BOSTON NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON PANHANDLING, IT'S BECOMING A DANGEROUS PROBLEM!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LovingLife-Here. Show LovingLife-Here's posts

Panhandling is really becoming a problem throughout town and the city government and BPD do not seem to be doing anything to curb it.  Many of these aggressive panhandlers are either drunk and/or drugged up.  This creates a dangerous situation for pedestrians, motorists and the panhandlers themselves.  

It's a fact that panhandlers are fanning out from the infamous intersection of Melnea Cass Boulevard at Massachusetts Avenue in the South End and moving into other populated and residential areas of the city such as Dewey Square near South Station and Andrew Square in South Boston; Copley Square in the Back Bay and Everett Square in Dorchester.

Other major cities such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Fort Lauderdale have virtually eliminated (or greatly reduced) such activity by simply enforcing existent laws which prohibit public drunkenness and loitering. 

Boston has always been one of the few US cities that I have felt safe in.  Mayor Menino and other city officials need to crack down on this unsettling activity.  It not only creates a dangerous environment for Bostonians and tourists, but it's an embarrassment for the community.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Re: BOSTON NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON PANHANDLING, IT'S BECOMING A DANGEROUS PROBLEM!

"Other major cities such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Fort Lauderdale have virtually eliminated (or greatly reduced) such activity by simply enforcing existent laws which prohibit public drunkenness and loitering."

So what happens to the panhandlers in these other cities? They don't just disappear. They are going somewhere. I find it hard to believe panhandling is any less in these other cities. Maybe the police do enforce the laws more than in Boston. But that is only temporary. Once let go they're back on the streets as most have nowhere else to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dotguy02125. Show dotguy02125's posts

Re: BOSTON NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON PANHANDLING, IT'S BECOMING A DANGEROUS PROBLEM!

LovingLife is right.  I've noticed many more beggars in Boston too.  I just came back from a business trip in Philly and you don't see nearly as many vagrants as you used to see there because the city sent them back to where they came from.  A lot of these beggars don't even live in the city.  The guy that chumps for $$$ with his pal in Fed Plaza downtown is from Rhode Island!  Boston offers the best begging opps so its a haven for those looking to take advantage... many of whom retreat back to the burbs at the end of the day!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I don't know what the answer is, but the situation is intolerable. If an employer kept such a "hostile environment", he would get sued.  You can't walk the streets of Boston, especially in the places already mentioned, North Station, South Station, and others without being accosted for "spare" change, cigarettes, train fare, etc.  It's disgusting, and especially threatening to women, the elderly, and the disabled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

When I was living in Philly back in the late 80's/early 90's the panhandling was off the charts. You literally couuldn't walk a block without someone approaching you for spare change. And it wasn't just asking sometimes, it got the level of being accosted and sometimes threatened. I remember one time a guy sitting in a doorway asked me for change as I was walking to meet up with some friends. I said sorry, I don't have any change, so he spat at me. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Meffa is right.

D.C. is intolerable. Probably because of the warm weather and high tourist count. They will sometimes confront you and yell at you, then follow you around. Almost to the point of bordering on robbery.

But D.C. doesn't compare to some of the third world places I've been where they will actually try to sell you their sister for some cigarettes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

The trouble is that a lot of the activities are legally protected.  "Loitering" (hanging out on public property) is not a crime.  Approaching someone to ask for money is a form of speech.  There are limits, of course.  Threatening and disorderly behavior that disrupts the peace or harms an individual are criminal offenses.  And you can be taken into protective custody for being drunk and a danger to yourself. You can clean up the situation, but you will need cops on the streets, not cruising by in patrol cars. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Weiss101. Show Weiss101's posts

Yeah it's true.  Panhandling is getting pretty awful in Boston and there are ways to better control the situation.  The city should get a solution or it's going to get out of control.

Too bad Ross, Arroyo and mumbles are too busy planning a scheme to protect illegal aliens in AZ instead of creating a safe environment for Bostonians. 

