Bodybuilding firefighter seeks disability

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALFMAN1000. Show ALFMAN1000's posts

Lites5150- I agree. I sponsor some firefighters in my town for various activities associated with firefighting. Many of you are good guys. However, there are 102 in Boston who have claimed disablity when in a superior's job for a brief period. I have worked full-time in the private sector for 35 years and I cannot recall one person being injured while filling in for his/her boss and I work with hazardous materials. In fact, of the approx. 500 people with whom I have worked, only one has left the job on permananet disability and she had terminal cancer. Only a small number- perhaps 10 have claimed even short term disability.

If you guys do not want to be painted with a broad brush then you have to start pushing your union for better oversight of workers comp cases. and you need drug testing, etc. The same things people in the private sector have to do to make a valid claim. Otherwise, people will see many of you rightly or wrongly as crooked and lazy.

On a separate note, if the globe wants an eyeful, they should start looking at sick time and disbability of prison guards, etc. That is jsut as bad as the firefighters.        

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffd. Show jeffd's posts

This is exactly one of the reasons we are in the financial mess we are in... we should start with removing pensions for state workers, take a hard look at insurance companies and what we are paying for unempoyment and disability insurance and stop paying anything for illegal immigrants... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from benny99. Show benny99's posts

[Quote]I am working for the city, fresh out of college.  I asked myself why do I have to pay union fee, i dont' need the union.  I have the skills, and put in 110% everyday.  But w/o the union, my salary would stay put, the union negotiate my raise, which about 2-3%.

So, the union benefit is there.  So, look at other people perspective before you make a comment.[/Quote]

Good god!  Form a complete sentence.  You're not texting a friend.  You must have went to one of those paper mill colleges the cops use to boost their Quinn Bill pay.  I get 4 % raises in the private sector.  I can assure you, if my pay doesn't go up,  I'll go work somewhere else.  Don't let a room full of goons tell you the sun won't rise without them.  I back trade unions completely.  They provide a skilled service and negotiate in good faith with a REAL management structure.  I love how the BFD supervisors are in the same union as the regular jakes.  No conflict there right?  The whole arrogance behind it is what gets me.  These guys are in the middle of contract talks and every week someone screws up.  They don't care because they don't have to!  They should at least realize they're making a bad name for themselves.  In the court of public opinion, it will it will reach a tipping point.  It already has.  You guys get out and vote, I'll give you that.  That's what keeps the machine intact.  Keep making headlines and see who starts voting.  The tide is turning guys. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from keblensis. Show keblensis's posts

If the rest of the Boston Fire Department looked like that, I'd set stuff on fire just to watch them come at me with their giant hoses and glistening bodies to the rescue.  He can hoist me on his hot manly shoulders any day.  Since 1986, this strapping jewel of a man has been more than eager to thrust himself into danger: hot, tight, fiery danger.  Are we really going to discipline a man who so truly understands the value of a good weightlifting regimen?  Not to put too hard a point on it, but if only our public officials looked more like this Hercules instead of like Teddy Kennedy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from car402. Show car402's posts

unfortunately someone like this ruins it for the firefighters that do an honest job.  he should be punished somehow....but probably will get a slap on the wrist.  PIG.

more and more about ripping off the taxpayers of this state...so what else is new right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I can think of a great place for this bum where he can lift weights all day and doesn't have to work...

W-A-L-P-O-L-E

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from david02122. Show david02122's posts

Personally, I am disgusted with the whole BFD/union ordeal.  It is obvious this has been going on for a long time and those who cheat the system should suffer the consequences of lying, collaborating with Dr.'s, union leaders and stalling to correct this unconscionable behavior. Mr. Arroyo stands out in his blatantness and expectation that no one will find out or will do nothing to him.  I hope the "real leaders", not the union false leaders or Hiz honor's cronies.  Let the games begin!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from t. Show t's posts

no, it shouldn't be denied. we should all get disability. we can then celebrate with an outdoor fire, some coke and a little whiskey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOfEverything. Show KingOfEverything's posts

OK I can see the benefits of exercise for those "permanantly disabled" civil servants to make their quality of life better......wait....f-ing competitive bodybuilding and can't work a desk job with BFD???  If I were Menino I'd call in the FBI and have the union investigated for corruption and racketeering...... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ridiculous. Show Ridiculous's posts

How isn't this insurance fraud?? He knowingly filed a false claim. He should absolutely be fined and thrown in jail. If the Union backs this guy, they lose the little credibility they had left. I know and respect a lot of Boston Firefighters - they do a tough job and most of them are honest, law-abiding men and women. But bad apples like this need to be fired asap. The doctor should be investigated as well. I agree with other comments. How can the doctor examine someone in his physical condition and not know he is a weight lifter? Give me a break.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HooFlungPoo. Show HooFlungPoo's posts

Firefighters save lives, why does the paper always give them a bad name? havent heard anything good about the fire department in the paper. this seems like a one-sided view on firefighters. It seems like they are easy targets and the media just hammers them down, but when they need to get pulled out of a car or burning building they'll be waiting for their rescue. I dont get why they are so badly publicized when they are working around the clock to save the city. Maybe people are just too stupid and selfish too understand what they do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ihateregistrations. Show ihateregistrations's posts

I don't think this guy should be bothered.  He's only doing what good union hacks to every day in every county of MA: getting paid as much as possible for doing as little as possible.  It's the union mantra, after all, right there next to the "Don't kill the job!" attitude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyt. Show tonyt's posts

I think that everyone is being too hard on him.  As a firefighter, isn't he, after all, a "hero"?

