Top 25 highschools in the nation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

The top 25 highschools in the nation were published today and Maine was the only New England state to have a high school listed. We have the best colleges in the world within a tiny radius in and outside of Boston and no highschools could rank in the top 25.

Are you shocked that MA highschools can't crack the top 25? How can we have the best college in the world here but can't get a top ranked high school?

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Departments/College/?article=Top25HighSchools

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Look more closely at the list: there are no schools with open enrollment listed, they are all charter schools or other merit based academies. Although our exam schools should have been in the mix, the list says little about the overall quality of education in the state. Many Mass. public high schools place kids in the Ivy leagues on an annual basis, but they also have kids with special needs whose biggest achievement may be in getting just a diploma. Doing well for all kinds of kids is what is important and this list does not really address that reality.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pajamaslavedancer. Show pajamaslavedancer's posts

[Quote]I am surprised that the Newton Taj Mahal High School didn't make it. I thought that the more money you spend on public education the better the job it does for the students.

NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT[/Quote]

How can something that doesn't exist make a list?

Do you serve any purpose other than being a joke?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotmama. Show hotmama's posts

BLS was #19 last year but this year ranked #27. Not sure why the drop - I believe 10% went Ivy last year and many, many more to other top schools. 97% qualified for the John & Abigail Adams Scholarship. What you read on MSN was only an except of a larger story. See below for more info on Massachusetts schools (i.e. Belmont etc.)

US News & World Report today released its second annual list of America's best high schools, and your school is among them.

www.usnews.com/highschools
    Boston Latin School (#27) was awarded another gold medeal -- one of only two Mass. schools in the top 100 (Belmont HS was #100).
    BLA (Boston Latin Academy) and O'Bryant both earned silver medals.

If you're curious about the methodology:
    http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high-schools/2008/12/04/americas-best-high-schools-methodology.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

The schools on this list are not your typical public schools, they are private schools, merit based, etc. Boston Latin does rank as #27 on the full Top 100 list.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high-schools/2008/12/04/best-high-schools-gold-medal-list.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

All depend what is meassure. I have been researching for 3 months the best high school for my kids in Texas, I am moving out of Boston. I looked at several rankings , most of them measure different variables. For instance, the US news only take in account APand International Bacalaurete, determine the percentage of student enrolled in these programs and the percentage that past the test. Another report, measure how the disadvantage student perform.

The reality is that it is hard to determine where a High school ranks because there is not a national standards. Fot instance, is it the same a disadvantage student in Weston and one in Dorchester? or in the case of AP and IB, just it is matter that the test become easier and everybody pass it. What we need to measure the quality of education are national standards that facilitates the comparaison of different school.

In my case after reviewing 6 different rankings, I was able to determine that in Austin Texas the best options for my kids are Westlake HS and Weswood HS, but considering that in the school distict of Westlake I can buy a house not less than a million dollar the options are zero and I have to send my kids to Westwood HS that in Texas ranked 19th.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from uspatrio1. Show uspatrio1's posts

Because we live in a state where, if you are too good, you need to be taken down a notch. Boston Latin was one of the top ten schools in the nation not too long ago but it was decided that there were not enough minorities testing well enough to get in.
    Enter the Massachusettsiensis Liberalis. This creature thinks that it knows better than all other species and will attempt to engineer society until all are equal.
    Entrance standards were Lowered. After all, we cannot have a school where only Asians and Jews are smart enough to get in, that would make too many people unhappy and doggone it! it's just not good cricket.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheScarecrow. Show TheScarecrow's posts

My own HS alma mater is #35 out of 100 on that list...seems it has been slipping of late. It often ranks high in such lists, the gem of an otherwise woefully incompetent public school system.

That one school may fit the model chosen by that paper isn't necessarily a statement on anything around that school. And let's keep it in perspective kids...it's from US News and World Report. Not exactly a Pulitzer factory.

And who says MA has the best colleges in the nation? I mean, there certainly are some big names here, but let's not conflate the Ivy League designation with quality.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pajamaslavedancer. Show pajamaslavedancer's posts

MA has more of the best schools per capita than anywhere else. Safe to say?