2013 State of the Commonwealth speech

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hito. Show hito's posts

Re: 2013 State of the Commonwealth speech

In response to Entropic's comment:

I'm very impressed with Patrick and I think he shows great courage. He's the first governor in many years who actually cares to govern and take a stand, even it angers many. Unlike Rommey (who started running for Prez, and running away from the state, even running AGAINST the state, within a few months of being elected); Weld (who was bored almost immediately with governing) and Cellucci (who was just incompetent and also looking ahead and dreaming of higher, cushier office, hopefully gifted by his buddies, the Bushes) -- Patrick actually cares to govern the state. He is proposing lowering regressive taxes (sales taxes) and increasing income taxes (so that those with higher income pay more -- a progressive tax). In general, I support this. I want to hear more, I don't want to see another blackhole like the Big Dig -- but I know we need to spend money on infrastructure and education. Brave Gov. Patrick!!

Yeah he cares so much that my net pay will decrease yet again.  He cares so much, he isn't questioning whether my family will be able to heat their home tonight because of the decrease in pay.  He cares so much, that he isn't wondering whether the decrease in pay will result in me not being able to buy food for my children or pay my mortgage.

Thanks alot Deval - I gonna leave my kids on your doorstep to feed, clothe and keep warm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shags75. Show shags75's posts

the blind loyalty by the Democrats here is the same as it is on a National level...how sad.  Cutting  the unncessary spending is not even mentioned....and there is a lot of it.  How many State employees have meaningless jobs?  I know a few, I'm sure Deval knows of many, many more.  Before squeezing us for everything we have, why not start there.   First thing to go is Deval's Caddy.  He can buy his own car like the rest of us.   That said, I know this is never going to happen, the political system on the national, state and local level is corrupt to the core.   I give up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from abdullah. Show abdullah's posts

My wife and I are both college educated ( i'm an engineer - wife is an RN) and we make over 100K combined. Guess what - we struggle to make ends meet and are living paycheck to paycheck. So now Governor wants to take an extra 3K from our pockets? How will we be able to live in this state? Oh, and don't forget that we already got hit with the federal payroll tax increase as well as higher real estate tax...I give up!!!!

I would love to move out of this state but my whole family lives here. I beg the legislature - please do not pass this tax hike!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hito. Show hito's posts

In response to kjbranchesi's comment:

In response to IAMPLE's comment:

Deval Patrick just gave a terrific speech.   He clearly articulated a vision for the Commonwealth, and he described how to pay for it.     He also proposed significant tax reform.     Impressive!

No, his solution was to increase taxes on those who work, with no mention to curb the outrageous pay and benefits of state and MBTA employees

And expand the MBTA to areas of the state that show need that they require it.  Where is the research showing the demand for public transportation to these areas.  Personally I have to drive and take the subway, because the price of a commuter rail ticket is so expensive I can't afford it.  How will people further out afford these tickets - its cheaper to drive and pay to park.  With a monthly pass potentially being over $300 month not including if you have to pay to park daily at a rail station - it is less money to drive and park in Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hito. Show hito's posts

In response to bceagle10's comment:

..... As for me if my income taxes go up any further I will move out of state - heck I already shop out of state.

Governor Patrick proposed to lower sales tax, so you will have less reason to shop out-of-state.   Of course, you can always move, if you want.    Nothing is stopping you, unless you have children in school, and you want them to get a good education.

Then why is Patrick increasing the budget for education if we have such good education - kind of contradicting yourself aren't you?  If our education is good then there should be no increases in our taxes for this

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Magneto-. Show Magneto-'s posts

This is a wake-up call.

I don't know what Deval could have in mind that would warrant the kind of outrage this is causing, which will absolutley play out in the voting booths during the Senate special election.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hito. Show hito's posts

In response to BostonmanSouthend's comment:

It doesn't seem that long ago the voters voted to decrease the Income Tax to 5% and Felon Finneran ignored the people. Could we have another referendum?  I don't think Patrick should be doing this to the people of Massachusetts when they have just had an increase in FICA.

Not to mention that Patrick promised no increases in taxes a while back.  He plain out lied.  Finneran ignored our vote and Patrick lied to us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruins72. Show bigbadbruins72's posts

It wasn't too long ago that Hizzoner and the Professor walked hand in hand, spoon feeding each other the same old line about how Scott Brown would tax us (The Middle Class)into the stone age, and therefore should not be elected.

“What I believe is that everybody pays a fair share,” Warren said during the last debate, in Springfield. “And that means the millionaires, that means the billionaires, that means the big oil companies. And then we make those investments in the future.”

