Separating the boys and girls

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Boston Superintendent Carol Johnson said gender-specific programs will be one strategy to address the achievement gap in public schools.

What do you think of teaching boys and girls separately?

Read the article

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from championsbaby. Show championsbaby's posts

When something like alcohol is taboo for kids they tend to go crazy when they get their hands on it.� In the world that we live in now, do we really need to segregate our kids?� Boys and ghirls need to mature together to create respect for each other otherwise the gender gap will always be there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mizmorton. Show mizmorton's posts

I'm a public school teacher (HS) and I think it's a fantastic idea. People always think it's such a Draconian measure but it's just separating some of the classes. They would still have electives and lunch together. As a teacher I would absolutely LOVE it. Kids who go to all-boys or all-girls schools don't come out socially stunted or unable to deal with the opposite sex. Most of them say they got a better education.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

I think it is a great idea! A lot of time is spent in school impressing and flirting. Without that distraction maybe these kids will take more interest in their school work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xthirdimpact. Show xthirdimpact's posts

2 words: IT WORKS! People need to stop focusing on the "segregation" aspect of it, and take it from a teacher's point of view! A science program that was "all girls" ran in my home town and one of my parents was the teacher. She found that there was a much more relaxed atmosphere for the girls, as there are some forms of intimidation on them to answer questions, excel in the subject area. By having the girls / guys in gender-specific classes, it creates a more relaxed learning environment. Thats the bottom line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

what a sexist attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Get your head out of the dirt!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvayda. Show dvayda's posts

I guess "Seperate but Equal" is back in vogue. So much for equality. Girls must be protected from boys. That is the life lesson taught here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rjhalpern. Show rjhalpern's posts

It's not that girls must be protected from boys.� It's that all kids can benefit when distractions are removed.� I graduated from Girls' Latin School (now Boston Latin Academy).� We took advantage of opportunities for leadership and excellence that my friends in co-ed schools did not.� Girls took all the roles in the school plays, all the officer positions in clubs.� We argued, debated, questioned in class.� Despite raging hormones, we never shied away from participation because our brains might make us "not date worthy."� We kept that paranoia for the weekends.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I'd like to know what percentage of folks who are against single sex education ever took a segregated class aside from gym.� I attended an all women's college and it was the absolute best educational experience of my life.� It's a shame that so many institutions that once were single sex are going co-ed (like my alma mater) because people think that if their kids go to an all girls high school� or college they will never marry or come out socially akward.� You should know that they come out as strong women and thoughtful leaders.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

My children all attended/attend single sex high schools, we are big believers.� And they are certainly not socially behind when they graduate - that is absurd - they still have plenty of contact with the opposite sex.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jay-mor. Show jay-mor's posts

I'm glad schools are trying different tactics to make sure all kids are successful but what I didn't like was the way boys were talked down to in this article.� My middle school boy concentrates in class, does not need to stand up to read or the repeat instructions back to make sure he heard them.� He probably still likes a good bathroom joke, but knows when it is appropriate to use one.I certainly wouldn't want him to be in a class where they "dumbed down" the process with the implication he can't handle the work and education the girls can.�

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

Let us put men and women together
    See which one is smarter
    Some say men, but I say no
    Women run the men like a puppet show

It ain't me
    It's the people that say
    Men are leading the women astray
    But I say, it's the women today
    Smarter than the man in every way

Chorus:
    That's right
    The women are smarter
    That's right
    The women are smarter
    That's right
    The women are smarter
    Smarter than a man in every way

Little boy sit on the corner and cry
    Old man come and he asked him why
    He said, "I can't do what the big boys do"
    The old man sat down and he cried too

It ain't me
    It's the people that say

Chorus:
    That's right
    The women are smarter
    That's right
    The women are smarter
    That's right
    The women are smarter

Ever since the world began
    Women been banned from the ways of man
    Listen boy cuz I've got a plan
    Give it up, don't try and understand

It ain't me
    It's the people that say

Chorus:
    That's right
    The women are smarter
    That's right
    The women are smarter
    That's right
    The women are smarter

Let us put men and women together
    See which one is smarter
    Some say men, but I say no
    Women run the men like a puppet show

It ain't me
    It's the people that say

Chorus:
    That's right
    The women are smarter
    That's right
    The women are smarter
    That's right
    The women are smarter

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

And, I know I'm going to get attacked for this, maybe during teenageyears girls are better at handling the typical classroom education.�Girls mature faster, that's a scientific fact.� AND, girls are alwaystaught to be "little ladies".� Sit quietly, don't interrupt, etc.�Boys, less so.

