Bodybuilding firefighter seeks disability

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMayorsOffice. Show TheMayorsOffice's posts

Our office is attacking the Boston Firefighters because the mayor messed up big time when he GAVE them the contract before the democratic National Convention. He did it to SAVE FACE, his face. Now he's attacking them any way he can to cover up his BIG mistake. Our office didn't do any homework and messed up. It's all the Mayors fault

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMayorsOffice. Show TheMayorsOffice's posts

Our office is attacking the Boston Firefighters because the mayor messed up big time when he GAVE them the contract before the democratic National Convention. He did it to SAVE FACE, his face. Now he's attacking them any way he can to cover up his BIG mistake. Our office didn't do any homework and messed up. It's all the Mayors fault

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkwollner. Show rkwollner's posts

Since when is $35k (starting pay) "high 5- and low 6-figure salaries"?

Get your facts straight before you start.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston5911. Show boston5911's posts

This guy should be in jail period. And if the union wants to gain back an ounce of credibility, they will lead the charge. YEAH RIGHT. They will at best case say nothing, or more likely defend him, after all, a doctor told him he was disabled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gatrby. Show gatrby's posts

This is probably the most ridiculous "What do you think about this heinous thing" comment areas I've ever seen on this site. Is it bad what he did? Absolutely. Is it quite obvious he lied about his disability? Absolutely. Should he be fined and perhaps jailed? Absolutely. There is nothing really to discuss here except for numerous people to say how offended they are when they (finally) see hard evidence of something like this happen. This is just another sad case of someone trying to get something for nothing and cheating the people of their taxed dollars.

Examples should be set for all that attempt to defraud a state. This goes for the people that get handicap stickers or placards for their cars and have no problems getting around whatsoever. It's ridiculous the amount of people I see with these things and they park right out front and just jump right out of their car as if Jesus himself struck their car with go-go juice and healed them that second. It's a lie and you're defrauding the state my friends...just like our dear friend Mr. Arroyo here. I hear they can lift weights in prison so hopefully when he gets out in a few years, he can win a tourney and perhaps pay back the money. Schmuck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Some interesting comments here - many of which seem to imply that civil servants are the only ones capable of disability fraud.

I speak from direct experience managing disability claims both long-and short-term for both public and private clients.  There are hundreds of thousands of people out there living off of disability payments; most are legitimate; many more are not. 

Those people (and their doctor enablers) are defrauding insurance companies out of millions every year.  Curious where that money comes from?  Higher premiums, which lead to higher costs, which are passed on to the consumer.

Throw a stone in your neighborhood, and chances are good that you'll hit someone who either is on disability or was at some point.

I refuse to point the dirty finger at firefighters and other civil employees until the private sector comes to terms with their own complacency.

I should also say that legitimate cases of disability are the ones who suffer the most from rampant fraud.  Anyone who has not been hurt to the point that they couldn't work should probably shut their mouth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from melli_fera. Show melli_fera's posts

[Quote]

Why are you making this a race issue? I know plenty of lazy, entitled “white” guys taking advantage of the department too. Stick to the topic. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

[/Quote]

I didn't see this as racist at all... just that his uncle served on the City Council... looks like you just brought race into it, my friend...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]This is exactly one of the reasons we are in the financial mess we are in... we should start with removing pensions for state workers, take a hard look at insurance companies and what we are paying for unempoyment and disability insurance and stop paying anything for illegal immigrants... [/Quote]

In some states, the worker can lose their pensions due to prolonged disability - the benefits offset each other.

The insurance companies have only as much control as the documented plan allows them.  The rest is up to the employer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tux611. Show Tux611's posts

He must be disabled...the only thing he can manage to put on every morning are his skivvies...  the pain must be unbearable.

I feel badly for the honest firefighters who must feel powerless to speak out against what they recognize as union abuses.  Where do you go to complain when your supervisors are in the same union?