So apparently by everyone she meant everyone, and that means the Middle class will get hammered again. The incease in income tax will only hurt the middle class, have no affect on the welfare class, and well, the rich will find a way to reduce their taxable income so as to have little concern for this increase.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tims1448. Show tims1448's posts

In response to Magneto-'s comment:

This is a wake-up call.

I don't know what Deval could have in mind that would warrant the kind of outrage this is causing, which will absolutley play out in the voting booths during the Senate special election.

It's too bad it had to wait until the Special Election to play out. I understand the democratic mindset, but this is out of control. We have too many people who *think* they are super liberal because they support Gay marraige, abortion rights, etc.. but it is Soooo much more than that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SickofTolls. Show SickofTolls's posts

Start by allowing the MBTA to go bankrupt and rid our burden of ridiculous pensions.  We pay more money to ex-employees than current.  Must be nice to be able to work for 20 years and retire at a 100% pension regardless of your age.  This is still going on -- lets get real!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hito. Show hito's posts

In response to P-X's comment:

Obviously anything that involves raising taxes is going to be painful, but we do have a real need for infrastructure improvements, and if this is the way we pay for it (at least in part), that's probably something we'll have to learn to live with. I'd be interesting in hearing more about the doubling of the personal exemption, et cetera, and how that would offset the increase (offhand I would guess that it would mean people who make a significant amount of money, of whom there are many in this state, would pay more... they make more money).

As for the people up in arms about this, I'm not saying paying any more won't be incredibly painful for some... but how much more are we talking about exactly, and what would that be worth if it meant generating new jobs in MA? In the end it's about actual math, not people's gut reactions to the thought of paying more.

But hey, maybe the yahoos will depart for NH (where you get screwed on property taxes, but hey, who likes reality). 

I wouldn't have an issue with raising taxes --- if Patrick at least looked to ways of decreasing spending to help pay for roadways.  There is absolutely no talk of decreasing spending elsewhere - instead he talks of increasing spending - free tuition for illegal aliens; increases in education spending for pre-school (whereas it has been proven that after 3rd grade any one step ahead program is lost); increase spending on extending the commuter rail line to areas where there is no proof there is even a demand for it.

There would be no need to increase taxes for the programs he is proposing as there is no proof they are even needed or necessary.  To cut spending why isn't he even considering cutting EBTs payouts for addresses where no one is living?  Or even looking at wasteful spending?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from humina123. Show humina123's posts

Please CALL your political "leaders" TODAY to complain about this tax, spend and corruption fiasco that the "governor" is proposing.  I have done it; it is easy, quick and will help a lot if ENOUGH PEOPLE CALL!  The numbers are:

GOVERNOR'S OFFICE - 617-725-4005

SENATE PRESIDENT THERESE MURRAY'S OFFICE - 617-722-1500

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE BOB DELEO'S OFFICE - 617-722-2500

Also call your local senate and state representatives.  If you don't know who they are, just go on-line to find out, or ask one of the employees at the above numbers and they will tell you.  Don't just complain on-line here, PROTECT YOUR WALLET FROM FURTHER LARCENY -  The people out here that work hard don't need to work harder to fund corruption, waste and mismanagement.  CALL TODAY, be respectful but FIRM!  When I called, I also respectfully requested that the Governor resign.  We would all be better off.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lourique. Show lourique's posts

In response to PetefromNorthofBoston's comment:

Sigh.... still hammering the working class I see Deval!  Hey Liz, any help here??? 

Raise taxes on those with jobs and supporting the government, while lowering taxes on those who don't support the government with income taxes.  Tax from the middle class some more to fund the freebie gimmie culture.

love your post.  could not agree more with you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastCoastNewbie. Show EastCoastNewbie's posts

In response to BostonDotCom's comment:

Share your thoughts with us on Governor Deval Patrick's speech. He called for an increase in the income tax and a decrease in the sales tax to help fund improvements to education and the state's transportation system. 

Click here to read Boston.com coverage of the speech.

This is a thinly veiled redistribution of wealth scheme by the Governor. He's lowering one of the few taxes people in the lower income brackets pay and raising the taxes on people that qualify to pay income tax. 

