Bodybuilding firefighter seeks disability

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xosder33. Show xosder33's posts

I am saddened that people would even jump to the conclusion that this individual or the even the actions of a few individuals represent the entire Boston Fire Department.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goldfloor. Show goldfloor's posts

This makes my blood boil!  It's payback time fella - he'll be someone's b*#*h at Walpole.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from buck_stodgers. Show buck_stodgers's posts

[Quote]I am working for the city, fresh out of college.  I asked myself why do I have to pay union fee, i dont' need the union.  I have the skills, and put in 110% everyday.  But w/o the union, my salary would stay put, the union negotiate my raise, which about 2-3%.

So, the union benefit is there.  So, look at other people perspective before you make a comment.[/Quote]

So you would rather have someone else negotuiate your value for you and make it equal to that of everyone you work with? Your salary would only stay put if you refused to negotiate for yourself. Unions have lost much of their value, and mostly due to the selfish motives of their leaders. Look at what unions have done to the automotive industry - crippling it to near collapse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthPaw16. Show SouthPaw16's posts

[Quote]I am working for the city, fresh out of college.  I asked myself why do I have to pay union fee, i dont' need the union.  I have the skills, and put in 110% everyday.  But w/o the union, my salary would stay put, the union negotiate my raise, which about 2-3%.

So, the union benefit is there.  So, look at other people perspective before you make a comment.[/Quote]

How do you know your salary would stay put, if you work so hard and it's noticed you should receive a raise based on hard work, not on the fact that you are part of the union, that's how it works in every aspect of business that hasn't been affected by outdated unions. 

Unions are outdated, simple as that.  When they were first created back in the late 1800's and early 1900's they served a great purpose and that was to even out the power between heads of companies and employees.  They are not needed anymore! With the advancement of education and globalization all unions do is extort money out of companies and put them in financial distress (look at Ford).

Perfect example, this firefighter lied, got caught, and the fire commissioner says 'you can come back to work now'.  If there was no union, this guy would have been fired on the spot, a lawsuit would have been taken out against him, and he should be facing jail time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

this is  so "mumbles" He is aware of this stuff - trust me! He only comments when he gets caught
    That said, this person should be in prison for  lying, fraud grand larceny. His "doctor" should be as well. All "city" employees that have been deemed "disabled" by that same doctor should be re-examined by outside medical staff.  How stupid is this guy - go out on 100% TAX FREE disability FOR LIFE and show up at some stupid weight lifting thing - he gets what he deserves.  Make him pay back all the money PLUS interest and get him off the roles.  Then he needs to do time for the crime he committed as well as charging teh doctor for fraud and get his/her license rvolved. The AMA need sto be amde aware of this fraudulent claim, diagnosis and I bet he has also screwed the goverment and insurance companies for false claims that he eneds to pay back. THIS NEEDS IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.
    Hey, with all those muscles he can be a delivery guy/cleaner/laundry man in prison - I am sure the boys in there will love those ripples!!
    How disgusting - he will probably go back to his native land to avoid prosecution....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MelrosePaul. Show MelrosePaul's posts

Guess what people, he's not the only one!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from weenote. Show weenote's posts

If we the people do not put this man in jail, we support it and condone it.  Please, call the attorney general's office and demand action!  (617) 727-2200

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lisa802. Show Lisa802's posts

Why is it this easy to get benefits in the first place????

He gets one Dr's note with a bad back and they pay him tax free for life? That is insane -- I'd love to see that happen in the private sector. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXFAN1949. Show SOXFAN1949's posts

I thinkth.....OW!!!!! I just broke a nail typing this!!!!!!! I'll finish after I fiil out the paperwork for my disability pension.    Oh wait....never mind. I work in the private sector. DAMN!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcal. Show pcal's posts

Therer should be a tasks force that make sure those that get free checks are really legit.

Insurance companies do that all the time to catch fraud.  There are plenty of those that make injury claims against insurance companies, but it's probably easier to do that against the city since the penalty is to go back to work.

The city will save money by hire 2-3 people that check on those that get  these huge disability benefits.  If they committed fraud, make sure they go to jail and get the money back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

I so agree with you SouthPaw 16-2.

People need to remember one thing - you pay Union dues, you have no choice. The raise you get "2-3%"  is equal or not much more than the raise you get so what is your point?  There is NO benefit to the Union you are in. TRUE FACT... 
    I worked for the City for 18 years and was in the Union. I got a call the day i came home from the hospital to inform me that on that next Monday they were going to lay me off. "off the record" reason was "The Mayor was dissapointed that I didn't want to work politically for him"..yes, that is correct.  I "ignored the requests" for me to work with him and his cronies and I got screwed.  The person that called me wanted to "tell me herself and before I came back so I wasn't surprised, seeing we were so friendly"  I wanted to vomit!  I called my Union 7 times in 1 week (that I had paid a lot of money to) and they never called me back. The Union is a pathetic excuse for a Union but I had no choice, i had to belong and I had to pay. They did NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!
    That said - get a grip, don't depend on them. they are money sucking blood suckers that do nothing for you. 

