Medicating students to get through H.S.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

I wish I knew - my kid has been on meds since 3rd grade as his school basically told me to put him on meds or he wouldn't be allowed to attend. He wasn't bad, just hyper as most little boys are. I have tried many times since then to get him off them, but his doctor keeps telling me to keep him on them to get through high school. I took him off for a few months and it really showed on his grades and all his teachers would complain that he was "inattentive" - I wish there was a better solution. It seems meds are such a quick fix for everything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Or, in my case and I'm suer many others, have one parent that has to have two jobs just to get by!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

I disagree. I think most people put their kids on ADD meds out of desperation. If the parents were inattentive they wouldn't really care how they were doing in school. It often makes a huge difference in the success of a child in school.

I agree that there are probably too many kids on meds, but that doesn't mean that they don't help a lot of kids.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phil0670. Show phil0670's posts

Having been on meds in my adult life, temporarily, I would research studies about diets that affect behavior before I put children on drugs. Meds as a last resort

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

Holy cow, where did you work???? Everybody I know on meds is like a zombie. They don't care if we're friends anymore, they don't care about anything at all. One of them even calls them her "I don't care pills." What kind of a world is it where everybody goes around taking pills?

People are different! Some are more hyper than others. That's what makes life interesting. Temperamental people become great thinkers, artists, novelists, scientists, you name it. They won't if they're drugged the whole time. It's disgusting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from taekwondoe. Show taekwondoe's posts

That was well said.� Until we are faced with certain circumstances, we aren't always able to see the larger picture.� I have seen this so many times in my relationships with my husband and with friends.� The things that I used to be passionate about just don't matter as much (the good news is that I argue less!).A lot of families take their kids out of school�when faced with the prospect of medicating them in order to homeschool them.� Schools are more conducive to visual learners who can sit still for longer periods, so young boys end up being handicapped, literally and figuratively.� Mostly female teachers (and I was one for a while at a prep school)� influence the life direction for boys.Meds should be a last resort.� Why can't we have more creativity in schools (more breaks, more opportunity to move around, etc.)?� Low budgets, that's why.� Our priorities are reversed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

My cousin is a teacher and she was just telling us yesterday that, by law, a school cannot tell you to medicate your child.� They can only suggest the child be tested.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from taekwondoe. Show taekwondoe's posts

Great points.� It's easier to do a quick fix than to get to the root of a problem.�� It's often not the best solution, jsut the most convenient.� Long term, the consequences can be horrendous.� My sister's whole system is messed up due to misdiagnosing.� Very sad to see, plys she gained a lot of weight due to her medication.� Plus she lives with labels and it limits her tremendously.I feel for kids that get labeled at a young age.� Hard to shake.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from taekwondoe. Show taekwondoe's posts

Amen.If more parents realized the power they have, and the deep knowledge thy have of their kids, they would be able to stand up and resist what they feel isn't right or fair.It started for me when my son was a toddler.� I had to switch doctors because we didn't agree.� It was better than following a treatment which was an experiment at best.� I don't want my kids' health to suffer due to a doc who isn't quite sure what's up.