I'm tired of the social engineering by progressives. There are people that genuinely need assistance, but there are many others who embrace dependency. Once again, people are being penalized for working or being successful. Consumers are rewarded over those that exercise restraint and save.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from truefaith. Show truefaith's posts

Why is Deval acting like the recession is a thing of the past? Who told him that "the worst of the recession is over"? It certainly doesn't feel that way to me or the people I know. We're all still struggling to pay our bills. We've seen nothing but increases in food, gas, transportation and fuel oil prices and increases in fees for everything in the past year. Nobody gets raises anymore and most people that are working are either underemployed or underpaid. We can't fathom how we're going to pay for the increase in price of just about everything and now Patrick wants to add higher taxes while we're all still trying to cope with things as they are.
    What the hell are we supposed to do? Put these new taxes on our already maxxed-out credit cards? Get serious, Deval. You are so out of touch with your constituancy it's pathetic. Your speech last night was so obviously practice for the higher position you hope to attain some day and quoting your "friend" was infuriating to me. You ain't no Barack Obama Deval. You never will be. At least he knows not to kick the middle class when they're already down and struggling to get up again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gcc034. Show gcc034's posts

In response to kjbranchesi's comment:

Deval Patrick just gave a terrific speech.   He clearly articulated a vision for the Commonwealth, and he described how to pay for it.     He also proposed significant tax reform.     Impressive!

No, his solution was to increase taxes on those who work, with no mention to curb the outrageous pay and benefits of state and MBTA employees

Please decribe the outrageous benefits?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from monkeylicker. Show monkeylicker's posts

Mediocre speech

People say he is brave and has courage well this dude did not storm the beaches of Normandy so let's get that straight. The speech was ok and par for a polititian. He is just shifting the transportation costs to the middle class because they have jobs to pay income tax and all the gangbangers and thugs will pay nothing and freeload as the ghetto people do, they know how to manipulate the system. Now the freeloaders will pay less.

The Gov. seems nice enough and I am sure he means well. It looks like people do like him. But he does tend to ramble on a bit and sometimes offers no meaningfull change. This transportation plan, while has merit, should not be paid for by a certain group of people who have had it difficult in the past years to begin with.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bill318. Show bill318's posts

"He is brave".....really

Maybe we have another fake indian in this state!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JML1023. Show JML1023's posts

In response to BostonDotCom's comment:

Share your thoughts with us on Governor Deval Patrick's speech. He called for an increase in the income tax and a decrease in the sales tax to help fund improvements to education and the state's transportation system. 

Click here to read Boston.com coverage of the speech.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

How come Patrick didn't have all these grand ideas back when he was running for re-election. All the same problems he talks about existed then. How come no talk of tax increase back then? Patrick is a coward and an opportunist. If the legislature values their jobs they will not go along with this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickmartel. Show rickmartel's posts

The fact that the head of the biggest union is in favor of it tells me all I need to know. It is yet another attempt by a corrupt state to line the pockets of the well-connected few at the expense of those that actually work for a living. Instead of creating a few "Jobs" that actually mean "Union Jobs" why not bolster the economy and encourage investment that would bring thousands of jobs to the state. There are well-paying jobs that are not union, the difference is, you have to be qualified, and actually do your job to keep it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JML1023. Show JML1023's posts

It's more bait and switch lower the sales tax but raise the income tax. It doesn't solve anything.  Most (working) people are already being taxed out and living from paycheck to paycheck as it is.  Welcome back to 'Taxachusetts"!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnDoeAnytown. Show JohnDoeAnytown's posts

I'm very impressed with Patrick and I think he shows great courage. He's the first governor in many years who actually cares to govern and take a stand, even it angers many. Unlike Rommey (who started running for Prez, and running away from the state, even running AGAINST the state, within a few months of being elected); Weld (who was bored almost immediately with governing) and Cellucci (who was just incompetent and also looking ahead and dreaming of higher, cushier office, hopefully gifted by his buddies, the Bushes) -- Patrick actually cares to govern the state. He is proposing lowering regressive taxes (sales taxes) and increasing income taxes (so that those with higher income pay more -- a progressive tax). In general, I support this. I want to hear more, I don't want to see another blackhole like the Big Dig -- but I know we need to spend money on infrastructure and education. Brave Gov. Patrick!!

I guess that you forgot about Patrick spending a year campaigning for Obama and "running" the state part time.

Tax, spend and dole out. Repeat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Conservative2012. Show Conservative2012's posts

In response to Entropic's comment:  Must be a union member or a state employee.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonvsUtah. Show BostonvsUtah's posts

So let me get this straight...  The Government can not write a budget.  Unemployment for the last 4 years has averaged over 8% (actual unemployment over 12%), Obamacare is going into effect causing the costs of healthcare to go up.  The President has raised Taxes so my monthly pay is going down approx $200.00 and now STATE taxes are going to go up.

Q1.  How is this going to Stimulate the Economy?

Q2.  This is going to reduce Spending by everyone which will even further hurt the economy.

Q3.  This will drive Unemployment UP (who voted for Obama Again)?

Q4.  Seeing that this is going to hurt employers, how many people are going to receive Pay Increases?  How many people did not receive a "BONUS".  

Q5.  Is there anyone else besides me and my wife who are looking at moving out of state?