Another 911 abuse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Another 911 abuse

Over the weekend, a family called 911 because they were lost in a corn maze at Connors Farm in Danvers. This corn maze is awesome and people are given a fairly easy to follow map. After all..it's entertainment not a test.
    The problem came as the couple , with their 3 week old baby, got nervous as the sun began to set and panicked ( even though they were only 25 feet from the exit). Again..the nervousness is understandable.
    What is not understandable is calling 911 to help you find your way out of the maze. From all accounts, the family never called out for help..the farm was still open and people were still in the maze. A simple cry of "help, we are lost" would no doubt have brought sufficient help. Failing that..a simple call to the farmstand would no doubt have brought help. Why call 911?  To me..this is an abuse of the system and a demonstration of a lack of problem solving ability. By calling 911..this family diverted resources away from more serious emergencies. No one's life was in danger and there were plenty of people around to help.
    I guess you can say this is a great example of how we as a society have come to turn to government to solve even our most simple problems. Maybe local police and fire departments should launch an educational campaign about the kinds of things 911 should be used for. My guess is getting lost in a corn maze would not be on that list.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Another 911 abuse

Geez..is oldie commenting on my posts..? I guess he/(she?) hasn't gotten the hint..oh well

Doglady..actually to address your issue of calling..I am guessing you have never been to this farm..or done this corn maze. There are stations throughout the maze where you can text( they had a cell phone) a number to get specific directions out of the maze. It's funny that they didn't do this. Also..you are never far from anyone and there were still people in the maze. A simple cry of "help" would have gotten them a much less dramatic..and much faster response. I am sure some people are okay with this..and that is their opinion. Me..? I guess I have somewhat better coping and /or survival skills. It would never occur to me to call 911 unless I felt myself or someone else was in danger. In this case I would consider it a last resort.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Another 911 abuse:
    [QUOTE]Indeed. Call the maze owner. Try shouting. I'm not sure how simply having young children around is a reason to panic, unless something was happening to one of the children.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]
    Indeed...lol..and the family has already said there was nothing wrong..no one was injured/sick..they just panicked. Not to mention as I stated earlier...there are stations throughout the maze where all you have to do is text a number and you get directions...not to mention everyone is given a pretty easy to follow map. Sometimes you have to shake your head...lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]October 12, 2011 Lost in the stalks: Couple, infant rescued after 911 call By Ethan Forman Staff writer The Salem News Wed Oct 12, 2011, 05:05 AM EDT DANVERS — Darkness and mosquitoes were descending when the teary Everett mother lost in the 7-acre Headless Horseman maze at Connors Farm dialed 911. "I'm so stuck at Connors Farm," the mother told police. "I don't see anybody. I'm really scared. It's really dark, and we've got a 3-week-old baby with us." "Just relax, calm down. Your husband is with you, right?" dispatcher Jamie Mondalto replied. "Yes, but my baby ..." said the mother, whom police declined to name. The seven-minute, 22-second tape recording of that 911 call on Monday night was released yesterday as news crews and TV cameras descended on the Danvers farm, following publication of an item in The Salem News yesterday about the couple lost in the corn maze. They were located by a K-9 officer several minutes after the 911 call. It was near closing time, but still daylight, when the couple and their baby entered the corn maze. But after they wandered around for more than an hour, darkness fell; and when they couldn't find their way out, the mother started to panic. The couple thought they were lost in the middle of the maze, but as it turned out, they were only 25 feet from Valley Road. Though they could see lights in the distance, they could not tell where they were from inside the maze. "They were almost out of the maze, but they did not realize it," police Sgt. Robert Bettencourt said. It was Mondalto's job to keep them calm until help arrived. "He did an excellent job calming the family down," Bettencourt said. Mondalto asked the mother if he could speak with her 42-year-old husband. "Could you just calm your wife down and reassure her help is on the way?" Mondalto told the husband. Mondalto asked the husband if the maze was still open, and the husband said it closed at 6 p.m. "Don't let your wife freak out, OK?" Mondalto told the husband. A K-9 unit was responding, he told them, and he asked the man to cry out, "Hello K-9," every so often so the responding officer could locate the couple. Eventually, the husband heard the police dog, Falco, barking in the distance. "I hear the dog," the husband said. Soon, K-9 Officer Justin Ellenton could be heard yelling to the couple to stay put. Ellenton was on duty at the time of the call but did not use Falco to track the couple, Bettencourt said. He just followed the sound of the husband's voice. "Never again," the mother could be heard saying, as she and her family were about to be located. "We thought it would be fun, but instead it's a nightmare." She also said it was embarrassing to have gotten lost in the maze. The mother and her husband said they had expected an employee would come around and check on patrons. "No one came around and checked," the mother said. This is the fourth year that farmer Bobby Connors has run the maze at the family farm, on a field across the street from the farm stand. "It was after hours. We just let people take their time, and we don't rush people out of there," Connors said. "We want them to get their value." If there are any cars left in the parking lot, an employee stays until everyone is out, he said. Connors said the incident managed to draw a new type of tourist to the corn maze: television news crews. Staff writer Ethan Forman can be reached at 978-338-2673, by email at eforman@salemnews.com or on Twitter @DanverSalemNews. Copyright 2011 SalemNews.com, Salem, MA. All rights reserved.    
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the family is acknowledging that perhaps they would have handled it a little differently in hindsight...especially since there were people in the maze and employees on site. I am sure the others in the maze were surprised to see emergency crews..lol..at least it gives everyone involved a good ..funny story to tell over Thanksgiving dinner...I am sure the police were simply "thrilled" to get the call and are probably still shaking their heads .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]People go to emergency rooms all the time convinced they are having a heart attack when in reality they are having a panic attack.  Let's have some empathy, and remember there was a 3 week old infant involved.
    Doglady, apples and oranges. No one was in any danger. You and I are obviously going to disagree on when it is appropriate to call 911. I will even give that I would give the family a pass if they had panicked and called the police or fire on their normal business line. I strongly disagree that this was a 911 situation..but perhaps you and I have different definitions about what constitutes an actual emergency. In any event..I am not going to change your mind and you are not going to change mine..so let's just leave it at that and move on.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