I am now at retirement age but need to work till I die, I lost my opportunity for a pension from the City that I also gave "110% for 18 years" - thanks Mumbles, you pig. My wish is that you could feel the same financial burden you made me feel.
    I have all the respect for our firefighters adn policeofficers, stop getting down on them because of a few idiots. They should all be commended..thanks for what you do!

BTW..I was 1 week short of my 18th year anniversary and I got screwed. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I swear, the people on this board are funny and obviously have no idea how disability insurance and, by extension, worker's compensation works.

Take the "fraud" issue, example.  To prove fraud (a felony) in court, the evidence must prove INTENT to de-fraud the insurance company BASED ON the terms of the insurance policy.  Litigation efforts can take months or years and are very expensive.

It's another thing entirely to deny benefits based on medical corroboration or other evidence (such as surveillence video), again, BASED ON the policy language.

There's no question this guy is gaming the insurance provider, and, as such, his benefits will be suspended.  The insurance company and/or employer can then take legal action to retrieve monies paid in excess of the disability term, unless the policy has governance.  Worker's Compensation is a completely different entity with different laws; since this was a work-related injury, the issue gets much more complicated.

I understand the outrage, because I have intimate knowledge of disability claims and the people who have abused the 'system'.  But people should learn a little something about the topic at hand before firing off at the mouth.  Knowledge is power, and the more people know, the more we can do to prevent these types of abuses.  Think about it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mondernist. Show Mondernist's posts

[Quote]

I am saddened that people would even jump to the conclusion that this individual or the even the actions of a few individuals represent the entire Boston Fire Department.  

[/Quote]

I think you need to wake up up to the fact that your union and your profession in general have some *serious problems* given the constant news stories over the past year or so.  If so many of you are so concerned about being painted with the same brush, why doesn't the rank and file rise up and do smething instead of just complaining that "you're not all this this"?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

[Quote]Honestly!  His arrogant, flaunting, catch me if you can attitude adds another black mark on the door of firefighters. So many good, honest men who do put their lives on the line every day should not be lumped in with the few bad apples.  

He needs to be dealt with swiftly and publicly and there needs to be reform within the union and the state when it comes to handing out disabilities.  The doctors who write the fake letters and make  up non existent injuries should lose their license to practice.  
     [/Quote]

There are many good firefighters out there.  I went all through school with a guy who is a firefighter locally to me, he's done well and received many commendations.  It's too bad a guy like this has gotten away with this at all.  Some doctors are too ready to call something a "soft tissue" injury.  There is such a thing, and they are painful, but this guy apparently didn't even really hurt himself on the job, and is on regular sick leave now, not permanent disability. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyt. Show tonyt's posts

[Quote]Since when is $35k (starting pay) "high 5- and low 6-figure salaries"?

Get your facts straight before you start.[/Quote]

Sorry, rk, but it looks like starting salaries, at $46,000, may be a bit higher than what you quote.  See:

http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=firefighter+exam&l1=Boston%2C+MA

More at issue is overall salaries, not just starting:

Average salary (officers & firefighters): $103,817

Average salary (firefighters only): $96,165

(2006 figures, taking into account base pay, overtime, detail payments and City's share of health benefits)

See:

http://www.bmrb.org/content/upload/sr072.pdf.

It has been widely reported that Arroyo earns $68,133.

These are generous salaries for a public sector job, and, in exchange, a maximum of loyalty and a minimum of abuse should be expected. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmv1971. Show cmv1971's posts

[Quote]Jailed, fined and 100% loss of pension.   But what I'd really love to see is the FF Union come down hard on him too.  If they back him, they will have lost every last thread of decency. [/Quote]

Exactly, where is the outrage from other union members who ARE legitimately out on disability for a serious injury??

Firefighting is not an easy job by any means, I'm glad we have able-bodied people willing to do it - just like our law enforcement and our soldiers. But on the other hand, it's a choice so if you accept the job, you accept the risks.  To abuse the system this blatantly and be able to get away with it because of a powerful union is a joke. 

Have you ever seen what happens to a bodybuilder when they injure their back??  They typically get fat and lose abdominal tone because of the weakness/injury to the opposing back muscles.  It's almost impossible to stay in that kind of shape with a disabling back injury!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmv1971. Show cmv1971's posts

[Quote]The doctor who examined him should go to jail for insurance fraud also.  [/Quote]

I agree, the doctor needs to be held accountable too.  If I were the state I would want this case reviewed as well as any other this clown has approved for disability in the recent past...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ridiculous. Show Ridiculous's posts

[Quote]

BS.  Firefighters sleep most of the day, and polish the trucks.

When there is a fire, they get 500 trucks and equipment all over the largest area they can, and put on a big Hollywood drama show.

Look at me, I'm a fireman.

PRIVATIZE the fire dept. and make it an OPTION on your TAXES.

