20% pay cuts for teachers, coaches,police,firemen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

The problems facing the Commonwealth and its pension system might be better solved with a temporary pay cut for teachers and coaches.
    It seems this difficult decision would impact the students and parents far less than the cutbacks proposed.It would also keep many good staff members working as a team,a disgruntled and demoralized team,but a team nonetheless.
    It should be noted unpaid furloughs are in place in many states,and these might work in many fields outside education,fire,and police protection areas.
    In addition the governor, legislative branch and judicial branch could also take similar cuts to make the pain equally dispersed amongst the system.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Not going to happen. You can't simply tear up union contracts even on a "temporary" basis. Pension reform is possible, but cross the board pay cuts are not. The problem needs a scalpel not an axe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from remembermadison. Show remembermadison's posts

Time to do away with pensions altogether, like the rest of the business world has done. There is a reason why the private sector essentially eliminated the pension system years ago, there is a reason why we all now have a 401k or IRAs, and there is a reason why all of our accounts are in the gutter now. The risk was long ago transferred from the private employer to the individual worker in the private sector. The pension model became untenable and obsolete for the private sector years ago. So why should teachers, fireman and policemen be treated any different? Is it because their pensions just happen to be funded by the taxpayer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmatthew68. Show kmatthew68's posts

[Quote]so how come all these cities and towns have underfunded pensions?

that means someone else will be paying for you.

why don't you pay 50% of your health care like we do in the private sector?

and get a real job?[/Quote]

Thanks for clarifying what I already knew. Republicans don't consider Teachers, Firefighters, and Policemen real jobs. Everybody got that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Bump

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

[Quote]Time to do away with pensions altogether, like the rest of the business world has done. There is a reason why the private sector essentially eliminated the pension system years ago, there is a reason why we all now have a 401k or IRAs, and there is a reason why all of our accounts are in the gutter now. The risk was long ago transferred from the private employer to the individual worker in the private sector. The pension model became untenable and obsolete for the private sector years ago. So why should teachers, fireman and policemen be treated any different? Is it because their pensions just happen to be funded by the taxpayer?[/Quote]

It is unfortunate that a few, highly publicized cases of greed have people thinking that all public employees get obscene pensions. Also, many people think we don't pay into our own pensions. Bunch of bull.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

[Quote]

Thanks for clarifying what I already knew. Republicans don't consider Teachers, Firefighters, and Policemen real jobs. Everybody got that?[/Quote] That's right, KMatt. Next time their house is on fire, they have a heart attack, or get robbed, they're gonna call "SuperCEO".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

What's your take going to be?
    Is it tax exempt?
    Is health coverage included?
    Is there matching?

a) One percent per year of service for the contributory pension: as long as you wait until age 62.
    b) It depends where you live
    c) As long as you keep paying the premium, yes, you get a medicare supplementary policy.
    d) There is a match on the first few percent of your 401k contributions, as in many 401k plans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from enlighttened1. Show enlighttened1's posts

Pensions are stupid. It is exactly what's dragging the car companies down as well as many city and state governments.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

[Quote]

Please share with us your pension program so we are not misled by the FEW and PUBLICIZED?

What's your take going to be?
    Is it tax exempt?
    Is health coverage included?
    Is there matching?
    State or city?[/Quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

[Quote][/Quote]

My Take??? Funny that you're accusing other of having anger problems.

You might be the angriest, most immature poster on here, and that's saying a lot.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[Quote]Didn't our MA State Reps just get themselves a raise (by law).

Huh.

How's about we start with cutting every State workers pay by 10%.

Then tell EVERY state entitity to cut 10% of the jobs (this includes the legistlature). Get Arlington, Belmont, and Cambridge to share a rep for example.[/Quote]

Why stop there big guy? Everyone should take a 10% pay cut so there is more cash available for investment and building the economy. It is easy to demand it of others: lead the way in this effort and submit your tithe. Can't afford it? Too bad, you should have thought of that beforehand.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[Quote]

Well "Big Guy" we've already taken the paycut and had the layoffs. Big guy.

Since we pay the pols, big guy. It's time for them to take the hit.