Take the approach Ronald Reagan took with the air traffic controllers, then re-interview every "former" firefighter first with a copy of their absences, disability claims, etc. out on the table for all to see.  Re-hire the honest workers, cut loose the dead wood.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]I agree with all the comments above, he deserves some jail time, a heavy fine and a re-payment of all the money collected while not working.  He is a disgrsace and I don't blame every firefighter for his actions.  I do think the doctor was paid off and he should also be charged with insuance fraud.  I also think the Union should be fined.  Think about it this way, if it costs other firefighters money, someone is going to step up and blow the whistle on this guy.  Unions are the biggest waste of time. They were helpful to workers who couldn't stand up for themselves to get the proper benefits they deserved in the mid 1900's.  Now, they are just losers with a big mouth that go after taxpayer money for nothing to show for it, but opposing things that make sense.  Such as drug testing for a civil servant, knowledge of a firefighter who is on injured leave that is not only, not injured but is making money in another profession.[/Quote]

It's horribly near-sighted to blame the unions - the unions negotiate a disability plan with the insurance company, just like any other company.

The truth (and I speak from years of experience) is that there are many, many more people on disability from private companies, so there is that much more fraud.

Corruption is NOT limited to public servants or civil service unions.

Think before you write....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]This guy should be in jail period. And if the union wants to gain back an ounce of credibility, they will lead the charge. YEAH RIGHT. They will at best case say nothing, or more likely defend him, after all, a doctor told him he was disabled.[/Quote]

The employer has zero right to the employee's medical information unless the patient gives permission.  It's called HIPAA...look it up sometime.  Usually, the employer has little recourse...at least until fraud is discovered.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soupy103. Show soupy103's posts

[Quote]I think it's absolutely nuts that it would even be a question!!  He should be  put in jail![/Quote]
    He is in a BODYBUILDING COMPETITION, when supposedly his body is permanently compromised?  Hello?  Fraud > Jail.  When's the trial?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[Quote]With all the profession has gone through since 9/11, it disgusts me that some in the field take advantage of their status in society. It's a hard job and I'm not knocking what they do, I have a family member that's a volunteer firefighter, but when you read/see stories such as this and the resistance of the Union when it comes to drug testing, makes you wonder what is REALLY going on.
    Just unbelievable and shameful!!!!!!
    [/Quote]
    The reason the union is resisting on the drug testing is due to the nature of how things work. Meaning that the fire dept has a contract and over the years they have fought tooth and nail to get everything that they currently have. It's a give and take situation. You don't give up something without getting something else in return. So, they are being asked to give up something, which means they are asking for something else in return and that is where things are probably stalling out. There is nothing to hide at this point. It's pretty clear there is a problem. They just want to make sure they get something out of any deal that's made.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

[Quote]Well, that's what we get when we hire 1 for 1. Competitive civil service exams should be equil hire for equil score. We have not been doing that for decades. The cheating promotional exam was done by a group of minorities too, oh, that didn't come out yet? Other minorities were and have been doing it in other cities. You get what you pay for. Society is lowering their standards to satisfy a minority.[/Quote]

Nice racist attitude there.. Why don't you stop worrying about all the minorities and practice your spelling.  It's spelled "equal" not "equil" - genius...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runner02155. Show Runner02155's posts

Jailed, fined and 100% loss of pension.   But what I'd really love to see is the FF Union come down hard on him too.  If they back him, they will have lost every last thread of decency. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

This  is outright  thievery.  What a lot  of  nerve.  There is no way he is permanently disabled.  Give me a break..........There  is no way he is disabled except maybe mentally in thinking that this will be approved.   What a freaking fraud.   This  kind of  deceit needs to be exposed and the doctor who delcared that he is "Permanently Disabled" should be  barred from practicing medicine ever again in the world.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

[Quote]

Firefighters save lives, why does the paper always give them a bad name? havent heard anything good about the fire department in the paper. this seems like a one-sided view on firefighters. It seems like they are easy targets and the media just hammers them down, but when they need to get pulled out of a car or burning building they'll be waiting for their rescue. I dont get why they are so badly publicized when they are working around the clock to save the city. Maybe people are just too stupid and selfish too understand what they do.

[/Quote] This is not about firefighters in general, it is about this one particular firefighter.  One of my good friends was a firefighter that was injured on the job carrying an overweight person down that ladder.  The person was so overweight that he wrenched his back permanently, you won't see him entering body building contests in this life.  He put his life on the line to save this person without thinking twice and now he is paying for it everyday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgerry. Show jgerry's posts

[Quote]Lock him up, and the union is  to blame here.  there is a line of people who  would love a job as a boston firefighter.  Sorry but this and the drug testing issue is way over the line.  Time for the union to get a reality check.[/Quote]
    Cannot agree with the above quote more.  A complete lack of integrity,  another hometown hero who blew it...................

