Just UMass?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Just UMass?

Good, you have learned that rural places have more land than cities. I bet all the UMA alums are very proud!

Seriously, if you want to support your University, don't you think it would be best to use correct grammar? Boston has an upper case "B", not only is it a city, it is the capital city of this state. Also, an interrogatory sentance should end with a question mark.

UMB has a city with all it's resources, which is pretty important for some fields. And Umass Dartmouth has an ocean. Would you apply to Umass Amherst if you wanted to be a marine biologist?

I'm not sure if Umass Amherst actually has any (educational) specialties. Perhaps the idea is to have one large more generalist campus, complimented by the satellites that add the specialties.

And, if you knew anything about UMass Boston, you would never credit the place with a parking lot. lol

at least Amherst has a campus. what's boston's campus a parking lot with a building in the middle of it.[/Quote]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]My son attends UMass. when people ask "which one?", I say "the real one". Dartmouth and Lowell should have kept their old names. The Med center is a great research facility, but is not a real campus.[/Quote]

Sorry, Tweed. UMass medical school is one of the very best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from work. Show work's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]

The choice of which campus really is dependent on what specialty a student wants. UMass Dartmouth has the best marine biology program; UMass Lowell is for engineering, etc. If you want the best in cutting -edge green chemistry choose UMass Boston's program.
    Amherst is a nice rural college town, but the University's resources would be incomplete without ocean and city campuses.[/Quote]

Boonies--the same "boonies" where Amherst, Smith, Williams, and other fine schools are located--you need to get out of the big city...

02seapinescc during an interview: Question--Where did you go to college? Answer--02seapinescc, proudly, I went to UMass! Next question--which one? 02seapinescc--meekly, Boston...but, But it (well practiced return--as we've read here) is a great school, blah, blah, blah...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Just UMass?

Hopefully, Tweed's son will actually graduate. If so the degree will say say University of Massachusetts, just like the ones they give out at all the UMass campuses.

While trees and big lawns are very nice things, shouldn't the main concern be quality of education not the physical size of a campus? Without the diverse specialties offered at the satellite campuses, we would only have the agricultural school in Amherst. That's right, Tweed, your son goes to the farmer's campus; I do bellieve that's still a major focus of the rural campus. UMA is one of Abraham Lincoln's original land grant agricultural colleges.

To the person who thinks that knowing the correct name of the school isn't very important, why are you even commenting? This discussion is about the name of the school.

I have to say it again, if you are trying to support your campus, why not use correct grammar in your post? In my opinion, that is one hallmark of an educated person. You folks are not improving UMA's reputation one bit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]

Boonies--the same "boonies" where Amherst, Smith, Williams, and other fine schools are located--you need to get out of the big city...

02seapinescc during an interview: Question--Where did you go to college? Answer--02seapinescc, proudly, I went to UMass! Next question--which one? 02seapinescc--meekly, Boston...but, But it (well practiced return--as we've read here) is a great school, blah, blah, blah...
    [/Quote]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LastMinuteman2. Show LastMinuteman2's posts

Just UMass?

The greatly varying perceptions of the Amherst campus expressed here illustrate that the branding of the university is a problem worthy of attention. One person even commented that it's a "commuter school", which shows exactly what's been gained by adopting the "UMass-Amherst" brand in '94 and creating a closer association with the other campuses.

California is the exception that proves the rule. That's an enormous state with an enormous population that spends an enormous amount more money on its public university system than Massachusetts does. They have multiple major universities. Massachusetts does not. I personally have attended classes at every UMass campus except Lowell, and while they all succeed in their educational missions to varying degrees, only the university at Amherst represents what would be described as the "full college experience". It is clearly the flagship, and it is worth the tiny amount of effort needed to brand it as such by designating it as the "University of Massachusetts" (UMass). The fact that anyone who went to a different school would like to see it remain "UMass-Amherst" shows that it does make a difference.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Just UMass?

I would never omit the fact that I attended the Boston Campus.

By the way - "cc" stands for Cape Cod, no city here.

Yes, the other schools located in Amherst are fine schools, certainly a tier or two above UMass.
    Have you been to Boston? There are several fine schools there as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bam1525. Show bam1525's posts

Just UMass?

I think its laughable frankly that alumni seem to think that the state will provide more funding if the school drops the "Amherst." If the legislators don't care enough about it now they aren't going to care just b/c you change the name.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AIXELSYD. Show AIXELSYD's posts

Just UMass?

UMASS- Amherst.

Only the morons from the Boston end of the state seem to think there is more than 1 campus of UMASS. The one and only real UMASS is and always has been at Amherst, going way to when it was only an agricultural school in historical times.

By keeping the Amherst suffix, it allows an easy and legitimate way for graduates to easily distinguish themselves by attending the premiere campus, rather than being lumped in with one of the other lackluster "jewels" of the system (medical center excluded).

I am quite sick of these Bostoncentric students who have no clue what they are talking about. If they wanted UMASS-lite they should have stayed in Boston.

