2013 State of the Commonwealth speech

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tangent. Show tangent's posts

Re: 2013 State of the Commonwealth speech

He is proposing lowering regressive taxes (sales taxes) and increasing income taxes (so that those with higher income pay more -- a progressive tax).

Agree that the income tax is inherently more progressive, even with a simple flat rate, than sales taxes. excise taxes, real estate taxe and fees.  If he was lowering other taxes as much as he was raising the income tax, then I would support it.   Otherwise this is just a power grab.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfgang99. Show wolfgang99's posts

In response to redbarchetta88's comment:

If I got a 2% raise I'd be fine with the income tax hike. Alas I'm not getting a raise so he knows what he can do with his tax hike.

so you are Ok with handing over your raise (if you got one) to the State of Mass?

You must think they do a really great job of spending our hard earned tax dollars!

NOT

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrambled-eggs. Show scrambled-eggs's posts

1. Why didn't he propose this when he ran for Governor ? Nothing has changed in the transit system inthe interim.

2. Where's the pension and benefit reform for public employees? Until the T workers are on the same retirements program as private employees, just say no!

3. Why doesn't he propose shifting the Big Dig burden that was dumped on the MBTA? Those should be paid by gas taxes, but then the MBTA wouldn't be in such bad shape.

4. How many people ride the New York to Springfield train ? How much does it cost Amtrak? The relaity is that new rail service on existing tracks will always be financial losers, and then we'll need "just a little more" to support their operation. It would be cheaper to pay the cab fare for everyone in Pittsfiled who needs to go to NYC.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3924095. Show user_3924095's posts

Just what Massachusetts needs to recruit and retain businessmen and enterpeneurs to this state. MORE TAXES !!!!!! This is really a state that is business friendly!! No wonder our unemployment rate just went up.

TAXACHUSETTS!!!  Way to go!!

New Hampshire here we come!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfgang99. Show wolfgang99's posts

Great job Deval.........

At this rate you can run for president in 2016.

Same thought process as Obama....raise taxes, increase spending, free stuff for anyone that doesnt work.

Obama proved you can win with it (twice)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogabug. Show yogabug's posts

Off the charts on this one! I teach in Boston Public Schools. We do not need more money. All we do is test students to document the spending of the money. I just wish someone would actually look at the data. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kalajen. Show kalajen's posts

This poor excuse for a governor is unbelievable.  Let's see now, I got laid off in '09 after no raises for 2 years, then was out of work for almost a year before I landed a job paying about 15% less than I was making.  I haven't had a raise in this job in 2 years yet because we have no money, and working longer hours for it, so I can't even try to pickup a part time job.  Meanwhile I now have a kid in college, increased property and payroll taxes (oh that's right the payroll tax was only temporary so that reduced paycheck doesn't really count), much higher oil prices, as well as everything that is affected by high oil prices, which is basically everything.  Think I'm starting to feel just a bit squeezed?  And now this? Where are the cuts?  For that matter, how about at least not increasing the budgets?  My property taxes go up to pay for city employee raises because I'm told they work hard and deserve a raise.  I work hard too but I'm just expected to keep on giving, after all its for the children, or its only a cup of coffee.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from saveourskylines. Show saveourskylines's posts

In response to Shanimal's comment: You my friend should run for governor.

In response to BostonDotCom's comment:

I'm glad that a higher income tax is going to allow us to compete with New Hampshires' zero percent rate.

I'm sorry that I'm still not paying my fair share. Please let me know when I am.

Must be some big celebrations tonight in Lawrence, Springfield, Brockton, Fall River, and New Bedford. We always hear that illegals pay their (sales) taxes. But they often work "under the table" for cash, and don't pay any income taxes. Now their EBT cards will go further, maybe earn them an extra lap dance each month.