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenzenz. Show tenzenz's posts

Lock him up, lock up the doctor & the State's Insurance Fraud Commission should do everything in their power to bring Conspiracy & RICO Charges against the Union. Enough is Enough. I have been on disability as a result of a car accident more than a a year & a ahlf ago. I am just now getting the treatment I needed a year ago in order to get this better, & return to work. The kid who broadsided me had the minimal amount of insurance, so NO, I did not get any big insurance payoff from his insurance, & he was only 20 years old living on his own renting an apartment with his girlfirend. a No win situtation had I gone ahead & sued him. Meanwhile my own Car insurance Company with whom I had optional medical payments has continued to deny me any medical benefits beyond the state minimum, so I ended up going on Mass Health in order to get the care that my Doctors say I need. My Disability insurance that I paid for for several years continues to harass me & Ialways wonder if my check will be in the mail this month. I am getting screwed as well as many other legitamately disabled people in this state because of this SCUMBAG. If I did something like this, & not being a member of the BFD, I would have been in jail serving 10 years by now. This is the same old story as the State Employee's Worker's Comp scenario during the 70s & 80s. In the meantime, don't give Menino any more tax increases until he gets this wiped out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kimmielwe. Show Kimmielwe's posts

I think it's unfortunate that this guy, and a few others, are giving a false impression of firefighters.  I've had 5 back surgeries, metal implants, the whole thing and I've never been on disability!  Gimme a break-I'm older than this guy and if I can take 2-3 sick days for a back surgery and then go back to work full time, what's this cream puff doing lifting weights?  The authorities must get this guy on the hook for paying back the money-even if he cannot repay-to make a point. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox-n-pats-fan. Show sox-n-pats-fan's posts

As the article states, everyone in the fire department, from the ground up to the near top, has made his way by being a member of the union .  So, of course the administration is going to look the other way when this happens.  The doctor who examined him should go to jail for insurance fraud also.  This whole deal disgusts me.  The  Boston Fire Fighters disgust me, with their inebriation on the job, refusing drug tests and disability fraud.  It is also a prime example of the farse of unionization, only out to protect and enrich themselves.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CambridgeNel. Show CambridgeNel's posts

Of course he can repay it, they can take his pension.  

I'm another who is fed up with hearing about BFD.   Both my dad and grandfather were fire fighters with long careers in the fire service.  My dad had an on-the-job injury in his 40s that nearly took his life.  When he did survive, we were told he would never work again, yet he fought tooth and nail, through surgeries and rehab to get back to the job he so loved.  When a few others asked him "why" when it was obvious from the severity of his injuries that an early retirement would have quickly been approved, he said "and what will I do for the rest of my life?"   He went back and served 25 more years until he hit mandatory retirement age.  

Not all take advantage of the system.  Those that don't should not be tainted by those who do...    There are some outstanding members of the BFD.  It's too bad that the bad outshine them. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc123. Show tc123's posts

I'll bet he parks in the handicapped parking at the gym.  Does he limp a little when he gets out of the car to make it look good?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

[Quote]Of course he can repay it, they can take his pension.  

I'm another who is fed up with hearing about BFD.   Both my dad and grandfather were fire fighters with long careers in the fire service.  My dad had an on-the-job injury in his 40s that nearly took his life.  When he did survive, we were told he would never work again, yet he fought tooth and nail, through surgeries and rehab to get back to the job he so loved.  When a few others asked him "why" when it was obvious from the severity of his injuries that an early retirement would have quickly been approved, he said "and what will I do for the rest of my life?"   He went back and served 25 more years until he hit mandatory retirement age.  

Not all take advantage of the system.  Those that don't should not be tainted by those who do...    There are some outstanding members of the BFD.  It's too bad that the bad outshine them. [/Quote]I agree with you 100 all the way.  I posted a previous post about my good friend who cannot ever fight another fire again, he did what he had to do in the line of duty, did not think twice about it and as a result he was  permananetly disabled for the rest of his life.  The person he was rescuing was so obese that he permanently wrenched his back and cannot work. He has had so many surgeries for this incident, it's not funny.

Sections
Shortcuts