Belated Veterans Day Idea

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

I prefer to enable people I know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]Socks and underwear are anabling homelessness, and the mental illness that generally drives it?

Who knew?

so, you've worked with this organization then, since you know its clients?[/Quote]

Funny how you chose to only list mental illness. Everything I read regarding mental illness states approximately 20-25% of the single adult homeless population suffer from some form of severe and persistent mental illness. What about those who are homeless due to...
    Lack of affordable housing
    Non-living wages
    Domestic violence
    Substance abuse
    Job/income loss
    Veterans with PTSD
    These are just some stats I pulled from a place called Rosie's Place. Not sure if you've ever heard of it. I think they know a thing or two about homelessness.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

[Quote]

Funny how you chose to only list mental illness. Everything I read regarding mental illness states approximately 20-25% of the single adult homeless population suffer from some form of severe and persistent mental illness. What about those who are homeless due to...
    Lack of affordable housing
    Non-living wages
    Domestic violence
    Substance abuse
    Job/income loss
    Veterans with PTSD
    These are just some stats I pulled from a place called Rosie's Place. Not sure if you've ever heard of it. I think they know a thing or two about homelessness.[/Quote]

I have no problem supporting charities, however, I prefer to choose my own charity to donate to. And I already give up a chunk of my paycheck to the government, who in turn, gives it to those less fortunate.

I only wish I could control my giving a little more, and be as selective as I want with my own money. And don't forget, mental illness doesn't only effect the homeless, there really are no boundaries for mental illness.

Everyone should have the right to give to whomever, but this is not the place for free advertising, Taco......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Hi, Taco. Bless you for your interest in helping Veterans. I'm not specifically familiar with Adopt-a-Vet, but many charities and Fraternal Organizations have adopt a vet and other programs for homeless and hospitalized veterans. You could also approach a hospital or shelter directly to work as a volunteer, make a cash donation, or make a gift of a specific item, e.g., a TV for the day room. There are many needs, great and small.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    i'm just trying to find a good place to get involved with, and i thought somebody here might know something. turns out all they know is how to crap on helping people. nice folks.
    [/Quote]

I guess it depends on how much time/money you're willing to spend helping people. I have a friend who reads to prisoners (I am hoping she is not doing this to meet men). I know people who shelve books at the local library or serve food in a soup kitchen. But, if you have the money, helping the homeless is a wonderful cause.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

http://anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/

The above is the best place to help our great men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Click above and send a care package. They certainly deserve our support.
    Thanks...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from windjamer. Show windjamer's posts

mach1

Thanks for passing that information. And thank you all for your support to the men and women who served our great country. I would like to say to you all, Semper Fi!

Sections
Shortcuts