No idea if you are going to be attacked for this or not, but you are essentially on the money.� Current high school practice places a strong emphasis on clear, neat, organized work.� High school boys are much more commonly sloppy/careless than the girls, and this is reflected in their grades on homework, projects, etc.� I have no idea whether it is an "essential gender truth" or "socialization", but in the end it makes little difference.� The top high school students these days are predominantly female.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I would worry that grades would go up because they might "dumb down" the classes for boys

Huh?� In my experience, boys aren't dumb.� Just sloppy.� (Speaking in general terms, as there is obviously huge variation between individuals of either gender.)

I agree it would be terrific if we could design our educational system to serve every INDIVIDUAL student.� That always frustrated me as a teacher.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BD1958. Show BD1958's posts

To the aspiring lawyer:� I can tell you what happens in the real world to all those women who attended single sex colleges:� they succeed!� And they succeed at numbers far out of proportion to their numbers.� The Women's College Coaltion tracks the statistics, and has found such things as even though only 10-15% of the members of boards of directors of Fortune 500 companies are women, for example, 80% of those women attended single-sex colleges.� It is no accident that the first woman speaker of the house (Nancy Pelosi) attended a women's college, as did the first viable woman candidate for president (Hillary Clinton).� When I went to law school in the early 80s, my class was more than half women, yet only 3 or 4 of us spoke up regularly, as compared to 20 or 30 of the guys.� Three of the regular women participants were graduates of women's colleges -- including me, as you can probably tell.�� So there is absolutely no truth to the old saw that single-sex education somehow disadvantages women -- all the evidence is that it's a very, very good thing.But, to address the question posed by this article, I do not support separating boys and girls in public schools.� In some public schools where this is being done, the girl's classroom is painted pink and boy's is painted blue, the girls study science by cooking and the boys play with snakes and�frogs�-- good grief!�� Small classes, a rigorous curriculum, longer school days and a longer school year, well-paid and demanding teachers, lots of community involvement and enrichment, and a commitment by everyone involved in education to actively resist gender stereotypes, stop sexual�harassment and sexual orientation bullying, will go a long, long way toward fixing the problems identified in the article.� All those things take hard work and money, however --�while separating boys and girls is a quick fix.� Choosing the quick fix rather than addressing the underlying problems�leads to things like pink and blue classrooms.� Our kids deserve better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

because boys are doing worse in school, segregation might lead to boys getting less challenging work

Actually, there's a bit of that in the current system.� Ask any high school for the gender distribution of their "honors" vs. "standard" level classes, in any subject you like.� Girls represent more than half of the honors track, boys more than half of the standard track.� The only exception to this rule is in math or the physical sciences, when a third "AP" track is split off the top of the "honors" track.� In these subjects, the top boys are more likely to push themselves to take the AP class while girls with similar ability are content to be "merely" honors students.

Segregating by gender could play into that, but it could also work to create an educational atmosphere in which the weaknesses of the boys are addressed (instead of simply being hammered with bad grades) while their strengths are emphasized.� Whether it works correctly or not probably depends on the attitude, insight, and flexibility of the people implementing the strategy.� I'm skeptical of blaming these trends on the "distraction" of having girls in the same room, so I doubt that mere separation will achieve anything.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nautic3727. Show nautic3727's posts

Much more important to a high quality education than separating by sex is positive parental involvement in the educational process.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

I think at one time girls WERE shortchanged - I don't think that is the case any more.� I do think that we need to pay some attention to boys at this time - boys seem to be losing ground.� I think single sex schools are good for both sexes, in my family it has worked out very well, and I think all three of my children have benefitted from it.That doesn't mean it is the only way, just one way.� And I don't think there is currently a�"females as victims" campaign - you cannot deny that women have not always have the educational opportunities they have now.As a parent of both male and female children, as most people are, I don't see anyone trying to lable boys as oppressors.� We need to lose the political rhetoric and figure out a way to provide a good education to all kids.I think the biggest obstacle now is the inequality in education on a class level - but it is not strictly financial funding - how do you get every family to value education enough so that it is a priority, which it clearly isn't to many families.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jenika. Show jenika's posts

Wow, that's funny.� I always excelled in geography and math............and I'm a woman.