rising tide lifts all boats. But that does not say anything about the relative size or quality of the individual boats on that tide. There must always be a leader. The egalitarian philosophy of Massachusetts legislators and UMass faculty is antithetical to excellence. This holds UMass back more than funding limitations. Excellence is cultural, not financial.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjleblanc2002. Show cjleblanc2002's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]

Clearly you have never seen the Lowell Campus. I've been to both campuses and Lowell has just as much on-campus housing as Amherst. How about if these jackasses in the President's office spend their time and resources figuring out a way for all the students in Massachusetts to afford our "fine" University instead of worrying about attracting students from everyplace else.[/Quote]

Are you sure you went to UML, we don't have any where Near the amount of on-campus housing that Amherst has.

UMA has about 12,000 students living on campus, while UML has around 2300.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjleblanc2002. Show cjleblanc2002's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]
    Incidentally, Amherst was declared the flagship university as a matter of state law in 2003. While the other campuses all have their strengths, this status is not up for debate.[/quote]

Laws and statuses can be changed.

[Quote]The product matters most, but the brand name matters too. And the brand name should be the "University of Massachusetts" and "UMass" for short, period. Once that's settled, we'll continue to work on other shortcomings and build value in the UMass brand. If the other campuses continue to use the UMass name, that should benefit them too, just not in comparison to the flagship.[/Quote]

Why wouldn't we not continue to use the UMass name, it's just as much ours as it is all the other 4 schools.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTM. Show RTM's posts

Just UMass?

Umass was on US News and World Reports top 10 schools list in the 80's.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kakt95. Show kakt95's posts

Just UMass?

I graduated from UMASS Amherst in 1988 with a Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering. When I applied in 1983 the College of Engineering was ranked in the top 30 nationally for Electrical (23rd) and Chemical Engineering (13th).

According to the latest US News Rankings UMASS Amherst is 102nd in the rankings for top teir national universities and 49th nationally in undergraduate Engineering Programs for colleges that grant PhDs in engineering. Only Boston University,MIT (1st), and Harvard have a higher engineering school ranking for colleges that grant PhDs in engineering in the state of Massachusetts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Just UMass?

Hopefully Amherst will move its campus and leave UMass in control of this bucolic town.
    It seems Amherst,Williams,and the Ivy League want to expire.If a person has two children two years apart,they will pay $90,000 in tuition for two years and only $45,000 the rest of the time. This assumes the student wants to graduate in 4 years.
    If you do the math,you can see how a person from Massachusetts or New York,Connecticut or Rhode Island could save almost $120,000 in tuition costs alone.
    Besides some parents and many students ignore the basic problem of undergraduate education.Productivity and freedom only arrives if you do very well as an undergraduate student.Any person who assumes they can drink beer for four years and go to a special coed camp is mistaken.
    It is far cheaper to find yourself at $20,000 a year,than the corresponding self emergence at $45,000 a year. This might also explain why drugs are used instead of counselling in the psychiatric profession.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston9291. Show boston9291's posts

Just UMass?

In efforts of the UMass Amherst administration, i.e. Chancellor, Provost, and President trying to bring UMass to the level of UVA and Berkley, why couldn't we alums, the administration and students start to refer UMass as "Amherst"? I know that we are not yet on the same level as Cal-Berkley, or "Berkeley" but at least this way, we could be on the right path..also, it wouldn't be confused with Amherst College, because lots of people and alums say the full name of the school- Amherst College, not Amherst. If not used in the present day, I do see a future, with a significant increase in state support, in which UMass will be on the same level of a Cal-Berkeley and just refered to as "Amherst."

If not change the name to just Amherst, I think The University of Massachusetts could do..Ohio State has the moniker of "The" in front of their name as to not confuse people of their main,flagship campus and their other campus locations.How about that?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Just UMass?

How bout UMass-Bill Cosby or Dr. J?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Just UMass?

Here's a better plan. Change UMass Boston's name. Amherst and Lowell are both research universities. UMass Boston is essentially Boston State College while Dartmouth is essenitally Dartmouth State College. Put them down with Bridgewater and Westfield where they belong, change UMass Lowell back to ULowell and make UMass just UMass.

It's the flagship and lets put it on par with other flagships. How many people do you know who say they go to UConn-Storrs or Ohio State-Columbus?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jusdefax. Show jusdefax's posts

Re: Just UMass?

In Response to Just UMass?:
    When I am asked where I went to college, I refer to the school simply as UMass. I don't mind the Amherst tag, but when you say that you went to UMass it would be nice for people to understand automatically that you attended the flagship campus. As for the giant keg party comment...obviously this person hasn't been to the campus in quite some time. It's a different place now, frat row is gone, everything is a lot less crazy than it was even 2 years ago.
    Posted by blue34

Who are you kidding? Frat row is alive and well. This school (I'm a grad student) is filled with students who want a degree for as little work as possible. If there was no grade inflation, 40% of the students wouldn't graduate. And the sad thing is that the students know they can rely on it since otherwise professors would appear to be terrible teachers. The fact is that the students generally (not all) put in very little effort.

Sections
Shortcuts