What a laugh!  Vote 'em out!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mastershake807. Show mastershake807's posts

The best way to stop it is to simply not give them money.  I never give bums money cause if you give a bum a doller then there will be 2 there the next day looking for a handout. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

In Response to BOSTON NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON PANHANDLING, IT'S BECOMING A DANGEROUS PROBLEM!:
    Panhandling is really becoming a problem throughout town and the city government and BPD do not seem to be doing anything to curb it.  Many of these aggressive panhandlers are either drunk and/or drugged up.  This creates a dangerous situation for pedestrians, motorists and the panhandlers themselves.   It's a fact that panhandlers are fanning out from the infamous intersection of Melnea Cass Boulevard at Massachusetts Avenue in the South End and moving into other populated and residential areas of the city such as Dewey Square near South Station and Andrew Square in South Boston; Copley Square in the Back Bay and Everett Square in Dorchester. Other major cities such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Fort Lauderdale have virtually eliminated ( or greatly reduced)  such activity by simply enforcing existent laws which prohibit public drunkenness and loitering.  Boston has always been one of the few US cities that I have felt safe in.  Mayor Menino and other city officials need to crack down on this unsettling activity.  It not only creates a dangerous environment for Bostonians and tourists, but it's an embarrassment for the community.
    Posted by LovingLife-Here

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

I have lived here my entire life, and I live near and often drive through the areas you mention.

I never have, and still don't, feel threatened.

Find a real problem.  You're doing okay.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Well there you have it. Problem solved. Everyone can go home now. Thanks for coming.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVanHecht. Show CVanHecht's posts

In Response to Re: BOSTON NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON PANHANDLING, IT'S BECOMING A DANGEROUS PROBLEM!:
    I have lived here my entire life, and I live near and often drive through the areas you mention. I never have, and still don't, feel threatened. Find a real problem.  You're doing okay.
    Posted by aynnie

This is a real problem, aynnie.  I drive through the intersection of Melnea Cass and Mass Avenue near BU Medical every day and the panhandlers near the meth clinic there are out of control.  It's a very dangerous situation that needs to be addressed.  There are people who may not be saavy to city life who visit the medical center and hotels and there are folks that live in that area and they deserve to be protected.  Sorry, it's not okay!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from c2d04eefce43050aed85a90f502b8c2f. Show c2d04eefce43050aed85a90f502b8c2f's posts

In Response to Re: BOSTON NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON PANHANDLING, IT'S BECOMING A DANGEROUS PROBLEM!:
    In Response to Re: BOSTON NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON PANHANDLING, IT'S BECOMING A DANGEROUS PROBLEM! : This is a real problem, aynnie.  I drive through the intersection of Melnea Cass and Mass Avenue near BU Medical every day and the panhandlers near the meth clinic there are out of control.  It's a very dangerous situation that needs to be addressed.  There are people who may not be saavy to city life who visit the medical center and hotels and there are folks that live in that area and they deserve to be protected.  Sorry, it's not okay!
    Posted by CVanHecht

I go through there too, and yes, they are very annoying.  But I roll up the windows and totally ignore them.  Although you DO have to be careful not to run them over, I agree.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVanHecht. Show CVanHecht's posts

In Response to Re: BOSTON NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON PANHANDLING, IT'S BECOMING A DANGEROUS PROBLEM! : I go through there too, and yes, they are very annoying.  But I roll up the windows and totally ignore them.  Although you DO have to be careful not to run them over, I agree.
    Posted by mypug

It is not just annoying, it is dangerous.  Those panhandlers are high on Meth and begging for money to support their addiction.  You are lucky, you can easily roll up your windows and go on your way.  People who live in this area of the South End or visitors who walk from the hotels in the immediate area to the hospitals for treatment or to visit loved ones aren't as fortunate.  It's like being in Miami a few years ago before they cleaned things up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcfergie. Show dcfergie's posts

Pan handling and begging should be banned,I watched several of them not to long ago hey I was bored and needed a good laugh ,so I watch this one couple park their car get out get thier fake signs made up homeless ,hungry,typical lying crap grap their canes then off the go to rt16 and mass ave to beg both of them working opposite corners oh I forgot the fake limps.but you really have to pay attention people they claim homeless but the look no beard growth clean shaven,gold chains,new sneakers and people fall for it. then after their daily score back to the car they go change into new clothes jump into their jeep laughing how do they get the new clothes welfare and we pay for it.WE NEED WELFARE REFORM

