New school construction costs!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjachl. Show cjachl's posts

I am curious what people think of these Taj Mahal schools we are building in this state. Rumor has it that Newton is spending $141,000,000 for 1 school, a high school. Reportedly $46,000,000 of that will come from taxpayers from the rest of the state. I find it "interesting" that in one breath we hear how tough things are financially in the state, but then in the next breath we hear "hey lets spend $141 million for 1 school". Is this really about education or is it about "Keeping up with the Jones's".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fudzy. Show fudzy's posts

Get rid of prevailing wage and you could probably build the same High School for 1/3 of that.��It is the Unions and the fact that all municipal work needs to be bid at prevailing wage that puts these astronomical price tags on all municipal buildings.� I want my kids to get the best education they can with the most up to date techonology.� That does come with a price tag.� However, we seem to be penny wise and dollar foolish.� Lets spend 140mil on a High School, then not be able to afford the teachers to put in the classrooms.� That same�school if bid out�at the same�rate as someone coming in to do work on your home, would probably cost about 50mil.� �

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 5quahog. Show 5quahog's posts

Falmouth just blew through 65 mil and that school needs another 30 just to make it useable. This school construction racket is for the birds. Prevailing wage is only the beginning . Mandates, Architects, Change orders, Bad or bankrupt subcontractors, the list is lengthy. Most projected building costs are 20 to 30% shy of actual cost