The alumni will never tolerate further attempts to diminish the stature of our great univeristy by further associating it with Boston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogsdangles. Show dogsdangles's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]

What UMASS needs is a division one football program. you can not be even be considered a flagship school with the same breath as The Ohio State or Univeristy of Michigan without a big time Div. 1 program. University of Massachusetts will never be an elite school without a major football program. Until Umass gets Div 1 program it will always be known as a commuter school.

[/Quote]

What a fabulous idea! What says "quality higher education" better than a flashy, new logo and a Div 1 football team? Why spend taxpayer dollars on trivial items like cutting-edge research, quality educators, much-needed capital repairs, and affordable tuition when we can just have a football game instead?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugeboston. Show fugeboston's posts

Just UMass?

I guess I'm just being a jerk, but here's a normal conversation that will happen if people ask about my education.

"Where'd you go to school?"

"Umass"

"Which one?"

"If you just say Umass, that means Amherst"

They should drop the Amherst. There's no need of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Expatmom. Show Expatmom's posts

Just UMass?

Get rid of the name when the other campuses improve. I sent my son to the Amherst campus because I didn't want him to attend one of the others. A look at the U.S. News rankings tells the story: at this point, Amherst is superior.

It would be wonderful if the university system as a whole improved, but in the meantime, leave Amherst alone. I paid for that name for my son's resume.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Just UMass?

Only the under-educated would think that Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, was around during Revolutionary times. FYI - "Revolutionary times" would be 1775 - 1787. Mr. Lincoln's term bgan in 1861.
    Also, if you check the website, you will see 2 things:
    1. The name of the campus is the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
    2. The ag school is, in fact, still there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Expatmom. Show Expatmom's posts

Just UMass?

Creating a more egalitarian system is a worthy goal, however, the disservice would be to those kids who are able to get into UMass Amherst and whose parents have paid for their education. The admission standards are higher for a reason---just as they are at UC Berkeley. Again, the other campuses need to improve--that's the real problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mathteacher2. Show mathteacher2's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]Only provincial eastern Mass inhabitants refer to the campus at Amherst as "UMASS Amherst " , UMASS is simply UMASS[/Quote]

I take from your comment that you are not a Corsair, a Minuteman, a Beacon, or a Riverhawk. Flagship school? Non-flagship school? Let's admit what the controversy is truly about...location, location, location. Keep the hyphenated names so those of us suffering from CRS can keep the campuses - and hence, the teams - straight.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from abd02138. Show abd02138's posts

Just UMass?

The problem with the poor reputation of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst has nothing to do with the "Amherst" part of the name. Everyone in academia knows that several other excellent colleges are located there. The problem results from the historic reputation of UMass as a medicore institution, which alas it was for decades and to some extent remains. This was not helped by the redesignation of state colleges elsewhere in the Commonwealth as auxiliary campuses of the University of Massachusetts (such as UMass-Lowell, UMass-Dartmouth, etc). If you want elite status, then you must embrace elitism. The flagship Amherst campus must be differentiated from the other lesser campuses. Associating to a greater degree with UMass-Lowell is going in the wrong direction.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrp. Show lrp's posts

Just UMass?

Get rid of the UMass name and image altogether. The flagship school should be re-named Massachusetts University. "UMAss" sells the school short locally and across the country, although it has a national appeal. I'd like the school to be known like California (Berkeley), Michigan (U of M), and North Carolina (UNC). No one calls the U. of Michigan UMich!! we should respect our state university by getting rid of "UMass" while the topic is hot! I could care less about the mascot. Nothing wrong with the Minutemen!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrp. Show lrp's posts

Just UMass?

I agree with The University of Massachusetts! I just think we need to get rid of the UMass (ZooMass) image once and for all. lp

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsample. Show samsample's posts

Just UMass?

It should stay UMass-Amherst. Unlike the other schools mentioned (Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania), UMass does not have satellite campuses. Each one is a fully separate school. At the others, you can take classes at any one of the satellites just as if you were at your home campus: there's no difference. You can't do that at UMass. If you're at Boston, you can't take classes at Dartmouth without then transferring the credits back to Boston.

The other campuses might be second in the mind of those at Amherst, and second when it comes to state financial support, but otherwise they're independent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LastMinuteman2. Show LastMinuteman2's posts

Just UMass?

Why isn't UMass-Boston still Boston State? Why isn't UMass-Dartmouth still SE Massachusetts? Why isn't UMass-Lowell still ULowell? I would be interested in reading a followup article which explores the history of linking those schools to UMass's brand name. There would be no such thing as "UMass-Amherst" if the other schools hadn't changed their names.

