Just UMass?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Just UMass?

Some graduates of UMass-Amherst, the flagship campus of the state's university system, are urging the school to abandon the "Amherst" at the end of the name.

They feel that designating the school's location in the name detracts from the school's image. Supporters of a "UMass only" name point to other major state universities like Penn State and Michigan as examples of how a flagship school can be branded without its location.

What do you think? Should the "Amherst" go? Or is it essential to the UMass name?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Just UMass?

It is the flagship school for the state system, has become a quality academic institution and is becoming a favorite for smart kids of modest means (it is a third of the cost of some private schools). It should therefore stand out as "The University of Massachusetts". Drop the location people will know where it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fwright. Show fwright's posts

Just UMass?

I am very glad this subject is being debated as it is something I feel passionate about as an alumnus. When asked where I went to college, I answer the 'University of Massachusetts' or 'UMass.' If then asked which campus, I will clarify, 'Amherst.'
    Many people within this state, especially the legislature that continues to fund public higher-ed at a pathetic rate, do not understand the possibilities for the school as a major research institution; and I believe a stronger branding of the university will help. By forcefully including the 'Amherst' location with the UMass name, it shrinks the size and scope of the school down to stature of the other UMass campuses, which as respectable as they are, cannot compete nationally or globally for students or grants like the flagship campus can.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pewp. Show pewp's posts

Just UMass?

I think they should change it to UMass-Amherst is the balls!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3019686. Show user_3019686's posts

Just UMass?

When I am asked where I went to college, I refer to the school simply as UMass. I don't mind the Amherst tag, but when you say that you went to UMass it would be nice for people to understand automatically that you attended the flagship campus. As for the giant keg party comment...obviously this person hasn't been to the campus in quite some time. It's a different place now, frat row is gone, everything is a lot less crazy than it was even 2 years ago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from umassgrl. Show umassgrl's posts

Just UMass?

I have attended both Umass Amherst (undergrad) and Umass Boston (grad) and the Amherst should be kept to stand out. It is very different from UMB and from the other campuses I have visited. I am always very proud to say that I went to Umass Amherst!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bospathdoc. Show bospathdoc's posts

Just UMass?

There seems to be, in the article, at least, no discussion of the University of California system. Are there no distinctions between, for instance, UCLA, UCSF (San Francisco), UCSD (San Diego), UCI (Irvine), UCSB (Santa Barbara), UCD (Davis), UC Berkeley (or just Berkeley) etc.? Of course there are. Does the mention of the letters after UC detract from their pre-eminence as part of the University of California system? No. Does each have its own national and international reputation? Yes. In fact, the prestige of some of the more reknowned academic centers add face value to those not perceived to be the equivalent. So, let Amherst shine. The presence of the town of Amherst as part of the name does not infer a commuter school reputation any more than Los Angeles adds commuter school to UCLA. Long live Amherst!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from myboypat. Show myboypat's posts

Just UMass?

Don't you have to apply to each location separately? It should only be called "UMASS" if you're able to send in one application, and choose whichever location you would like if you're accepted.
    Since that's not the case, and each location has it's own application process, it should continue to be called UMASS Amherst.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from work. Show work's posts

Just UMass?

Whatever name stops the Globe from finding new articles to slander UMass at Amherst.

So should Harvard be called: Harrrvard or Haaaaarvard Globe editors?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTM. Show RTM's posts

Just UMass?

Keep it UMass -Amherst, people who can't speak english like our mayor get degrees from, UMass Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanBoss. Show PatsFanBoss's posts

Just UMass?

What UMASS needs is a division one football program. you can not be even be considered a flagship school with the same breath as The Ohio State or Univeristy of Michigan without a big time Div. 1 program. University of Massachusetts will never be an elite school without a major football program. Until Umass gets Div 1 program it will always be known as a commuter school.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortysomething. Show fortysomething's posts

Just UMass?

Despite out of control college attendance costs and lack of tuition funding, this is what the administrators at UMass are spending time and resources on?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiliHead. Show ChiliHead's posts

Just UMass?

What about the gutting of LTI, a world reknown engineering school, and forcing it into the UMASS "family"? It was bad enough when they made up the name University of Lowell and truely embarrassing when it was lumped into the ZooMass name. I don't think Alumni from other UMASS schools would be willing to throw away their dollars in Amherst. I for one will not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

Just UMass?

I think the people at the Globe should fix this pathetic excuse for a message board system.

I don't care either way.

I think when you say UMass with no identifier, it is known that you are talking about UMass-Amherst.

It's the alumni/students of UMass Boston/Lowell/Dartmouth that need to be educated on how this works.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Just UMass?

No! It is not UMass-Amherst.
    It is University of Massachusetts Amherst. There is no hyphen nor any word "at" in the name of the University.
    A student paper with a hyphen or an "at" in the name of the school would not be accepted until the correction was made. I can't believe the reporter putting in the hyphen and I can't believe you UMass Amherst graduates don't even know the correct name of your school. At UMass Boston, they make sure that people know the correct name of the school.

Like the University of California, our campuses are unique. They specialize in different things.

For instance, my Alma Mater, University of Massachusetts Boston, is an adult commuter school for serious students. It is very highly rated. For example, UMass Boston is second only to Harvard in medical school admissions of the colleges in the Boston area. And its pretty easy for Harvard because they always take their own, unlike Umass Medical which only takes the top of the top.
    I, for one, would never want anyone to think that I went to UMass Amherst, which is best known as a party school.