I have water sprinklers, and a fire hydrant, why am I paying for these BUM's(BostonUnionMembers)   to SLEEP, WORKOUT, READ, WASH THE TRUCK, and generally DO NOTHING 24x7.

Make PUBLIC SERVICES an optional Tax check off.

BUM's

[/Quote]

I'm sorry - does your job require you to put your life on the line for other people? Would you run into a burning building or rescue someone who is mangled from a car or train accident? Highly doubt it. The job of a firefighter should not be underestimated. Granted - yes, firemen may have a lot of lazy days. However, those few major fires and horrible car accidents a year more than compensate them for saving lives or at least doing their best to try. A Hollywood drama show? Are you serious? If you were ever the victim of a serious fire, you would think otherwise. Do not knock the jobs of these brave men and women. This Arroyo guy is a fraud - and regardless of his job title - should be jailed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[Quote]I'm sorry - does your job require you to put your life on the line for other people? Would you run into a burning building or rescue someone who is mangled from a car or train accident? Highly doubt it. The job of a firefighter should not be underestimated. Granted - yes, firemen may have a lot of lazy days. However, those few major fires and horrible car accidents a year more than compensate them for saving lives or at least doing their best to try. A Hollywood drama show? Are you serious? If you were ever the victim of a serious fire, you would think otherwise. Do not knock the jobs of these brave men and women. This Arroyo guy is a fraud - and regardless of his job title - should be jailed.[/Quote]

Does your job pay for you to sleep?  I think they should change the FF schedules to 8 hrs/shift and remove the beds. Have them do other productive things while not responding to a call.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ridiculous. Show Ridiculous's posts

[Quote]Does your job pay for you to sleep?  I think they should change the FF schedules to 8 hrs/shift and remove the beds. Have them do other productive things while not responding to a call.[/Quote]

No - my job doesn't pay me to sleep - but again, it also does not ask me to put my life on the line every day that I show up. And if it did, I better get a higher base salary than $46K. Even making almost $100K with overtime and details isn't enough money. One of the benefits of being a firemen is the flexible hours. If you take that away, then the $46K base salary definitely won't be enough for most people. Why would they work the standard 8 hour/5 days a week schedule for relatively low pay when they can get an equal or higher paying job working in an office and not have to worry about risking their lives? Reality check.

Again - this is all off topic. Regardless of Arroyo's job title, his benefits should be denied.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

"Why would they work the standard 8 hour/5 days a week schedule forrelatively low pay when they can get an equal or higher paying jobworking in an office and not have to worry about risking their lives?"

Oh - how 'bout because they are "heroes?"  I agree that there are many great FF's out there, but I think they are the minority.  Also, especially in small towns, they spend more time "off" while being paid than being "on."  I see them grocery shopping, sitting outside the firehouse, etc.  I'm sure there are more productive things they can be doing. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gorsch1. Show gorsch1's posts

Not only should this man be forced to return his entire disability pay and prosecuted for fraud, the doctor who wrote the letter should be forced to show his examination and "evidence" that there was a disability in the first place.  There may have been fraud involved on his/her part as well.

And why isn't there an independent physical examination when someone claims a disability such as this? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ridiculous. Show Ridiculous's posts

Oh - how 'bout because they are "heroes?"  I agree that there are many great FF's out there, but I think they are the minority.  Also, especially in small towns, they spend more time "off" while being paid than being "on."  I see them grocery shopping, sitting outside the firehouse, etc.  I'm sure there are more productive things they can be doing. [/Quote]

Oh please. I don't know any firefighter who wants to be called a "hero." Spend a few days in their shoes when they're arriving on accident scenes and battling 9 alarm fires and we'll see how quickly you change your tune. The great FF's out there are hardly the minority.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mondernist. Show Mondernist's posts

[Quote]Oh - how 'bout because they are "heroes?"  I agree that there are many great FF's out there, but I think they are the minority.  Also, especially in small towns, they spend more time "off" while being paid than being "on."  I see them grocery shopping, sitting outside the firehouse, etc.  I'm sure there are more productive things they can be doing. [/Quote]

Oh please. I don't know any firefighter who wants to be called a "hero." Spend a few days in their shoes when they're arriving on accident scenes and battling 9 alarm fires and we'll see how quickly you change your tune. The great FF's out there are hardly the minority.[/Quote]

Then, as I said earlier - how come the fire fighter rank and file doesn't rise up and do something about the bad apples in their union and in the profsssion?  What's with the persecution complex? Why do they bury their heads in the sand, refuse to change, and keep trying to play the "hero" card?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fiphe. Show fiphe's posts

hey bossj.  Your an idiot.  I know for a fact that Albert Arroyo is not related to former City Councilor Felix Arroyo.  I guess under your logic former Red Sox pitcher Bronson Arroyo and Felix Arroyo are related too.  You moron. 

By the way contrary to popular belief, Denzel Washington and George Washington aren't related either oh yeah neither are Benjamin Franklin and Aretha Franklin...I know shocking since they have the same last name and all.

Idiot