Big guy.[/Quote]

I don't believe you have taken a hit at all. Step up and have the courage of your convictions. I am sure your employer would appreciate the extra cash so he can invest in the future. Do your part for the greater good. It's easy to demand from others when you sit on the sidelines. Show some bawls "Big Guy" and do the "right" thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[Quote]

Why stop there big guy? Everyone should take a 10% pay cut so there is more cash available for investment and building the economy. It is easy to demand it of others: lead the way in this effort and submit your tithe. Can't afford it? Too bad, you should have thought of that beforehand.[/Quote]

Reuben, I am not defending anyone BUT I hope I ONLY have to take a 10% (heck sign me up up for the 20%) pay cut. It is much better than the 100% pay cut we are facing!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Teachers on average, make $50-60k a year, and are required to have a Master's Degree within a few years of being hired. Coaches don't make a lot more, in fact, most are either teachers at the school or part time employees. Cutting police and fire OT would help budgets more than taking $10k from a teacher.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmatthew68. Show kmatthew68's posts

[Quote]

Maybe O'Bammys plan will get you some much needed help in anger management therapy... maybe not.[/Quote]

Interesting suggestion coming from someone who's handle is Drunk-Fat-Teddy-K. Ever hear of the psychological phenomenon known as projection?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[Quote]

Well, BG, it concerns me little as to what you believe. While I am up 20% over last year, I am down some 40% from a few years ago. And, it is likely I will take a 10% hit soon.

Again, big guy, I pay the pols taxes. It's time for their hit.

Big Guy.[/Quote]

You are trying to reach into my pocket and I resent it. I work hard at what I do (I teach) and people like you show little respect for our efforts. It's easy to rail against "pols", but there are real people doing good things that you are attacking. I too am disgusted at pension manipulation, details, disabilities and excessive overtime. But I don't get any of that. And yet I get lumped in with the rest. Look at the scheduled cuts (5%) to the teachers in Boston. Think about a 10% cut to a teacher starting out at 35K (while working on a Masters). Sorry you have had a financial hit in the private sector, but I did not cause it. Don't hurt me just because you are hurting. Even with your hit you probably make more than me. So suck it up big guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

Well, my company (dreaded private sector) just went through a 20% cut in corporate staff, and also has suspended merit increases (that's raises), plus suspended 401K match, plus added $16/wk to my health care premium.

I'm lucky to have my job, and I hope my company makes it, when you add this stuff up is comes out to about 7% decrease in my take-home pay. Folks, look at your pay stub and do the math, I should be looking at a 5-7% raise this year, which is average for my field and industry. So using my logic I'm looking at a 12-14% pay cut this spring.

I don't like it, but what's my alternative, at least the unions get to vote and b!tch about it. I had no say in the matter.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bowl. Show bowl's posts

Good post Taco!

[Quote]

Wow. Still a jerk I see.

Teachers don't get paid all that much. And you really don't pay anyone's salary - we all do. And you don't have special ownership over the right of a state's children to be educated so as to have a shot at being a worthwhile participant in that state.

Cutting teacher pay is exactly how you are going to ensure nothing but an endless stream of mediocrity in the institution, as schools will have to scrape harder at the bottom of thge barrel to find anyone willing to do a difficult, frustrating job. We need a structured teacher training program, that involves actual education in data-driven models, as well as an accountability/merit pay system that allows teaching to become a truly respected profession again.

This is chopping off our nose to save our face. I hate the MA state teacher's union as much as anyone - how it can be that participation is mandatory, and teachers don't riot, I just don't understand - but that's really just the beginning of what's wrong with education.

I hope we don't use these hard times as a reason to finally take out all our rage on a broken institution, and screw our kids over in the process. We can borrow strategies used in other countries to bring more of a professional/testing model into teaching, but this is going to have to include better salaries. Maybe if the salaries were higher, and the whole appeal of the job became success, REALLY helping kids, and true respect, the attraction to summer vacations and pensions will wane. I'm all for some kind of health insurance strategy, but they at least need to let the teachers out of all the union crap.

I don't think we need to solve one system's problems by gutting out another, or taking the opportunity to crap on people who are in there trying to do the right thing in life and help kids. SOOOOO much easier to criticize than to roll up you sleeves and do it yourself.

Where's the money gonna come from? Anyhwere else. You destroy a country's education - it's culture - it's doomed.[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[Quote]

You are ridiculous. Just about EVERYONE in the private sector is taking a cut. Many are taking a 100% cut. Why should those who work for govt be excluded from these cuts? Did you get a 3.5% increase this year? WOrking for govt makes you some kind of sacred cow? FU

If it's the money that's important to you, get a job that pays more money. You knew the salary when you took the job.

Big Guy[/Quote]

FU too "Big Guy". I was in the private sector and I made a conscious trade-off when I switched professions in terms of money made in the short run for security on the long term. Many folks entered the field under the same understanding. So you advocating we change that deal (and reduce the salary agreed to) would cripple us. We would get even less wages and probably less security: who would want to join then? And like Taco says: cripple education and you cripple the future. But you don't care about that. It's all about you and your wallet right now.

And besides, you can't simply rip up union contracts. There will be cuts, but not in salary: we will lose staff, mostly the young newbies just starting out and those left behind will have larger classes and kids will have less learning. But you don't care about any of that: it's all about you.

Finally, I don't think you are "big" at all. I think you are quite small.

Sections
Shortcuts