Less sales taxes means bigger checks heading back to brasil, cambodia, poland, and equador. Should be a great boost for those economies.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from saveourskylines. Show saveourskylines's posts

You call it an overhaul?? It is a blatant money grab and he should be institutionalized fro floating such a lame idea and you at the Globe should have your heads examined if you think more choo choo trains are what this ridiculous state needs. Give us more BIG DIG. Only the union thugs love this boondoggle. Is there an adult in the room?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AboroJohn. Show AboroJohn's posts

the forced Amazon to pay us sales tax....what about all that money. Where is that going? Why not keep it at the current rate? More class warefare....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

My comment is simple.  NO!  No more until you fix all the broken and corrupt parts already in the system.  Stop giving our tax money away to non-citizens.  Stop over paying for union shops on all government contracting.  FIRE incompetent managers who run busted labs and offices.  Actually CUT some jobs and roles that no longer serve the purpose for which there were created.  NO!  NO! to even more taxes to keep funding broken and corrupt operations.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from getinformed. Show getinformed's posts

In response to Entropic's comment:

I'm very impressed with Patrick and I think he shows great courage. He's the first governor in many years who actually cares to govern and take a stand, even it angers many. Unlike Rommey (who started running for Prez, and running away from the state, even running AGAINST the state, within a few months of being elected); Weld (who was bored almost immediately with governing) and Cellucci (who was just incompetent and also looking ahead and dreaming of higher, cushier office, hopefully gifted by his buddies, the Bushes) -- Patrick actually cares to govern the state. He is proposing lowering regressive taxes (sales taxes) and increasing income taxes (so that those with higher income pay more -- a progressive tax). In general, I support this. I want to hear more, I don't want to see another blackhole like the Big Dig -- but I know we need to spend money on infrastructure and education. Brave Gov. Patrick!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from getinformed. Show getinformed's posts

In response to Entropic's comment:

I'm very impressed with Patrick and I think he shows great courage. He's the first governor in many years who actually cares to govern and take a stand, even it angers many. Unlike Rommey (who started running for Prez, and running away from the state, even running AGAINST the state, within a few months of being elected); Weld (who was bored almost immediately with governing) and Cellucci (who was just incompetent and also looking ahead and dreaming of higher, cushier office, hopefully gifted by his buddies, the Bushes) -- Patrick actually cares to govern the state. He is proposing lowering regressive taxes (sales taxes) and increasing income taxes (so that those with higher income pay more -- a progressive tax). In general, I support this. I want to hear more, I don't want to see another blackhole like the Big Dig -- but I know we need to spend money on infrastructure and education. Brave Gov. Patrick!!

This is just another attack on those of us who get up every morning and go to work.  If Patrick had courage, he'd privatize the T and turn their defined benefit plan into a 401K, just like my company did.  I thought they raised the fares on the T to fix issues.  Instead there are more.  A train from Pittsfield to NYC?  Take a bus.  It's probably cheaper. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from getinformed. Show getinformed's posts

In response to P-X's comment:

Obviously anything that involves raising taxes is going to be painful, but we do have a real need for infrastructure improvements, and if this is the way we pay for it (at least in part), that's probably something we'll have to learn to live with. I'd be interesting in hearing more about the doubling of the personal exemption, et cetera, and how that would offset the increase (offhand I would guess that it would mean people who make a significant amount of money, of whom there are many in this state, would pay more... they make more money).

As for the people up in arms about this, I'm not saying paying any more won't be incredibly painful for some... but how much more are we talking about exactly, and what would that be worth if it meant generating new jobs in MA? In the end it's about actual math, not people's gut reactions to the thought of paying more.

But hey, maybe the yahoos will depart for NH (where you get screwed on property taxes, but hey, who likes reality). 

P.X.  Do you really think the new tax will go to infrastructure?  The joke is on you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BstnSprtsFan. Show BstnSprtsFan's posts

Sure, raise the income tax which means the people that actually work for a living have to pay more, while those on the dole get the break in sales tax. That's the only way the government gets money from criminals, those on welfare and all the others that are avoiding paying their fair share. Raise the sales tax and let everyone pay their fair share. Quit shaking down those that actually work for a living or some day soon none of us will be left to pay for all the free handouts to those that don't. Then what Obama/Deval...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from getinformed. Show getinformed's posts

In response to joepublic's comment:

I am continually astounded that this clown was voted in for another term.  I see him as a fairly simple minded, arrogant, and completely out of touch clown.   The people in this state could well be the least politically astute people in the entire Country.

Why are you astounded?  This is the same state that gave us John Kerry, Elizabeth Warren, and everyone else who supposedly represents us in Washington.  Not one elected official represents my interests.  Neither did RINO Scott Brown.  Bottom line, if you are conservative you need to leave this state.  Too bad businesses don't pack up and leave.  Send a message.  This state is UNAFFORDABLE.

Sections
Shortcuts