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Deck81. Show Deck81's posts

I live 1 block away from there on Mass Ave and I have lived in the South End my entire life. I have never witnessed a panhandler at the Melna Cass Blvd/ Mass Ave intersection accost a civilian to the point where they felt uncomfortable or threatened. If this was a real issue or threat it would have been addressed already. Like the other poster said when they come up to ask for change pull up your windows, keep walking or say sorry sir I don't have any change. I have lived in the SE for 28 years and have done all those things on multiple occasions and never felt like they were going to do harm to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kayje. Show Kayje's posts

In comparision to other cities, Boston definitely has a lower "panhandler presence". In Seattle, you cannot walk a block without encountering a homeless young man. BPD probably needs to chose their tactics wisely. Instead of arresting the guy that hangs out at Dunkin's, they should concentrate on those that are endangering others and themselves. For example, the guys with signs that stand in the middle of the J-Way or Cambridge Street. They are going to get killed! 

With that in mind, the BPD should not allow ANYONE to approach a moving vehicle and ask for for money. I don't care if you get a tootsie roll or not!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Pan handling and begging should be banned,I watched several of them not to long ago hey I was bored and needed a good laugh ,so I watch this one couple park their car get out get thier fake signs made up homeless ,hungry,typical lying crap grap their canes then off the go to rt16 and mass ave to beg both of them working opposite corners oh I forgot the fake limps.but you really have to pay attention people they claim homeless but the look no beard growth clean shaven,gold chains,new sneakers and people fall for it. then after their daily score back to the car they go change into new clothes jump into their jeep laughing how do they get the new clothes welfare and we pay for it.WE NEED WELFARE REFORM
    Posted by dcfergie

Oh, okay.  I actually live and drive through this area, and I can assure you these people do not appear well-dressed to me.

In case you have been in a Rip Van Winkle the past 20 years, we have had major, needed, welfare reform.  People may be scamming the system, but nobody on welfare is living in any way that I envy.  Shut off the caveman radio.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from amd02148. Show amd02148's posts

People really dont realize how dangerous panhandling can be. My mother has a co-worker who reached in her pocket book to give a man a dollar, the man pushed her to the ground and stole her pocket book. What if the man seriously hurt her?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmats311. Show cosmats311's posts

Most of the homeless people i've seen are NOT high, are NOT pushy and will stand in basically the same area for hours on end to get a few dollars.  Most of them will thank you with a smile too and even if they do see me again a day after I gave them a dollar will not bother me for more.  Obviously everyone will not be like this but have a heart too... most of these people are not dangerous criminals like you make them out to be.  The "REPORTED" unemployment rate is about 9% This only means 9% of the population is elgible for unemployment benefits.  The real unemployment numbers in Mass I'd have to say are anywhere from 16%-24%.  And if you live in RI, well... god bless is all I can say!  What do you want these people to do?  starve to death?  why don't you let a friend hold onto your credit cards and money for a few days and see what you'll do to put something in your stomach?   Starting a war on the homeless is an awful idea  why don't you go back to complaining about the cape wind project with all your stuck-up yuppie friends that are so much better than everyone.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

If it is a problem at a particular intersection, have you bothered to pick up the phone and call that location's city councillor as well as the local police precinct's community liaison officer?   

Don't paint the entire city with a broad brush.  I worked near North Station for months; the panhandlers were not threatening, abusive, or troublesome. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesvalseuses. Show lesvalseuses's posts

Bull.

People are out of work, programs have been cut.

If you all feel so threatened then stay in the burbs.

Then instead of whining and finger pointing, try to help.
    Participate, volunteer, donate, support programs that help people survive, etc.

Chances are "those people" don't really want to be begging.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: BOSTON NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON PANHANDLING, IT'S BECOMING A DANGEROUS PROBLEM! : This is a real problem, aynnie.  I drive through the intersection of Melnea Cass and Mass Avenue near BU Medical every day and the panhandlers near the meth clinic there are out of control.  It's a very dangerous situation that needs to be addressed.  There are people who may not be saavy to city life who visit the medical center and hotels and there are folks that live in that area and they deserve to be protected.  Sorry, it's not okay!
    Posted by CVanHecht

Why aren't you using public transportation, instead of carrying a heavy carbon footprint?

Two problems solved.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Sheesh, folks. If you don't like panhandlers, just say no.

See? Easy-peasy.