2013 State of the Commonwealth speech

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

2013 State of the Commonwealth speech

Share your thoughts with us on Governor Deval Patrick's speech. He called for an increase in the income tax and a decrease in the sales tax to help fund improvements to education and the state's transportation system. 

Click here to read Boston.com coverage of the speech.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jeseryn. Show Jeseryn's posts

Re: 2013 State of the Commonwealth speech

My reaction? He's ridiculous. It's so expensive to live in this state and the paychecks aren't much fatter than reasonable states. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

If I got a 2% raise I'd be fine with the income tax hike. Alas I'm not getting a raise so he knows what he can do with his tax hike.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IAMPLE. Show IAMPLE's posts

Deval Patrick just gave a terrific speech.   He clearly articulated a vision for the Commonwealth, and he described how to pay for it.     He also proposed significant tax reform.     Impressive!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrixieAnn. Show TrixieAnn's posts

In response to BostonDotCom's comment:

Share your thoughts with us on Governor Deval Patrick's speech. He called for an increase in the income tax and a decrease in the sales tax to help fund improvements to education and the state's transportation system. 

Click here to read Boston.com coverage of the speech.

We have a transportation system running huge operating deficits and our governor's response is to add more trains to the boondocks.  How many people in New Bedford actually want to commute to Boston?  And a train from Pittsfield to New York?  Seriously? We need to fix the mess we have first before we pile on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shanimal. Show Shanimal's posts

In response to BostonDotCom's comment:

I'm glad that a higher income tax is going to allow us to compete with New Hampshires' zero percent rate.

I'm sorry that I'm still not paying my fair share. Please let me know when I am.

Must be some big celebrations tonight in Lawrence, Springfield, Brockton, Fall River, and New Bedford. We always hear that illegals pay their (sales) taxes. But they often work "under the table" for cash, and don't pay any income taxes. Now their EBT cards will go further, maybe earn them an extra lap dance each month.

Less sales taxes means bigger checks heading back to brasil, cambodia, poland, and equador. Should be a great boost for those economies.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Entropic. Show Entropic's posts

I'm very impressed with Patrick and I think he shows great courage. He's the first governor in many years who actually cares to govern and take a stand, even it angers many. Unlike Rommey (who started running for Prez, and running away from the state, even running AGAINST the state, within a few months of being elected); Weld (who was bored almost immediately with governing) and Cellucci (who was just incompetent and also looking ahead and dreaming of higher, cushier office, hopefully gifted by his buddies, the Bushes) -- Patrick actually cares to govern the state. He is proposing lowering regressive taxes (sales taxes) and increasing income taxes (so that those with higher income pay more -- a progressive tax). In general, I support this. I want to hear more, I don't want to see another blackhole like the Big Dig -- but I know we need to spend money on infrastructure and education. Brave Gov. Patrick!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjbranchesi. Show kjbranchesi's posts

In response to IAMPLE's comment:

Deval Patrick just gave a terrific speech.   He clearly articulated a vision for the Commonwealth, and he described how to pay for it.     He also proposed significant tax reform.     Impressive!

No, his solution was to increase taxes on those who work, with no mention to curb the outrageous pay and benefits of state and MBTA employees

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpungi. Show jpungi's posts

Get him out of office....NOW!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle10. Show bceagle10's posts

In response to Entropic's comment:

I'm very impressed with Patrick and I think he shows great courage. He's the first governor in many years who actually cares to govern and take a stand, even it angers many. Unlike Rommey (who started running for Prez, and running away from the state, even running AGAINST the state, within a few months of being elected); Weld (who was bored almost immediately with governing) and Cellucci (who was just incompetent and also looking ahead and dreaming of higher, cushier office, hopefully gifted by his buddies, the Bushes) -- Patrick actually cares to govern the state. He is proposing lowering regressive taxes (sales taxes) and increasing income taxes (so that those with higher income pay more -- a progressive tax). In general, I support this. I want to hear more, I don't want to see another blackhole like the Big Dig -- but I know we need to spend money on infrastructure and education. Brave Gov. Patrick!!

Your name should be myopic and delusional at that.  You don't think Deval is dreaming ahead of a higher, cushier office gifted by his buddy Obama??  Anything gov't does in this state is a blackhole- MBTA anyone?  but hey let's give them more money since they have been such a steward to the funds entrusted them.  As for me if my income taxes go up any further I will move out of state - heck I already shop out of state.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IAMPLE. Show IAMPLE's posts

In response to bceagle10's comment:

..... As for me if my income taxes go up any further I will move out of state - heck I already shop out of state.

