Parents want son out of special ed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortysomething. Show fortysomething's posts

Another wonderful example of how this state wants to strip parents of the ability to decide what is best for their own children. I have known many parents over the years that were disenchanted with the public school systems ability to address certain learning disabilities. Why should they be forced to stick with a plan that isn't working when they are more than willing to provide special tutoring themselves?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emme8819. Show emme8819's posts

I don't recall reading that this plan isn't working. What I did read is that the child has significant delays in some areas and is a near constant interruption in the classes in which he is mainstreamed. The schools just can't win, can they? If you think your kid needs special ed the school can't or won't give the kid the services the parents think the kid is entitled to. And when the parents are in denial about their own child's limitations and behavioral issues, the school is excoriated for trying to provide services.

I read that the parents of this particular child plan to send him to private school next year. If they are so upset about his getting special ed this year, perhaps they should start private schooling this year instead of next.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sashaabby. Show sashaabby's posts

Let's see... the parents are upset because the teachers record when the child BREAKS THE RULES (chewing gum) or IS NOT PREPARED (no pencil). Now he's showing behavioral issues - in other words, the kid is disrupting a whole classful of students, instead of just affecting his own learning. This family is lucky that the child is on a special ed plan, because otherwise he'd just be considered slow and disruptive, and he'd be getting in real trouble for his disruptiveness instead of having that stuff excused because he's in special ed.

The mother is concerned because HER child is not completing his schoolwork. Did it ever occur to her that maybe SHE should check on his schoolwork? That's what most parents are expected to do, because most kids don't have the added advantage of special ed teachers to keep them on track.

The irony here is that it's often the parents who got their kids put into special ed in the first place. And the plans are reviewed every year or two, so there's ample opportunity to remove the various accommodations that they don't like.

You want your kid on track? Get him on track. You want to get your kid a tutor? Get him a tutor. What's stopping you?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sashaabby. Show sashaabby's posts

Do you honestly think that because this student is in special edthat the parent knows exactly what the students is supposed to bedoing for homework? How is that done exactly? Does the parent call theteacher and ask what the students assignments are or does the teachercall the parent? Do you think the student writes his assignments ina assignment book and the teacher checks it before the student goeshome? Then wheh the student comes home the parent makes sure theassignment is done? Do you honestly think it works that way? NOT!

Actually, as a public high school teacher, I know from personal experience that there are numerous SPED students who have an assignment book, and it is REQUIRED that the teacher check it before the student leaves class. Of course, I don't know if that is an accommodation that this particular student has; but if it's in the plan then the teacher is legally required to do it. And yes, I do think it works that way - because I have to do it every day. In addition, many (if not most) middle and high schools have websites on which teachers are required to post assignments.

Teachers don't have time to form any communication tool. Theresponsibility lies upon student. It the students fails oh well, it isthe student or the parents fault.

If a parent tries to communicate with the teacher and the teacher does not reply, then it IS the teacher's fault - and it will probably become the teacher's problem if the parent informs guidance, SPED, or administration that the teacher is unresponsive. But if the parent just assumes that "no news is good news" and waits until the student fails - knowing that the student needs to be closesly monitored - then, yes, it is the student's and parent's fault.

As far as I'm concerned, one of the biggest problems that kids have these days is that parents far too often think their kids are much smarter and more motivated than they really are. I don't know how many times I've heard "he's a really good student" and "he's going to Genius U to study brain surgery" and I look over and the little genius is counting on his fingers. Let your kid BE what your kid IS, and help him to do that as well as possible.

(I'll get off my soapbox now.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Matriarch, you are clearly very bitter from your own experiences.

I was a high school (math) teacher, so I lived that perspective for a decade. For the last several years I have been a parent and a private tutor, so I lived those perspectives as well.

Teachers have very limited opportunities to influence students. That relationship is often adversarial, with students complaining that their teacher is "unreasonable" and teachers complaining that their students are "irresponsible". If a classroom has rigid rules and strict standards, the students comply but complain. If the policies are more lenient and expectations lower, students cut corners. It is a rare teacher who can consistently create a classroom atmosphere in which students do everything they need to learn and succeed and are happy about it. (In my own experience I was able to achieve that ideal with some groups, not others.)

As a tutor, I help students master the concepts. Yet there is also a strong undercurrent in my work of reframing their attitude from, "this is homework I have to get done" to "these exercises will help me learn the material". The farther I can tease students away from complaining about the teacher and worrying about their grades, the more success they have. More fun, too.

It is easy for parents to say, "the teacher should be doing this for my child". Unfortunately that is often impossible in a 25-on-1 classroom setting. Some districts and many private schools are willing to hire enough teachers to bring class sizes down below 15, but most don't have the resources to do that. Divide a 50-minute class among 25 students, and the teacher has enough time to individualize the lesson for a grand total of two minutes per student. Ten minutes per week, if the teacher spends no time working with the class as a whole. That is grossly insufficient for the kind of individualization that makes education work. (Even the 60 minutes/week that I spend with my tutoring students is barely enough for a fast-paced class.)

By and large, teachers are idealistic individuals. Most, if not all, could make more money with better benefits and shorter hours if they were working in private industry. Thus my primary reason for leaving the profession -- couldn't afford to continue working 60-hour weeks once I became a parent. If you feel they are dismissive, it is likely an indication that they are frustrated. I seriously doubt they were there for the paycheck.

Sections
Shortcuts