C-sections

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

C-sections

One out of three infants born in Massachusetts in 2006 were deliveredby Caesarean section, the highest proportion ever, according to a statereport released today that charts a dramatic rise in surgicaldeliveries in the past decade.

Do you think c-section surgery is overused?

Read the article

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

C-sections

LOL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

C-sections

Overused according to who or is it whom? If it's a woman's choice to have a c-section then how can that be considered overused? I'm just asking the question as I have no idea if c-section are ordered by the doc or chosen by the patient or combo of the two.�

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

C-sections

I tend to agree, for first births/no known complications/for the convenience of the mother c-sections are overused.� However, once a woman has one c-section, it's more likely she'll have to have others for subsequent births.�

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

C-sections

If it's done for the convenience of the doctor, or because the mother is "too busy" to go into labor, that's a bit sketchy, putting a woman under anesthesia.� If it's to ensure a healthy birth, then probably not.� It may vary by doctor/hospital� too.� Some places may be more willing to order a C-section than others, just as some doctors will prescribe anti-biotics over the phone because a patient wants them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

C-sections

Oh, yeah, major abdominal surgery is very routine, and there aren't ever complications.��

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

C-sections

Ok that makes sense.

BTW, I knew what a c-section was....just didn't know if they were ordered by doc or could be requested even if doc didn't recommend it.

Thanks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

C-sections

Perhaps this is a foreign concept to you, but some women want children.� It's more than "some soreness"--muscles are cut and sewn back together.� It's "easier" in terms of pain during the birth, but there is far more risk of complications, like infections.� Add to that the recovery time is about double a natural birth, �and it really isn't "easy".�� Go back to oogling unsuspecting library patrons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

C-sections

��� http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/02/10/saving_monica/

This is enough to make someone think twice about it . . .

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

C-sections

My sister had to have a c-section, as her daughter simply wouldn't budge.� She fought it for a long time, but in the end it was the only way.� I don't like the idea of having a c-section for convenience, but there are medical reasons to do it.�

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

C-sections

It certainly would be for me, at least for a voluntary c-section.�

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

C-sections

Appreciated!Now the more important�question....did you have the GI Joe with the kung fu grip???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

C-sections

Of course it is.� Doctors don't want to get sued.� When they see the first sign of trouble they choose C-section because it is a more controllable environment to deliver the baby.� Of course surgery is risky but so isn't delivering a baby.� I'd expect dr's feel like they have more control during a c-section.Hospital stay is much longer, recovery longer, more expensive for insurance companies but doctors get to keep practicing and don't get sued.� Just another example of how our health system is messed up.� Obama will fix it.� He has the experience in the medical industry, he has the experience in insurance, he has the experience implementing new business practices, he has the�general�business experience to get it done. (just kdding)�

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

C-sections

I'm pretty much just saying you are a fool, but you knew that.��

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

C-sections

this is quite a story - made me cry.
    I am taken back by this, unfortunately this can happen with any surgeries not just c-sections,� but it amkes me think about elective surgery..I think no if given the choice unless it is absolutly medically necessary
    thanks for sharing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortysomething. Show fortysomething's posts

C-sections

Having had a c-section after laboring for 36 hours I can honestly say that it wasn't the best experience and I don't understand why a woman would choose this method if not medically necessary. The recovery is longer, I wasn't able to nurse my baby for the first 5 days because of complications and by that time, switching him from bottle to breast was incredibly difficult. I sufferend a more prolonged post partum depression because we didn't bond immediately like most mothers get to during a routine vaginal birth with immediate nursing afterwards. PLUS, c-section babies are far more likely to develop breathing difficulties such as asthma, croop and whooping cough because the ambiotic fluid isn't squeezed from his lungs during the birthing process. We spent a great deal of time in the hospital for the first 6 months and I wold NEVER do it again unless I had to.� However, many young parents are far more interested in the convenience rather than the having an emotionally rewarding and physically traditional birthing experience so I'm sure you will see many people here in favor of c-sections on demand.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from car402. Show car402's posts

C-sections

I think if it is medically necessary. I mean, who would want to go through that unless they had to....not very comfortable from what I imagine. If someone wants a surgical delivery for any other reason...well then to each "her" own. There is enough pain involved doing it naturally...why add to it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cooper2. Show cooper2's posts

C-sections

Now here is something I've� had some�experience at! � Let me start out by saying that I have 2 kids and one on the way.� My first child was 10lbs/3oz.� You read that right - no typos.� I was 14 days overdue.� I didn't want t c-section and did everything, I mean everything to get the little guy to come out - walking long distances, eating certain foods, getting my hubby to help out (wink, wink), you get the picture.� I wanted a natural delivery and by God, I wasn't going to take no for an answer.� Then 14 days later, my placenta was deteriorating and the baby's heart rate was low,� They offered me a c-section and I said yes. Yes because they told me that I was barely 1 centimeter dialated, yes because the baby was in distress and yes because it wasn't about my welfare, it was about my kid's welfare and if I had to be sliced open then so be it if my child was going to be okay.Second one, yup I'm going VBAC - nope 8.5lb baby who liked to turn and turn except she didn't like to be in that oh so needed down position.� No dialation nothing.� Again, it's not about me. So c-section again.� #3 if it comes down I need another c-section, oh well. From experience, there was not a moment when I said, I need a c-section because it's convenient. That is absurd and mostly it doesn't happen. I think if it's used more it's done because the doctors do it for fear of being sued.� I'm sorry for the woman who had an issue bonding with your child and nursing but I didn't experience that because I had a c-section.� I have friends that told me that they went through 36 hours of labor and then ended up with a section and then had post partum because they had it in their mind that they were going to end up giving birth naturally and after all that �end with a section.� They thought more that they went through birth twice basically.� As far as nursing, the majority of women have issues nursing their first whether you have a section or�not.�� I nursed both and found that the 2nd was so much easier.� I say this only because I don't want pregnant women to fear that there will be a loss of bonding or nursing if you have a section. It's simply not true in most cases.��

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cooper2. Show cooper2's posts

C-sections

Sorry forthysomething you took things so personally.� Sorry you had such a hard time bonding with your kid.� However, my message was not intended to down your experience as I posted originally�but tell others that it's not always as bad as your experience and there is life after c-section with your kid.� I think it's time you took your meds. Have a great day!�

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mam05. Show mam05's posts

C-sections

One of the people interviewed in the article attributed the increase in c-sect. due to obesity & older women giving birth - both risk factors that are leading to more c-sections. Could it be possible that the # of elective cs may not have changed that much over the years, and instead, those other medical factors mentioned above are increasing the overall %?� It's just another reflection of our society - 2/3 overweight & not taking care of their bodies & medical intervention becomes a necessary evil.�� As for the older aged women giving birth, that trend will only continue & so probably c-sect. will remain high for that age group. I'm starting to�favor�govt-intervention in life coaching down the road so that our society will learn to eat right & move daily.� I really believe it would be a domino effect that leads to more accountability�& a lot less healthcare intervention & costs.��

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phoebekitty. Show phoebekitty's posts

C-sections

It's completely offensive how ignorant this poster is.First, women are not "put under" for a c-section except for rare emergency cases.� Anesthesia is an epidural or spinal -same as a vaginal delivery.Second, there is nothing easy about recovery from abdominal surgery.� Women are not allowed to resume normal activiites for a longer amount of time than vaginal births and the pain from this incision is usually worse.That being said, it is still a private decision between a woman and her Dr.� Not one people like you should chime in on.Please get your facts straight before commmenting on something you have absolutely no clue about.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from em3. Show em3's posts

C-sections

Yes sometimes, but most often NO.� Massachusetts has a high percentage of older mothers who are more likely to experience complicated deliveries.� Some of these older moms are using fertility drugs or IVF and are having multiples, which� requires a c-section.� I get really angry when this comes up.� I had an emergency c-section because of preeclampsia - a dangerous condition of pregnancy that threatens the life of the baby and mother.� If I didn't have a c-section, our child would not be here today with us.� For all those natural birth loving, breastfeeding or die mothers, there's nothing wrong with natural birthing, if you can go through it.� Realize that Boston has several HIGH-RISK L&D units in hospitals here, and they are HIGH-RISK in this region for a reason. Let me tell everyone of you out there, if you develop rapid onset preeclampsia you will thank God, your lucky stars,�and your doctors for�their ability to perform emergency�c-sections.� People really need to stop and think before asking these questions.�

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

C-sections

Thanks cooper for a post that make sense.

As someone with two c-sections I agree with you on all points. My firstwas after 36 hours of labor and no dilation, with the baby's heartbeatgetting week. I wanted to give birth vaginal, but I did listen to mydoctor, who was not happy with the way my labor was going.
    My second one was elective, I have to admit, but again - since I was an"older" woman and since I already had one section, my doctor stronglyrecommended I give birth by c-section. So, again I listened to him.

I nursed both my babies. The first one for 7 months and the second for11 months until he could drink from a cup (never had a bottle).

I believe all this negativisme in regard to c-sections come frompeople, who have never been pregnant and never had to make a choice ondelivering a baby. Having a major surgery is just not something onechoose out of convenience.

As far as mothers not bonding with their baby, because they had ac-section - is in my opinion pure hog-wash. Those mothers wouldprobably have had bonding problems no matter what.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

C-sections

Yes, we definately need the government involved in yet another aspect of our personal lives.

Check out how many people in our society, both young and old, are overweight and out of shape.� We both pay for their heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, hypertension and cancer, through higher insurance premiums, higher taxes, and higher hospital costs.� No one gets insured or treated medically and charged by the pound ... even drivers get insurance discounts for good habits.

Our health care costs nationally are twice any other country, and our outcomes in terms of longevity and infant mortality are way down the list.

I don't care for the idea of having to pay indirectly for some lardass's heart attack.� I share your skepticism of government intrusion in our lives, but what do you recommend?� Hospitals and our government aren't going to say "You don't have money or insurance, so you die" to people in the ER, and until they do, it is in all of our interests to find ways to make the population healthier and more responsible.� What to do?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortysomething. Show fortysomething's posts

C-sections

I totally agree with you Ina. The only caveat to that is that I actually work with 2 women who described themselves as having BEGGED their dr's for C-section so they would have a baby with a perfectly shaped head, the convenience of knowing the exact date of delivery and to plan their pedicures around it! Yes, I kid you not. The only thing more appalling than this is the fact that the doctors in question actually agreed to this. �I think the increased rate is a combination of many factors that are not necessarily preventable and�is a private decision between doctor and patient. If the AMA is really worried about overuse they should address it within their own rank and file since there is no way to get a c-section without a doctors approval.