Governor Patrick proposed to lower sales tax, so you will have less reason to shop out-of-state.   Of course, you can always move, if you want.    Nothing is stopping you, unless you have children in school, and you want them to get a good education.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonmanSouthend. Show BostonmanSouthend's posts

It doesn't seem that long ago the voters voted to decrease the Income Tax to 5% and Felon Finneran ignored the people. Could we have another referendum?  I don't think Patrick should be doing this to the people of Massachusetts when they have just had an increase in FICA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnBarrettGranite. Show JohnBarrettGranite's posts

I disagree to raising the income tax at this time when people are struggling.  If any taxes needs to be raise let put it on the back of all residents and raise the sales tax which effects everyone equally.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P-X. Show P-X's posts

Obviously anything that involves raising taxes is going to be painful, but we do have a real need for infrastructure improvements, and if this is the way we pay for it (at least in part), that's probably something we'll have to learn to live with. I'd be interesting in hearing more about the doubling of the personal exemption, et cetera, and how that would offset the increase (offhand I would guess that it would mean people who make a significant amount of money, of whom there are many in this state, would pay more... they make more money).

As for the people up in arms about this, I'm not saying paying any more won't be incredibly painful for some... but how much more are we talking about exactly, and what would that be worth if it meant generating new jobs in MA? In the end it's about actual math, not people's gut reactions to the thought of paying more.

But hey, maybe the yahoos will depart for NH (where you get screwed on property taxes, but hey, who likes reality). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from P-X. Show P-X's posts

In response to JohnBarrettGranite's comment:

I disagree to raising the income tax at this time when people are struggling.  If any taxes needs to be raise let put it on the back of all residents and raise the sales tax which effects everyone equally.  

Uh, yeah... the latter part of your comment is a fallacy. Poor and middle-income people spend their income, rich people stockpile it. The sales tax isn't as equal an approach as it may seem. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IronManCC. Show IronManCC's posts

So, we'll decrease the Sales Tax, which EVERYONE pays, and increase the Income Tax, which everyone does NOT pay?  And what about raising the Gas Tax for road & bridge repairs?  Governement should be cutting back and stickign with the basics, not finding new revenue to burn through....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheffieldsaloser. Show Sheffieldsaloser's posts

In response to P-X's comment:

Obviously anything that involves raising taxes is going to be painful, but we do have a real need for infrastructure improvements, and if this is the way we pay for it (at least in part), that's probably something we'll have to learn to live with. I'd be interesting in hearing more about the doubling of the personal exemption, et cetera, and how that would offset the increase (offhand I would guess that it would mean people who make a significant amount of money, of whom there are many in this state, would pay more... they make more money).

As for the people up in arms about this, I'm not saying paying any more won't be incredibly painful for some... but how much more are we talking about exactly, and what would that be worth if it meant generating new jobs in MA? In the end it's about actual math, not people's gut reactions to the thought of paying more.

But hey, maybe the yahoos will depart for NH (where you get screwed on property taxes, but hey, who likes reality). 

Here's reality, genius.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/state-and-local-tax-burdens-all-states-one-year-1977-2010

Massachusetts residents have the 8th highest tax burden in the country as of 2010.  New Hampshire?  44th.  Get off your high horse and do some research. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheffieldsaloser. Show Sheffieldsaloser's posts

Here's your reaction.  The fine people of the Commonwealth already have the 8th highest tax burden by percentage of income in the country.  Duval would like to be number one at something, why not this?

http://taxfoundation.org/article/state-and-local-tax-burdens-all-states-one-year-1977-2010

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheffieldsaloser. Show Sheffieldsaloser's posts

Here's your reaction.  The fine people of the Commonwealth already have the 8th highest tax burden by percentage of income in the country.  Duval would like to be number one at something, why not this?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle10. Show bceagle10's posts

In response to IAMPLE's comment:

In response to bceagle10's comment:

..... As for me if my income taxes go up any further I will move out of state - heck I already shop out of state.

Governor Patrick proposed to lower sales tax, so you will have less reason to shop out-of-state.   Of course, you can always move, if you want.    Nothing is stopping you, unless you have children in school, and you want them to get a good education.

Good education - huh?  That MCAS focus is really getting kids the skills they need for real life - not.  That sales tax reduction will be great for the woman ahead of me in Market Basket last week in Mass who bought $300+ in groceries on some gov't issued card.  Oh yeah and BTW I passed the bar on the first time unlike Deval who cleared failed basic math as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I can't see this would go well with the majority of people in the state.  While the rest of the country are looking for ways to cut spending (even CA has done a lot), we are looking to explode the spending.  Is this brave, or is it reckless government piling on burdens on its citizens?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from newtreader. Show newtreader's posts

Besides the EBT crowd, I don't see anyone supporting this tax increase.  It is almost certain now that a referndum to bring the tax rate to 5% will be on the ballot in the next election (maybe when it gets approved the second time, the legislator will not mess with it).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Sigh.... still hammering the working class I see Deval!  Hey Liz, any help here??? 

Raise taxes on those with jobs and supporting the government, while lowering taxes on those who don't support the government with income taxes.  Tax from the middle class some more to fund the freebie gimmie culture.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lane Myer. Show Lane Myer's posts

In response to Sheffieldsaloser's comment:

In response to P-X's comment:

Here's reality, genius.

Massachusetts residents have the 8th highest tax burden in the country as of 2010.  New Hampshire?  44th.  Get off your high horse and do some research. 

Sections
Shortcuts