As for the assertion by one commenter that this is about race, that is a terrible and inaccurate statement. The Amherst campus has the same percentage of minority students as Lowell and a higher percentage than Dartmouth (Boston's is highest). The difference is that Dartmouth, Lowell and especially Boston are "commuter schools". They have little or no student housing, and thus must draw most of their students from the local area. Thus, the student body will closely resemble local demographics, whether it's mostly white or mostly minorities. Amherst in contrast can draw its students from anywhere in the world. My first roommate was an Indian who had gone to high school in Japan. College applicants overwhelmingly prefer the on campus living experience, whereas those who choose commuter schools tend to do so for reasons of cost, all other things being equal. Adding more student housing has greatly benefitted Northeastern's image. It is why UMass-Boston is finally adding a small amount of housing at great expense. And it is why Amherst would not want to be confused with a commuter school, which are more frequently associated with hyphenated names in other state university systems.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CambridgeNel. Show CambridgeNel's posts

Just UMass?

Both my husband and I graduated from the Boston campus. We were there in the early 80's before Boston State College was absorbed into our campus over a period of a few weeks--what a horror show for the student of Boston State College.

After graduation, we both earned our Master's at a local private college/university and ended up with rewarding careers, purchasing a home in Cambridge within a year. Neither of us had undergraduate or graduate loans, we worked our way through college and found ways to finance our graduate school without incuring debt. I worked at a local University that paid for my education.

You can call our campus whatever you want. But it taught both of us, as well as the majority of our first generation college attending friends, that education is not about living in dorms and partying from Thursday night through Sunday. We all attended classes and then bolted for our jobs. Living in a dorm would have been nice, but not particularly smart for the debt we would have incurred. All of our friends who went to college with us graduated, found good jobs, bought homes and some are now raising families of their own, going through the college search process with children. How I wish UMass Boston had the program my student wants to study! As a Master's is needed in the field, a low-cost Bachelor's would make so much sense.

Again, call our campus what you want. It did the job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpf63. Show bpf63's posts

Just UMass?

Give the zoo its name back! Lowell was graduating engineers with an excellent reputation back when all UMass was known for was keg parties. Lowell has had the "privilege" of getting the UMass moniker in order to have its funding and programs gutted and redirected to the "flagship", So by all means let UMass Amherst return to being UMass, and UMass Lowell return to being ULowell, funding and all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjleblanc2002. Show cjleblanc2002's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]UMASS- Amherst.

Only the morons from the Boston end of the state seem to think there is more than 1 campus of UMASS. The one and only real UMASS is and always has been at Amherst, going way to when it was only an agricultural school in historical times.

By keeping the Amherst suffix, it allows an easy and legitimate way for graduates to easily distinguish themselves by attending the premiere campus, rather than being lumped in with one of the other lackluster "jewels" of the system (medical center excluded).

I am quite sick of these Bostoncentric students who have no clue what they are talking about. If they wanted UMASS-lite they should have stayed in Boston.

The alumni will never tolerate further attempts to diminish the stature of our great univeristy by further associating it with Boston.[/Quote]

I don't know about you, but I consider UMASS LOWELL just as REAL of a UMASS as Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth and Worcester.

I also wouldn't necessarily call UMA the "premiere" campus and that the other campuses are lackluster. each campus has its strengths and weaknesses, UMA included. Personally, I like Lowell better, and not just because I graduated as an undergrad and a grad student, but because it has a more personal touch. I don't feel like a number, UMA is so big that its very easy to get lost there (both physically and metaphorically speaking). Friends of mine who go there have told me that they feel like a number, and speak of disconnect from administration and issues, while they do like the party life and the acedemics too.

Alot of times, students who have to go to states schools tend to go far away from home, on purpose, to taste freedom, not necessarily for the fact that a school is the "flagship campus". Flagship campus is only an important moniker for those who feel it is important, sports and research grant wise.

Whether UMA stays the way it is or changes it's name to UMass, it's still going to get the most funding compared to the other campuses, because it is bigger. Chnaging a name won't change the levels of funding, meager though they are.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjleblanc2002. Show cjleblanc2002's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]

Get rid of the name when the other campuses improve. I sent my son to the Amherst campus because I didn't want him to attend one of the others. A look at the U.S. News rankings tells the story: at this point, Amherst is superior.

It would be wonderful if the university system as a whole improved, but in the meantime, leave Amherst alone. I paid for that name for my son's resume.

[/Quote]

What if your son wanted to be an engineer, would you still have sent them to UMA?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjleblanc2002. Show cjleblanc2002's posts

Just UMass?

[Quote]The problem with the poor reputation of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst has nothing to do with the "Amherst" part of the name. Everyone in academia knows that several other excellent colleges are located there. The problem results from the historic reputation of UMass as a medicore institution, which alas it was for decades and to some extent remains. This was not helped by the redesignation of state colleges elsewhere in the Commonwealth as auxiliary campuses of the University of Massachusetts (such as UMass-Lowell, UMass-Dartmouth, etc). If you want elite status, then you must embrace elitism. The flagship Amherst campus must be differentiated from the other lesser campuses. Associating to a greater degree with UMass-Lowell is going in the wrong direction.[/Quote]

And if you're an Engineering major, associating with UMass Amherst is the wrong direction.

I do agree that redesignating the other campuses wasn't the best idea, but it's done now, and we have to live with it. All this does is create even more anomosity between the 5 campuses, and what happens if Salem State joins the UMASS system, as the rumors suggest they want to?