UMass Professor Seeks Admin. Action

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver. Show madriver's posts

Brian, I'm glad to know that someone my age is pursuing a degree and looking at law schools, but I agree with the other poster's sentiment about your universe, and suggest that instead of filing lawsuits and complaints, you concentrate on earning the grades you want. To suggest that there is grade tampering because you disagree with your grade is a bit much (I wonder if you would be willing to have your other grades scrutinized as well - after all, maybe a TA/Professor gave you a break because they were afraid of a suit). Grading is never totally objective, except maybe in a math class.

Interestingly, I just took a look at the Collegian and saw that they are not carrying a story about your latest saga, and note that their writings on your first grade issue were not in support of your lawsuit.

You remind me of the guy who sued his dry cleaner for millions because they lost his pants. I also see some irony with your actions regarding a disagreement with your grade in a class calls "Problems in Social Thought ."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver. Show madriver's posts

When I went to UMass in the 70s I had TAs assisting professors in lectures and running the smaller "discussion" sections. More recently, my daughter has had the same experience there. The TAs also assisted with grading, so it sounds like nothing much has changed there. (Oh yeah - tuition, fees, books and other expenses are MUCH greater than when I went)

BTW, I also went to Babson in the 80s (cost per class was greater than 1 year's UMass tuition) and found the same thing happening.

Everyone should audit their grades and question those that don't make sense - no disagreement there, I've done it myself - and sometimes errors occur. But I think your lawsuit was wrong. Both my kids are in college now, and I tell them to make sure they fully understand how grades will be calculated at the beginning of the semester, to pay close attention to the prof's introductory remarks, to go to class and to try hard to make valuable input during class (the subjective grading thing). They will be judged subjectively after they graduate also - that's just how things work - and part of their college experience is learning that.

Good luck with law school!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

I'm missing a few facts - I don't see how a lower grade on a single course could lower your overall GPA as much as you state - please provide relevant facts such a # of courses and total GPA as a guide.

Secondly, I can assure you that, as an employer, a small difference in GPA is totally irrelevant, as far as my experience goes. If you are a Summa vs. a non Summa . that might matter, depending on the job, but the difference between a 2.8 and 3.4 matters not.

For example: 5 courses a semester at 3 credits a course for 4 years is 120 credits. At a maximum of a 4.0 per course that equals 480 total GPA points. If you got a 2.0 on one course, then your #### GPA would have been lowered to 3.98.

Perhaps you were only taking a few courses, for a few years . but you don't state the facts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

I understand yopur reponse, but you didn't answer the question - what is the cumulative effect on your overall GPA from that one course .. my calcs suggested it would be de minimus, thus spending huge amounts of time on this would be a waste of time .. better spent getting 4.0's on other courses.

No private employer I'm familiar with would use such a purely arbitrary method of weeding out resumes purely on a GPA - I suggest looking elsewhere for employment if they do.

Sections
Shortcuts