lol..Right Greg...and the more hear about it ( and now it's on the national news..lol) the more I shake my head. I don't know if you've ever been in a corn maze..but I have and they are a blast. When the mom stated she could see lights from the road..you have to wonder why they just didn't head to the road. It is possible to walk through the cornstalks..and why stay on a path if you feel your safety is in jeopardy.
    I agree that it's a mother's right to panic when it comes to their kid...I've done my share.....but yes..I guess if I were prone to panic in "getting lost" situations..the last thing I would do would bring my baby..at the end of the day..to a corn maze..

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can't add anything new about the 911 issue, but about walking out of the maze through the corn (which I've heard a lot of people suggest they could have done), I've been lost in a cornfield when a compass lesson at summer camp when horribly awry.  I was about 13, and what I remember most about it (aside from emerging on the other side in a pasture with a bull in it) was being all cut up by the corn leaves.  They are surprisingly sharp.  I suppose in an emergency, sure, but it's not as obvious a solution as one might think.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Near my winter home in North Vancouver there's a popular lookout spot about halfway up the mountain that affords a wonderful panorama of the Burrard Inlet. More often than you would probably believe, some assjack gets ledged-up crawling too far out onto the rock and helicopters must be dispatched to rescue them, for which the province happily bills them.

Until we start making idiots pay for their idiocy, all we're going to get is more and better idiots.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This is in the news, again, for some reason; just saw the "News at 6" trailer for Channel 5.  They showed the couple with the baby and said something like, "The real reason they called and why they'd [call 911], again..."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/29594108/detail.html    Noone is complaining about this couple.                "They felt bad. But those things happen to the best of us," Martin told Wicked Local
    Really..? No one is complaining about this couple? That's not what I've heard. If you mean..no one in the forum is complaining..well..you need to give people time to post.
    Actually..those things don't happen to the best of us. The best of us would have enough intelligence to find our way out of an apple orchard without calling 911.