Bruins Parade

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Re: Bruins Parade

In Response to Bruins Parade:
    [QUOTE](NECN: Boston, Mass.) - Boston Bruins President Cam Neely praised fans and the team for the character they showed in winning the Boston franchise's first Stanley Cup since 1972. "I know how passionate they are, I know how excited they are. It's a good feeling," Neely said. Saturday will be a great day in the city, said Boston mayor Thomas Menino, who also appeared at the morning press conference with Neely. The parade will start at Boston's TD Banknorth Garden, and end at Copley Square in the Back Bay, similar to past routes followed by the www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bottom_line/2011/06/bruins-win-would-give-boston-unequaled.html " /> many championship parades Boston sports fans have enjoyed in the past six years.  "This is about the players, about the players having a great time," the mayor said. Mumbles, I love ya man, but no, thats not what its about.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    So you are the one!

Seriously though, I think this is another cluster by hiz honor the Mayor. No speaking? Who wouldn't PAY to hear Thorny after a parade and a few pops? "Moses Malone does eat bleep" would be pushed aside in Boston sports lore! I hate these rolling rallies!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Pre-the Snelgrove incident, whenever one of our teams won a title, we celebrated A) with a victory parade through the streets downtown and B) a reception for the victorious team at City Hall. While both parts were integral to the celebration, clearly the reception at City Hall Plaza was the main event. The parade was introductory

It annoys me that Menino wont allow the large fan gatherings at the plaza anymore. What is he afraid of? The big dummy. I want to hear the players address their fans damnit. That's the fun part of the whole thing. It's what everyone waits for. The parade is nice too, but it's all a prelude

And I hate the term "rolling rally" too. It's just a happy-sounding, made-up name used to help disguise the fact that Menino wiped out half the party

Pfffffft...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Well..at least Menino didn't refer to the Bruins players are "great ballplayers"...which is what he called them earlier..I kept waiting for him to say it again on Saturday..but he never did..lol

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

By now, Menino should be an expert at organizing victory parades. Boston has hosted seven of them over the past 9 1/2 years. So he has had a lot of practice. It's not like this was anything new he had to deal with

But again, why no celebration in City Hall Plaza?

Every city in America that has ever hosted a Victory Parade has also provided a venue for the victorious team to address its fan base. The direct interaction between team and fan that results is a part of the victory parade experience. Without it, the celebration in my opinion is incomplete

So please stop defending the Big Dummy on this issue

Thanks...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Parade:
    [QUOTE]I am not a huge fan of the Mayor, but in this case you should look at the glass being half full rather than empty. The Mayor organized a great parade and it went off in style and with no real problems.  This is going to cost the taxpayers a few bucks, no matter which way you look at it. The Mayor gets an A plus for the parade, regardless of what he said. And why would anyone be concentrating on a statement of the Mayor, with all the excitement we have had this past week?
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]
    I agree that the mayor ( and the city) deserve major kudos for putting this together in such a short time..
    My comment about Menino was meant in humor..I just thought it was funny ( and typical) of him to refer to the Bruin's as ball players...I am sure it is hard for him to keep up will all the great sports in Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]By now, Menino should be an expert at organizing victory parades. Boston has hosted seven of them over the past 9 1/2 years. So he has had a lot of practice. It's not like this was anything new he had to deal with But again, why no celebration in City Hall Plaza? Every city in America that has ever hosted a Victory Parade has also provided a venue for the victorious team to address its fan base. The direct interaction between team and fan that results is a part of the victory parade experience. Without it, the celebration in my opinion is incomplete So please stop defending the Big Dummy on this issue Thanks...
    Posted by AcheNot[/QUOTE]

The Bruins did address their fans and many speeches were given...all of this happened outside the Garden at beginning of the parade. I am okay with this happening this way.The Garden is where the Bruins play and the area is much bigger..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Parade : The Bruins did address their fans and many speeches were given...all of this happened outside the Garden at beginning of the parade. I am okay with this happening this way.The Garden is where the Bruins play and the area is much bigger..
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

I know, but it's not the same thing. A totally different vibe. It should be at the end, not the beginning. The grand finale, not the intro

Am I the only one who feels this way?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE] One big reason why there are no more celebrations on the plaza woud be:  instead of walking to a bathroom, the drunks were unrinating right there, and often on females. Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Baloney. Has nothing to do with it, and you know it

You sound like a lackey for the mayor now...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Parade : I know, but it's not the same thing. A totally different vibe. It should be at the end, not the beginning. The grand finale, not the intro Am I the only one who feels this way?
    I think these things are a matter of perspective...they certainly had the crowd pumped outside the Garden..two days later my son is still psyched over the experience. I have to believe that area was bigger and crowd control easier at the Garden..personally..for me Game7 was the only finale I needed..everything else is just extra..

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

[QUOTE]and you sound like someone who could not organize a beer run without arriving late. organize something on this level, and then you can throw stones.   Can you read?  I am not even a fan of Tom, but I give credit where credit is due.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Playing the role of tough guy is the liberal quoted above.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE]and you sound like someone who could not organize a beer run without arriving late. organize something on this level, and then you can throw stones.   Can you read?  I am not even a fan of Tom, but I give credit where credit is due.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Where did I say that the parade wasnt well organized? My point is that it is missing a key element. Has been since 2004. Your boy, Menino, is the reason that key element is missing

And btw, for three years running I have written, hosted, and produced the highly successful RoyGBiv Appreciation Day event. I am also the founder of the 25 for 25 Foundation. So I know a thing or two about organization...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Parade : I think these things are a matter of perspective...they certainly had the crowd pumped outside the Garden..two days later my son is still psyched over the experience. I have to believe that area was bigger and crowd control easier at the Garden..personally..for me Game7 was the only finale I needed..everything else is just extra..

On the 4th of July, the highlight for most people is the fireworks display. Event organizers usually place it at the beginning of the festivities for maximum impact, right?

Oh, wait a minute...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Youre off-topic again, jack. Just like yesterday

Youre trying to turn this thread into a referendum on the Menino administration, whereas I am focusing on one decision he made in 2004 that still pisses me off

PS Hard to believe youre not on the Big Dummy's payroll, but I will take you at your word...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Parade : On the 4th of July, the highlight for most people is the fireworks display. Event organizers usually place it at the beginning of the festivities for maximum impact, right? Oh, wait a minute...
    Hmm..comparing this event with a July 4th tradition is a pretty weak argument. It's like comparing apples to ..well...cheesburgers..one has nothing to do with the other.
    2004 was in the past..it's time for you to move on...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

My point is that the fireworks are the main feature of the July 4th celebration

Just like the post-parade address by the players to the fans is the main feature of a victory celebration

At least it was for some of us who remember what a Boston sports parade was like before 2004...  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

Thanks AcheNot the tag-team got you now.
    I get a reprieve.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks AcheNot the tag-team got you now. I get a reprieve.
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]
    Once agaim OAMFLO adds his/her cutting edge wisdom to the conversation...he/she must be a real joy in life..lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Parade : Once agaim OAMFLO adds his/her cutting edge wisdom to the conversation...he/she must be a real joy in life..lol

Thanks for taking note.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Threads take various twists and turns. You should know that by now

My initial post in this thread was in response to Brat13 who was the first to mention "no speaking" by the players

My response to him became the de facto thread topi

Little did I know that my message would provoke such a defensive reaction from a Menino supporter (in denial) like you...