In fact, I thought they all were, and that's why we pay them high 5- and low 6-figure salaries to sit around the station house cooking elaborate meals ....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from matmgr1. Show matmgr1's posts

As the old rock and roll station used to say "the (PR) hits just keep on coming".

What other disgraceful epsiode is going to occur?  It is just too bad that all this negative garbage is still occurring.  I have friends and relatives that are firefighters and they are just disgusted with the Boston firefighters.  The suburban fighters have just a better reputation.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajo12. Show ajo12's posts

1) I hate that once again a union is supporting bad behavior and/or illegal actions.
    2) This guy needs to be released of his employment, no questions asked by the union.
    3) All taxes which would have been received MUST be paid.
    4) He should be brought to court and tried by a jury of his peers.  This is blatant insurance fraud and he will be found guilty.
    5) The doctor should be investigated too. He more than likely abuses this type of practice.

Note, I am a union supporter but in no way condone this type of activity.  This is another example of the negative impression(s) unions in general can make on society and why a number of people do not support them. They are an embarassment to themselves and supposedly what they stand for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mdefuria. Show mdefuria's posts

There are probably 100's of vets coming back from Iraq that can't get jobs as fire fighters that they want, instead a D-bag like this guy gets the job. Put him in jail and make him pay

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjcronin1. Show mjcronin1's posts

I'll support my local first responders until they betray the trust I have in them.  If there is a systemic substance abuse problem or if fraudulent efforts to gain disability are present, they will interfere with the professional's ability or willingness to respond in a dangerous situation. That will put me or my family at risk and is not acceptable.  Like it or not responders are held to a higher standard of morality and behavior and when they fail to live up to it we are angry.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mabroman. Show mabroman's posts

This is criminal.

Let's hope the Feds indict this guy and all the other crooks in the Boston Fire Department who are scamming the system.

The feds need to send a message to these guys and all the other Unions in Boston that this sort of crap is going to land them in jail.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

[Quote]Just read the article. Makes me sick. Blatant, fraudulent, deceptive, not to mention ILLEGAL waste of state taxpayers money 
    Punishment; pay it all back or go back to work and perform full time duties without pay until such time as debt obligation is fulfilled. 
    [/Quote]

I agree, it is deplorable that anyone gets away with that.  If he can lift the weights to get muscles like that, he can work as a firefighter.  If not, an independant doctor should prove otherwise. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mabroman. Show mabroman's posts

This is criminal.

Let's hope the Feds indict this guy and all the other crooks in the Boston Fire Department who are scamming the system.

The feds need to send a message to these guys and all the other Unions in Boston that this sort of crap is going to land them in jail.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from matmgr1. Show matmgr1's posts

It will be interesting to see how the union responses on this latest hit on the firefighters.  This guy should be in jail for pulling this insurance fraud. 

We will see what kind of answer we get.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Conley420. Show Conley420's posts

Johnboy was right on the mark.  Charge him with  insurance fraud and make him pay back every cent he took from the taxpayers.  Seems like we need more PIs hired  to investigate all these crooks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skibum10. Show Skibum10's posts

I agree with all the comments above, he deserves some jail time, a heavy fine and a re-payment of all the money collected while not working.  He is a disgrsace and I don't blame every firefighter for his actions.  I do think the doctor was paid off and he should also be charged with insuance fraud.  I also think the Union should be fined.  Think about it this way, if it costs other firefighters money, someone is going to step up and blow the whistle on this guy.  Unions are the biggest waste of time. They were helpful to workers who couldn't stand up for themselves to get the proper benefits they deserved in the mid 1900's.  Now, they are just losers with a big mouth that go after taxpayer money for nothing to show for it, but opposing things that make sense.  Such as drug testing for a civil servant, knowledge of a firefighter who is on injured leave that is not only, not injured but is making money in another profession.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from willjamill. Show willjamill's posts

It is amazing that people can get a doctor to write he is disabled.  I agree, the doctor should be in trouble too.  It is a horrible state that we are in.  I respect firefighters, but do wonder why they are so against drug screening, etc.  Do they have something to hide?!  If not, then why wouldn't you do it?  Looking at this idiot, I would guess he took a few steriods in his life.  Unions, like the State's welfare system, only rewards bad behavior.  Why do unions have so much "pull?"  Why are those job more important than others who do similar jobs?  It is just so disgusting what people get away with.  If they do take away his money, make him pay back the money, etc., how long do you think it will take him to say he is being discriminated against?!  That always comes in handy for these low lifes.  I feel very sorry for the wonderful firefighters out there whose profession is tarnished by jerks.  You are all heroes in my book and thank you!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMayorsOffice. Show TheMayorsOffice's posts

Well, that's what we get when we hire 1 for 1. Competitive civil service exams should be equil hire for equil score. We have not been doing that for decades. The cheating promotional exam was done by a group of minorities too, oh, that didn't come out yet? Other minorities were and have been doing it in other cities. You get what you pay for. Society is lowering their standards to satisfy a minority.

Sections
Shortcuts