Proud graduate of UMass Boston

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bauschez. Show bauschez's posts

Just UMass?

Do you think Alumnae of University of California at Berkeley would ever drop the Berkeley moniker from its name? Indeed the town name gives it its distinction.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yellowrose81. Show yellowrose81's posts

Just UMass?

I agree with psadow's post, which said: "There seems to be, in the article, at least, no discussion of the University of California system. Are there no distinctions between, for instance, UCLA, UCSF (San Francisco), UCSD (San Diego), UCI (Irvine), UCSB (Santa Barbara), UCD (Davis), UC Berkeley (or just Berkeley) etc.? Of course there are. Does the mention of the letters after UC detract from their pre-eminence as part of the University of California system? No. Does each have its own national and international reputation? Yes."

I'm a proud graduate of UMass-Amherst. When I tell people I went to UMass, I'm sometimes asked which campus. Amherst does add an important distinction that shouldn't be taken away. Why shouldn't each of our individual campuses stand out on its own with its location? Some campuses have programs that aren't offered at other UMass campuses and those carry a lot of weight in the job market. For example, my sister earned her design and graphic arts degree at UMass-Dartmouth, which is a more prestigious program than the one offered at Amherst. The same goes for someone who went to the Isenberg School of Management at Amherst, as opposed to one of the other campuses. Which is worth more to the employer on your resume?

I resent the idea that UMass-Amherst should be like a Big Ten school like the University of Michigan. I'm not saying we shouldn't have the same quality athletics and academics the way Big Ten schools do, but when you look at the way those schools are structured and the lack of diversity in the student body you'll understand why UMass-Amherst is a unique gem. A campus of 25,000 students is a big distinction from 60,000+, and that's just looking at numbers alone. I went to a Big Ten for graduate school and wouldn't swap an undergraduate experience there for my undergraduate days at Amherst.
    The University of Massachusetts system with its distinct campuses should strive to be like the UC system by keeping the campus names we cherish attached to the name. I hope administration wisely keeps it UMASS-AMHERST, the way we kept the Minuteman as our mascot. These attempts at re-inventing our identity and who we are is ridiculous. Let's be proud of our university and find ways to improve and build, rather than dismantle tradition. Long live UMASS-AMHERST!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkas. Show jkas's posts

Just UMass?

Like it or not, UMass-Amherst has a different connotation academically and otherwise then the other UMass campuses, at least in Massachusetts. Perhaps that is why alums like me generally include the 'Amherst' when mentioning UMass. That would probably be far less meaningful out side New England, however.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EllaMinnowPea2. Show EllaMinnowPea2's posts

Just UMass?

I would like to see the name of my alma mater kept UMass-Amherst.

I like that this distinguishes it from the other UMass locations and connects it to the other schools in the "five college" area. I loved my time spent in Amherst and feel the "UMass-Amherst" moniker emphasize the entire experience not just academics/on-campus part.

On the other hand, I think the argument that keeping or losing the "Amherst" would enhance or detract from the school's reputation as an academic institution is just silly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from work. Show work's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]No! It is not UMass-Amherst.
    It is University of Massachusetts Amherst. There is no hyphen nor any word "at" in the name of the University.
    A student paper with a hyphen or an "at" in the name of the school would not be accepted until the correction was made. I can't believe the reporter putting in the hyphen and I can't believe you UMass Amherst graduates don't even know the correct name of your school. At UMass Boston, they make sure that people know the correct name of the school.

Like the University of California, our campuses are unique. They specialize in different things.

For instance, my Alma Mater, University of Massachusetts Boston, is an adult commuter school for serious students. It is very highly rated. For example, UMass Boston is second only to Harvard in medical school admissions of the colleges in the Boston area. And its pretty easy for Harvard because they always take their own, unlike Umass Medical which only takes the top of the top.
    I, for one, would never want anyone to think that I went to UMass Amherst, which is best known as a party school.

[/Quote]

Get back to work Mayor...jealous are we...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanBoss. Show PatsFanBoss's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]No! It is not UMass-Amherst.

[/Quote]

at least Amherst has a campus. what's boston's campus a parking lot with a building in the middle of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]

Get back to work Mayor...jealous are we...[/Quote]

Ah, yes. You refer to another unique and special school at UMass Boston, the College of Public and Community Service. The mayor of Boston is one of its famous graduates; so is Joe Kennedy of Citizens Energy Corp. You could never have a school like that out in the boonies of Amherst; it needs the city.

The choice of which campus really is dependent on what specialty a student wants. UMass Dartmouth has the best marine biology program; UMass Lowell is for engineering, etc. If you want the best in cutting -edge green chemistry choose UMass Boston's program.
    Amherst is a nice rural college town, but the University's resources would be incomplete without ocean and city campuses.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]

at least Amherst has a campus. what's boston's campus a parking lot with a building in the middle of it.[/Quote]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishman1234. Show fishman1234's posts

Just UMass?

And the Globe finds this newsworthy?!? Must be a pretty slow news day for this to make it....

Who really give a s**t what the name is. If you want to say you graduated from UMass vs. UMass-Amherst, go ahead.

To the person who made the comment that at UMass Boston they make sure people know the correct name of the school: So is that the first homework assignment on the first day of school...go and write the correct name of the school 500 times...whatever!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tweed. Show Tweed's posts

Just UMass?

My son attends UMass. when people ask "which one?", I say "the real one". Dartmouth and Lowell should have kept their old names. The Med center is a great research facility, but is not a real campus.

Sections
Shortcuts