BDC reaches new censorship low

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

BDC reaches new censorship low

BDC thought policers reached a new low today when they disabled comments on Prof. James Alan Fox's blog post on the weekend murders in Boston.  This blog usually draws a good mix of thoughtful commenters, which are often addressed by the professor himself.  I understand we don't have a "right" to anything that happens on these boards, but this move just reeks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Re: BDC reaches new censorship low

In Response to BDC reaches new censorship low:
    BDC thought policers reached a new low today when they disabled comments on Prof. James Alan Fox's blog post on the weekend murders in Boston.  This blog usually draws a good mix of thoughtful commenters, which are often addressed by the professor himself.  I understand we don't have a "right" to anything that happens on these boards, but this move just reeks.
    Posted by Slack

Well, in general I notice that whenever BDC reports on murders (or other horrific happenings), a vast number of board trolls post ridiculous things - When Pheobe Prince committed suicide, half the commenters said "haha! Wuss!  She should have been tougher!"

It's disgusting, but we can all tolerate rough language if the comments don't relate to one of our relatives.  I think BDC's real concern is that if you are parents of the persons killed - who do read the comments - the comments are unimaginably hurtful. 

Certainly, the little turds that post the comments are high school or college kids who haven't suffered a real loss in their life....  BDC may simply feel that given the volume of these worthless peoples' comments, it's better to block comments even if it precludes some thoughtful or sympathetic response. 

People are pretty awful in general, and apparently cannot be trusted with speech as long as it's anonymous speech.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Re: BDC reaches new censorship low

I have noticed that the censorship is also increasing. Previously (as in a few months ago) readers were able to make comments on a vast majority of stories posted, be they about shootings or puppies. All you had to do was click the "View Reader Comments" link at the bottom. Thesedays if there is any "juicy, hot button" story you can almost guarantee there will be no way to post a comment on it.
    An example is the shooting of a 14yr old in a basketball court a few weeks ago, the story was saying how police were appealing to the public for help etc. Yet I wanted to point out that the police did not issue a description of the shooter, despite there being several witnesses, including a relative of one of the victims. Nothing: Not age, height, race, manner of dress, distinguishing marks etc etc. How are we to help if they don't tell us who to look out for? Anyhow, that was just one little example.

I would just like to take this opportunity to ask BDC what their policy actually is regarding allowing comments on stories posted. I could not find how they choose what is allowed and what is not. Who is it thats calling the shots over there, and what do they have to say?

Sections
Shortcuts